TK IST-MIA using United miles

Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
TK IST-MIA using United miles

I booked TK IST-MIA one way in Economy using United miles. I went on TK website and read that IST-North America flights in Y allows 2 pieces at 23Kg/luggage allowance.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us...gage-allowance
Free baggage allowance varies according to reservation class and departure runway.

In Turkish Airlines direct flights to airports in North America (New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, Montreal, Toronto) the free baggage allowance is 2 pieces.
However, when I called TK customer service, she said nowhere on my booking says I get free luggage allowance... so therefore I must pay $150 per luggage at the airport.

I have never flown Turkish before so this is news to me. I thought luggage allowance would be set for certain destinations, not based on how I booked my flight. (using miles) TK customer service rep referred me to contact UA while UA agent told me his computer stated for customer to check with the operating carrier.

Does anyone have experience flying TK in Y from IST to North America using United miles where you had to pay for luggage? Thank you for all the help ^
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of. I think that's a classic hang up and call again case. Luggage allowance for TK is based on the route.

When you call them, don't mention anything about your ticket, just ask them to pull up your PNR and tell you the luggage allowance for that route.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
I booked TK IST-MIA one way in Economy using United miles. I went on TK website and read that IST-North America flights in Y allows 2 pieces at 23Kg/luggage allowance.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us...gage-allowance

However, when I called TK customer service, she said nowhere on my booking says I get free luggage allowance... so therefore I must pay $150 per luggage at the airport.

I have never flown Turkish before so this is news to me. I thought luggage allowance would be set for certain destinations, not based on how I booked my flight. (using miles) TK customer service rep referred me to contact UA while UA agent told me his computer stated for customer to check with the operating carrier.

Does anyone have experience flying TK in Y from IST to North America using United miles where you had to pay for luggage? Thank you for all the help ^
I recently booked Swiss business class flights using United miles. My Swiss ticket also states zero check-in luggage for both passengers (intercontinental J!). The opinion on the Swiss forum on FT is that that is an issue on Swiss's site and when you show up, you get the same allowance as everybody else.

Don't know if it's similar on TK, but since it was also booked with United miles, I thought I'd share that.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Hello everyone, I'd like to update this post with my experience should you come across this issue in the future.

We arrived in TLV airport on a separate Turkish Airlines TLV-IST, paid for using Chase UR miles. I asked the agent if she can checked-thru our luggage to our IST-MIA flight. I showed her the confirmation for the second segment. She said no problem.

I also asked for exit row seats for both flights which was granted at no additional charge.

She asked to look at our carry-ons and said only one carry-on per person is allowed. I told her the backpack is a personal item and the rollaboard is our carry-on. She responded that "the flight is full" and offered to check our rollaboard at no additional charge.

Considering we had separate itinerary and that the allowance for TLV-IST is only one check-in luggage at 20kg while IST-MIA is two luggage at 23kg each, we're grateful of this offer.

The flight experience was good as we enjoyed the meals, seats were comfortable and the in-flight service was good. We had a young male FA as our attendant and he's only been with TK for two years.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:22 pm

In my opinion, this is a known issue at this point. I experienced this issue twice and seen reports about zero luggage allowance on United award ticket on TK metal.

1-) Couple years ago I booked Business class ticket using United miles, while checking in for Return AYT>IST>IAD they said luggage allowance shows zero. Supervisor got involved and the issue was fixed quickly.

2-)In June I had another United award ticket for Economy and again during check in, their system showed zero luggage allowance. This time it took even longer to solve the problem and check 2 bags. What is interesting is, if you call M&S they are able to see and verify luggage allowance (they said its total 70KG, I'm TK Elite) but ground staff cannot verify this on their system.

I could imagine this could be quite frustrating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.