Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

First time flying TK business class and disappointed

Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

Flew PEK-IST-MIA in Business Class with wife and child. On both sectors the crew couldn't be more disinterested and was downright rude. They clearly seemed like they didn't want to be bothered. Food was also very disappointing. We had a choice between two appetizers on both flights. On the first flight the crew never served the soup course and no appetizer trolley on either flight. Every jump seat was taken by VERY underdressed TK cabin crew (not working the flight). When we got to the lounge in IST it was PACKED. Two hour wait for showers and trash everywhere. We even had to wait inline to use the toilets. The lounge was also in significant disrepair. This was clearly not the airline I've heard great things about.

Last edited by flyer121; Jul 22, 2017 at 1:47 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:57 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
1. Rude F/A on TK? I have been flying with them fairly extensively for the last 4 years and have never experienced rude F/A. Could you provide details?
2. As reported on this forum - appetizer cart is gone.
3 Lounge situation was also discussed on this forum - workaround is to use the area downstairs - less crowded and shorter shower wait times. I do not expect the situation to improve until the new airport opens in 2018 or 2019 (the current one would then be closed).
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by flyer121
Flew PEK-IST-MIA in Business Class with wife and child. On both sectors the crew couldn't be more disinterested and was downright rude. They clearly seemed like they didn't want to be bothered. Food was also very disappointing. We had a choice between two appetizers on both flights. On the first flight the crew never served the soup course and no appetizer trolley on either flight. Every jump seat was taken by VERY underdressed TK cabin crew (not working the flight). When we got to the lounge in IST it was PACKED. Two hour wait for showers and trash everywhere. We even had to wait inline to use the toilets. The lounge was also in significant disrepair. This was clearly not the airline I've heard great things about.
I've had crew members with less than stellar language skills, others less interested than others, and the very occasional cultural dissonance: but never rudeness.

In the same way, food might not always have been my dream menu, but I've very rarely felt disappointed: so I'm sorry to hear that you were.

As for the lounge and its showers - that is a mess, and you're taking pot luck if you subscribe to the service in busy hours.

But, again, I find it difficult to reconcile my experience of the lounge with "trash everywhere" and the place being in disrepair. Perhaps you hit on a time between shifts, but I'd hope the new team got to work and quickly cleared up the mess their colleagues had failed to deal with.

I'm sorry if this reads like the post of a THY apologist. It isn't, and I'm not!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
I fly TK rather frequently (at least 1 RT long haul trip a month) and I have definitely seen my fair share of rude flight attendants both in Y and J. However it's the same case on most airlines I fly with. It's just something you need to accept regardless of which airline you fly - there are going to be flight attendants sometimes that simply aren't in great moods.

I do agree that the food offering on TK has declined in the past several months and the lounge is severely over utilized. C'est la vie.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EK788
I fly TK rather frequently (at least 1 RT long haul trip a month) and I have definitely seen my fair share of rude flight attendants both in Y and J. However it's the same case on most airlines I fly with. It's just something you need to accept regardless of which airline you fly - there are going to be flight attendants sometimes that simply aren't in great moods.

I do agree that the food offering on TK has declined in the past several months and the lounge is severely over utilized. C'est la vie.
Only one airlines defides the odds.......SINGAPORE!!!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Only one airlines defides the odds.......SINGAPORE!!!
Completely disagree. One of my worst experiences was when my traveling companion got airsick on an SQ flight, and the flight attendants were terrifically rude and unhelpful. Every airline has its bad apples, some more than others. Overall, I'd say rude FAs on TK are fairly rare - I usually find that they are helpful and reasonably friendly, albeit with varying English proficiency levels.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:33 am

Flew PEK-IST-MIA in Business Class with wife and child. On both sectors the crew couldn't be more disinterested and was downright rude.
Maybe there is a cultural issue here? If the OP is from Asia or has been living in Asia for a long time, he is used to a different kind of service. TK crew was never rude to me, but not as 'friendly' as Japanese or Thai crew, for example.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
No more appetizer cart?! That was the best part of the meal. ☹
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun
No more appetizer cart?! That was the best part of the meal. ☹
Appetizer cart has been 100% removed from ALL flights. What used to be the pre-meal amuse Bouch/canaps is now the single small appetizer. Fewer desserts now and no ice cream. Soup is now serviced in smaller bowl with the single tini appetizer. These cutbacks are significant. Without the former very impressive soft product TK has very little to offer.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:36 am

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised on my recent TK flights, ARN-IST-IAH and back. All flights had the new food concept which is a downgrade from before, but the service provided by the FAs were fantastic on all flights (and the food very good). A huge difference from my previous TK flights in C. I was so impressed that I actually cancelled a flight on EVA Air and rebooked to TK earlier today
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
Appetizer cart has been 100% removed from ALL flights. What used to be the pre-meal amuse Bouch/canaps is now the single small appetizer. Fewer desserts now and no ice cream. Soup is now serviced in smaller bowl with the single tini appetizer. These cutbacks are significant. Without the former very impressive soft product TK has very little to offer.
Not to be rude. But, this is what you heard or read, and not from any personal experience, right?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Mixed feelings of my recent award NAP-IST-DYU/return.

Cramped euro scammy business seat on the 2 outbounds (IST-DYU is almost 5h), no reserved J bus on all flights and even no gate priority boarding on 2/4 segments.

Now thinking that this exotic destination retails over 2.200€ in J basically means paying a premium for a free seat next to me.
Glad I had it on award.

On the other hand the crew on all flights couldnt have been more professional and caring.
To the extend of arguing with a J pax that let his kids scurring the aisle from Y disturbing the cabin for a good hour, or on the IST-NAP segment profusely apologising seat by seat that one of the rear toilet was down and they had to allow the front one to be used by Y pax.

Food is still good, but it's clearly getting repetitive.

When you get 2 times the same choice out merely 4 flights there's something wrong.
Lounge is still very good, but I can't see myself eating the same eggplant overcooked rigatoni or grilled meat after 4 years (and no, the "Thai" offer is insulting).

Operations at Ataturk are still a nightmare, no movements reductions can help at this point.
The 3xx gates are an insult to decency and a perfect 3rd world human hoarding experience.

Had a 8h stop on the way back, and no nap room in the lounge for me.
So reluctantly decided to use the free hotel offer by TK.
Reluctantly cause had to undergo the unpleasant immigration line, which for fast track means that you share the line with the crew members, and they have priority over normal pax. So when a wave of 20 crew arrived at the desk I was next in line but had to wait 3 of these waves before my turn.

The hotel for me was the Reinassance, in a separated van than other Y pax, assigned to other hotels.
Honestly a stop over can't get any better with a room looking the Bosphorus, followed by a breakfast, followed by a pool swim and then basking in the sun for a few hours before heading back to airport.

The story repeats. This airline is a pure concept of love/hate.
Avoid it in winter and things seem to work quite well after all.
I came to the conclusion to enjoy their inconsistencies.
Mistery adds up excitement and sense or discovery.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcfromdc
Not to be rude. But, this is what you heard or read, and not from any personal experience, right?
This is personal experience and from what the crew told me. You will not find a single person who has very recently traveled on TK long haul that hasn't experienced the "new" reduced service.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
OP, I don't mean to mince your words. But, how can your statements about how the service "used to be" be from personal experience if you yourself had only flown TK J for the first time during the " 'new' reduced service" ? I'm just sort of failing to see what reference point you could have that was informed in any direct way. It's not like TK offered you anything less than was advertised to you at the time you made your booking, right?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's sad you were expecting the service levels and quality of the past, but it's been like this for quite some time. Meals are still pretty top league, but they have lost the "luxury" edge.

Qatar was another of the lush caterers and they've had to cut back too.

Whatever you do, don't fly BA economy! All catering has disappeared on intra-europe services, except for a lottery of a very limited number of goodies available for sale.

Enjoy the Zeitgeist!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.