Same Day Change Without Penalty

Old Sep 27, 17, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
Same Day Change Without Penalty

I'm booked on the 8.20 pm flight IST-LHR and I was wondering if it would be possible to take an earlier flight either 6.35 pm or 2.30 by asking the GA at Ataturk without penalty. Has anyone managed to do this? I'm TK Elite if it makes any difference. Should I make the effort to arrive early, is it worth the try?

Last edited by aircommodore; Sep 27, 17 at 4:37 am
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:49 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Last year, my request for getting on the earlier IST-CPH flight was denied. I inquired at the gate and at TK transfer desk. But I'm no longer TK elite so I cannot rule out that elite status can make a difference.

My gut feeling is that your chance is very low as this is international flight (not domestic where your chance would have been higher). Good luck!
Old Sep 27, 17, 7:41 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
For international flights they will not accommodate; only on domestic and only if it is within a four hour window of the original flight.
Old Sep 27, 17, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by siberslava View Post
For international flights they will not accommodate; only on domestic and only if it is within a four hour window of the original flight.
I beg to differ.

It never hurts to ask.

Shuly
Old Sep 27, 17, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shuly View Post
It never hurts to ask.
Exactly. YMMV.

Status helps. Fare class helps. Experienced / customer-friendly agent helps.

AFAIK there's no policy that specifically prohibits same day changes but you always have to be willing to fly on the flight you booked. IST is one of the better airports in the world to be stuck in the lounge for a few hours.
Old Sep 28, 17, 12:51 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Exactly. YMMV.

Status helps. Fare class helps. Experienced / customer-friendly agent helps.

AFAIK there's no policy that specifically prohibits same day changes but you always have to be willing to fly on the flight you booked. IST is one of the better airports in the world to be stuck in the lounge for a few hours.
In my experience, the biggest problem is transit baggage - TK is totally unable to handle the necessary re-labelling changes. With no checked baggage, seat availability, status and a friendly agent, it is possible to change to an earlier flight.
Old Sep 29, 17, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
As expected it did't work. The only exception is the case apparently when your original flight is overbooked in which case agents receive a message authorizing them to ask passengers if they are willing to take an earlier flight.
Old Sep 30, 17, 10:06 pm

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
Originally Posted by aircommodore View Post
As expected it did't work. The only exception is the case apparently when your original flight is overbooked in which case agents receive a message authorizing them to ask passengers if they are willing to take an earlier flight.
It is perhaps necessary to make a distinction between transfer and other flights. If you check in at IST for a flight, there is approximately 0% chance of changing your flight unless the booking conditions allow this, you pay a penalty or you have 'connections'.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: