Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
US and UK electronics ban:

As of 5 July 2017 personal electronics can again be brought into the cabin on flights to the US. The UK was lifted at the end of July.

Which items are affected?

The US rule is broad and wide-ranging, affecting almost anything that is not a phone.
"Electronic devices larger than a cell phone/smart phone will not be allowed to be carried onboard the aircraft in carry-on luggage or other accessible property." Anything larger will have to go in checked luggage in the hold.

The US DHS gave a list of examples, but said it was not exhaustive:
  • Laptops
  • Tablets
  • E-readers
  • Cameras
  • Portable DVD players
  • Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
  • Travel printers/scanners

The rules apply to all flights originating from Turkey to the US or UK, and apply to those who started their journey outside of Turkey and are connecting at IST.

The UK rules are set out here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk.
Print Wikipost

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I read in The Times yesterday that the ban on TK flights will be lifted by Wednesday of this week. Apparently checking the rigour of gate security is key to this and it looks like TK are to be passed on Monday or Tuesday.

I still think the whole thing is a load of nonsense inspired by our paranoid UK government.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:14 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The electronics ban on flights to the UK has now been lifted.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by starflyergold
The electronics ban on flights to the UK has now been lifted.
according to https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-uk-aviation-security only from SAW but not from IST or the smaller airports.

The DfT advice says:

"Restrictions remain in place at other airports and will be lifted on a case-by-case basis once the UK government has verified that airlines have put in place alternative security measures, and that it is safe and proportionate to do so.

The following airports continue to be affected by the restrictions:
  • Turkey:
    • Istanbul Atatürk
    • Izmir
    • Bodrum
    • Antalya
    • Dalaman

Hopefully IST will follow soon.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:44 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by CoweyB
according to https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security only from SAW but not from IST or the smaller airports.

The DfT advice says:

"Restrictions remain in place at other airports and will be lifted on a case-by-case basis once the UK government has verified that airlines have put in place alternative security measures, and that it is safe and proportionate to do so.

The following airports continue to be affected by the restrictions:
  • Turkey:
    • Istanbul Atatürk
    • Izmir
    • Bodrum
    • Antalya
    • Dalaman

Hopefully IST will follow soon.
Needless to say that info is wrong. All TK flights (it varies by airline) are ok.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Needless to say that info is wrong. All TK flights (it varies by airline) are ok.
Let's see if the Department for Transport update on Monday.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Mrs T checked in at TPE to fly to LHR today via IST and was forced to put electronics in hold baggage.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Truffles
Mrs T checked in at TPE to fly to LHR today via IST and was forced to put electronics in hold baggage.
I checked the advice on gov.uk from the Department of Transport again today and it still only shows SAW - although there are hints that other airports will follow.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security

I note it says: This page will be updated on an airport-by-airport basis, once restrictions have been lifted on all affected airlines serving the airport in question and is dated 28/7. Given poor Mrs T's experience on 30/7 it would seem to be still in force.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I am currently on TK 009 (IST-LAX) using my laptop to type this. All laptops were examined. Also was surprised to see the dreaded SSSS on my BP and husband's BP also. I wondered if everyone received a secondary screening, since it certainly looked like that at the gate.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TH310
I am currently on TK 009 (IST-LAX) using my laptop to type this. All laptops were examined. Also was surprised to see the dreaded SSSS on my BP and husband's BP also. I wondered if everyone received a secondary screening, since it certainly looked like that at the gate.
yes, everyone has been getting secondary screenings on US bound flights since the ban was lifted. All laptops and carryons examined, and passengers swabbed for explosive residue. Three stage process when you get to the gate. 1) Standard BP and passport check, 2) second computer-based check, 3) Sex segregated lines leading to baggage/laptop/swabs.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
yes, everyone has been getting secondary screenings on US bound flights since the ban was lifted. All laptops and carryons examined, and passengers swabbed for explosive residue. Three stage process when you get to the gate. 1) Standard BP and passport check, 2) second computer-based check, 3) Sex segregated lines leading to baggage/laptop/swabs.
Is it just laptop being swabbed at IST now ? What abt tablets and slr cameras ?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey

Is it just laptop being swabbed at IST now ? What abt tablets and slr cameras ?
I dont remember about tablets and SLR cameras, but waistbands too.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Thanks for confirming. That is exactly what I experienced.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:13 am

Does anyone know if powerbanks are now allowed at IST/TK flights?

Thx!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, as said in the title it has all been rescinded.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by amigoflyer
Does anyone know if powerbanks are now allowed at IST/TK flights?

Thx!
To/from where?

No problem IST-US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.