Sleeping rooms in the IST lounge

Old Jan 7, 17, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Sleeping rooms in the IST lounge

Connecting overnight - 23:50-08:00. I know there are sleeping facilities in the lounge, but I've never needed them before and have no idea how they work, how they are allocated.

Anyone able to educate me?

I'm travelling Y, but have an Elite card to flash.
Old Jan 7, 17, 2:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
The day rooms are only available for J pax or Elite + members for layovers between 4 to 7 hours. They're pretty strict on that.
Old Jan 8, 17, 6:08 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
On top of that it has to be an int-int connection and one of the flights have to be more than 8 hours.
Old Jan 8, 17, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boosh View Post
On top of that it has to be an int-int connection and one of the flights have to be more than 8 hours.

Well, that's that then! Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 8, 17, 11:16 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
In all my time playing around with flight routings I've only been able to find a one or two where the IST layover met the criteria for the private room. It's almost like they arrange their schedule around the day rooms :-)
SkyTeam777 and imartin2k like this.
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate View Post
In all my time playing around with flight routings I've only been able to find a one or two where the IST layover met the criteria for the private room. It's almost like they arrange their schedule around the day rooms :-)
Speaking from personal experience, I would much rather NOT have to rely on those rooms. They are quite noisy and therefore it is difficult to get some sleep. I didn't use earplugs as I was afraid I wouldn't hear my alarm and miss my flight.
Old Jan 8, 17, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll try blagging it with my unparalleled charm When that fails, i'll bunker down in the lounge proper. Is there any consensus on the best place to stretch out for a nap?

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jan 9, 17 at 2:42 am Reason: correcting the irritating autocorrects of my new computer
Old Jan 8, 17, 4:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I'll try blogging it with my unparalleled charm When that fails, i'll bunker down in the lounge proper. Is there any consensus on the best place to stretch out for a nap?
Near the piano downstairs there are a bunch of those white sofas facing each other. What I do sometimes is push 2 together (when the lounge isn't crowded, of course). It's quite comfortable for a decent nap.

Another option is the "theater." The reclined seats there are decent.
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EK788 View Post
Near the piano downstairs there are a bunch of those white sofas facing each other. What I do sometimes is push 2 together (when the lounge isn't crowded, of course). It's quite comfortable for a decent nap.

Another option is the "theater." The reclined seats there are decent.

Love the idea of shooing people off the sofas to make up my bed

The theatre sounds perfect: a nice premium-style seat before I slot myself into an economy one for the onward trip
Old Jan 10, 17, 2:34 am

Love the idea of shooing people off the sofas to make up my bed

The theatre sounds perfect: a nice premium-style seat before I slot myself into an economy one for the onward trip
A few weeks ago I saw guy, with his shoes and socks of, sleeping on the sofa at the top of the stairs. I thought that was a bit much.

Maybe not worth it for your connection, but I have often used the Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are great, its 10 min from the airport, there is a shuttle and the rooms are cheap. AND you get points, not many, but some.
Old Jan 10, 17, 4:03 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
I have slept in the IST lounge twice now...eugh.

First time I slept inside the theatre room, it wasn't so great for me, there were several other sleeps but there was just too much noise.

Second time I slept down stairs and pushed some of the sofa's together, this worked best and I managed to get a couple of hours kip. The important bit for me here is I have to be horizontal to sleep.

Last edited by Lewis42; Jan 10, 17 at 4:07 am Reason: removed comment about Visa as it is only $20
Old Jan 10, 17, 5:49 am

Programs: MUCCI
I just spent the last 24 hours in the TAV Airside hotel, while the lounge filled up with people sleeping on the floor. It is excellent, though it lacks the frills of the Doha airside hotel which has a swimming pool suspended high above the main duty free concourse, squash courts, sauna and steam....

The airside hotel has I think 46 rooms, while the landside version has double that number at half the cost. Another good spot, we found over the last few days of chaos, is the TK business class arrivals lounge: we were the only pax there, and there are a couple of very nice day beds, showers, and an excellent breakfast. But it is only open until 1pm...
Old Jan 10, 17, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtdd View Post
I just spent the last 24 hours in the TAV Airside hotel, while the lounge filled up with people sleeping on the floor. It is excellent, though it lacks the frills of the Doha airside hotel which has a swimming pool suspended high above the main duty free concourse, squash courts, sauna and steam....

The airside hotel has I think 46 rooms, while the landside version has double that number at half the cost. Another good spot, we found over the last few days of chaos, is the TK business class arrivals lounge: we were the only pax there, and there are a couple of very nice day beds, showers, and an excellent breakfast. But it is only open until 1pm...

more importantly (for me!) what time does it open?

OK, I can answer my own question - 5 am
Old Jan 10, 17, 8:12 am

more importantly (for me!) what time does it open?

OK, I can answer my own question - 5 am
And unfortunately, again it is only J or E+ pax who can use the arrivals lounge.
Old Jan 10, 17, 8:40 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
out of curiosity, do TK offer any discount for the E-visa for Elite+ members travelling in J? I don't see anything anywhere but it's worth a shot if I can save $20!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: