Sleeping rooms in the IST lounge

Old Jan 7, 17, 1:03 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,579
Sleeping rooms in the IST lounge

Connecting overnight - 23:50-08:00. I know there are sleeping facilities in the lounge, but I've never needed them before and have no idea how they work, how they are allocated.

Anyone able to educate me?

I'm travelling Y, but have an Elite card to flash.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 7, 17, 2:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Accra
Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 204
The day rooms are only available for J pax or Elite + members for layovers between 4 to 7 hours. They're pretty strict on that.
EK788 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 6:08 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: IST, LHR
Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Posts: 480
On top of that it has to be an int-int connection and one of the flights have to be more than 8 hours.
boosh is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 10:29 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,579
Originally Posted by boosh View Post
On top of that it has to be an int-int connection and one of the flights have to be more than 8 hours.

Well, that's that then! Thanks for the information.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 11:16 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 1,071
In all my time playing around with flight routings I've only been able to find a one or two where the IST layover met the criteria for the private room. It's almost like they arrange their schedule around the day rooms :-)
SkyTeam777 and imartin2k like this.
gr8pirate is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:04 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: IST, LHR
Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Posts: 480
Originally Posted by gr8pirate View Post
In all my time playing around with flight routings I've only been able to find a one or two where the IST layover met the criteria for the private room. It's almost like they arrange their schedule around the day rooms :-)
Speaking from personal experience, I would much rather NOT have to rely on those rooms. They are quite noisy and therefore it is difficult to get some sleep. I didn't use earplugs as I was afraid I wouldn't hear my alarm and miss my flight.
boosh is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 4:31 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,579
I'll try blagging it with my unparalleled charm When that fails, i'll bunker down in the lounge proper. Is there any consensus on the best place to stretch out for a nap?

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jan 9, 17 at 2:42 am Reason: correcting the irritating autocorrects of my new computer
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 4:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Accra
Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I'll try blogging it with my unparalleled charm When that fails, i'll bunker down in the lounge proper. Is there any consensus on the best place to stretch out for a nap?
Near the piano downstairs there are a bunch of those white sofas facing each other. What I do sometimes is push 2 together (when the lounge isn't crowded, of course). It's quite comfortable for a decent nap.

Another option is the "theater." The reclined seats there are decent.
EK788 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:41 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,579
Originally Posted by EK788 View Post
Near the piano downstairs there are a bunch of those white sofas facing each other. What I do sometimes is push 2 together (when the lounge isn't crowded, of course). It's quite comfortable for a decent nap.

Another option is the "theater." The reclined seats there are decent.

Love the idea of shooing people off the sofas to make up my bed

The theatre sounds perfect: a nice premium-style seat before I slot myself into an economy one for the onward trip
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 2:34 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: IST, LHR
Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Posts: 480
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Love the idea of shooing people off the sofas to make up my bed

The theatre sounds perfect: a nice premium-style seat before I slot myself into an economy one for the onward trip
A few weeks ago I saw guy, with his shoes and socks of, sleeping on the sofa at the top of the stairs. I thought that was a bit much.

Maybe not worth it for your connection, but I have often used the Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are great, its 10 min from the airport, there is a shuttle and the rooms are cheap. AND you get points, not many, but some.
boosh is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 4:03 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midlands, UK
Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Posts: 970
I have slept in the IST lounge twice now...eugh.

First time I slept inside the theatre room, it wasn't so great for me, there were several other sleeps but there was just too much noise.

Second time I slept down stairs and pushed some of the sofa's together, this worked best and I managed to get a couple of hours kip. The important bit for me here is I have to be horizontal to sleep.

Last edited by Lewis42; Jan 10, 17 at 4:07 am Reason: removed comment about Visa as it is only $20
Lewis42 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 5:49 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: MUCCI
Posts: 242
I just spent the last 24 hours in the TAV Airside hotel, while the lounge filled up with people sleeping on the floor. It is excellent, though it lacks the frills of the Doha airside hotel which has a swimming pool suspended high above the main duty free concourse, squash courts, sauna and steam....

The airside hotel has I think 46 rooms, while the landside version has double that number at half the cost. Another good spot, we found over the last few days of chaos, is the TK business class arrivals lounge: we were the only pax there, and there are a couple of very nice day beds, showers, and an excellent breakfast. But it is only open until 1pm...
mtdd is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 7:37 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,579
Originally Posted by mtdd View Post
I just spent the last 24 hours in the TAV Airside hotel, while the lounge filled up with people sleeping on the floor. It is excellent, though it lacks the frills of the Doha airside hotel which has a swimming pool suspended high above the main duty free concourse, squash courts, sauna and steam....

The airside hotel has I think 46 rooms, while the landside version has double that number at half the cost. Another good spot, we found over the last few days of chaos, is the TK business class arrivals lounge: we were the only pax there, and there are a couple of very nice day beds, showers, and an excellent breakfast. But it is only open until 1pm...

more importantly (for me!) what time does it open?

OK, I can answer my own question - 5 am
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 8:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: IST, LHR
Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Posts: 480
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
more importantly (for me!) what time does it open?

OK, I can answer my own question - 5 am
And unfortunately, again it is only J or E+ pax who can use the arrivals lounge.
boosh is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 8:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midlands, UK
Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Posts: 970
out of curiosity, do TK offer any discount for the E-visa for Elite+ members travelling in J? I don't see anything anywhere but it's worth a shot if I can save $20!
Lewis42 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: