FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   First time flying TK business class and disappointed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1855519-first-time-flying-tk-business-class-disappointed.html)

IAN-UK Aug 6, 2017 2:54 am

Originally Posted by tcmb99 (Post 28653320)
..I think this is mostly because the airport is having a hard time dealing with so many flights, having only 2 runways which cant be used at the same time. The new airport should solve this problem. But we have to wait 2 more years for that.

It has a lot to do with efficient aircraft utilisation. TK, and the ME carriers, have the enormous scheduling advantage of a base airport (relatively) unconstrained by time of day restrictions on runway use.

craigthemif Aug 6, 2017 3:54 am

I am flying to JRO this september with TK and the flight leaves at 1:30 am and arrives at 10:30am if I am not mistaken. Not a terrible flight schedule. But I agree that flights leaving to and leaving from Africa have the worst take off or landing times in general. I think this is mostly because the airport is having a hard time dealing with so many flights, having only 2 runways which cant be used at the same time. The new airport should solve this problem. But we have to wait 2 more years for that.

It's more about aircraft utilisation and setting up connecting traffic from Europe and elsewhere. TK's business model isn't flying Turks directly to these places, it's flying people from everywhere to wherever they want to go with one stop.

And if you want service to somewhere relatively obscure such as JRO, you might need to accept that the plane is continuing onto ZNZ or DAR or wherever to help fill it up - and that makes scheduling even trickier.

Africa also has little to no time zone difference, so it's harder to schedule a flight leaving in the evening and arriving the next morning, since the flights simply aren't long enough.

joorinainen Aug 6, 2017 10:01 am

I switched over to QR a year ago. Haven't flown TK since. Only thing that i miss is the mattress which they provide in J and E+ mileage accrual compared to BAEC flying with QR. I will fly TK again when they have moved to a new airport.

susiesan Aug 6, 2017 12:37 pm

I am flying to JRO this september with TK and the flight leaves at 1:30 am and arrives at 10:30am if I am not mistaken. Not a terrible flight schedule. But I agree that flights leaving to and leaving from Africa have the worst take off or landing times in general. I think this is mostly because the airport is having a hard time dealing with so many flights, having only 2 runways which cant be used at the same time. The new airport should solve this problem. But we have to wait 2 more years for that.

You may want to recheck your schedule. Both the inbound and out bound TK flights to JRO are in the middle of the night this year in September. Terrible times for beginning and ending a vacation.