Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Update January 2020:

According to statusmatcher.com TK will only issue the the status match challenge to those holders of the following status:

Oneworld Emerald
Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
Skyteam Elite Plus
Emirates Gold/Platinum
Etihad Gold
Oman Air Gold

Other Gold Card holders including *G are out of luck.

Please report your experience in this thread and note the useful information in the Wiki below.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (note list of matchable status above)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by nixande

3) you then / additionally need 15K on TK only in that timeframe of the year to extend it for +12 months for a second year.
This is where i have questions. Does it need to be the one flight and once that is in the system, then your 15K start, or can 2+3 be done parallel? Is there a time delay for TK to recognize between the one international flight and the 15k?

4) Once you have the first full year, nothing you do in that year counts for renewal. But once your second year starts, you need 37,5k in those 12 months to then extend additional two years.
5) After year two, once you start your 3rd year, you are back to the normal system - lower number of miles in the first year, higher in the second.

Benefit I can see: If I can manage this match, and I have one big flight planned (like I do for going EU to Asia in biz), I can get status right away and I will earn right away 160% instead of 125%. Which will already be benefitial. For the rest of that time I can use my Gold status, but credit elsewhere if I want to. Regaining Gold thne only takes 37.5K in year two - which in comparison to normal turkish is a lot, but compared to other airlines fine, especially with the elite bonus.

Anything I missed?
Question:
Assume my membership year starts on Jan 1st. I get a status match on August 1st. I assume from reading that my timeframe then is August plus 4 months.
Once I do the international flight, it gets extended to a year, meaning August to August - and my 'membership' year then is reset to this time frame?
When does my second year in the sense of the renewal starts? Jan or August?

And the biggest question - what is the relation between the one international flight, can this be the same as the 15K requirement.
I assume if you do 15K right away.. that will give you the 12 months. if thats your question .?

I did it "traditional"... I took one TXL IST SOF ... in the first 4 months.. that gave me status for 12 months.. then like you.. I did one deal to BKK... 4 legs.. inkluding! the first flight to sofia I was a little over 15K.. (TK had a double miles deal for the BKK flight when I took it.)..

So it was a damn cheap deal... I just realized as stated above.. FOR ME.. the status itself is pretty useles.. :-)

and still I think Its kinda stupid to lure people over by a great match.. and then after 2 years you need more to requalify like anyone else?... sounds like a mistake.. I get it.. you get the Elite Bonus for the Miles you collect.. so its easier than from scratch.. but still way too much for me

I cannot anwer your membership year question as I applied newly.. and for me the year started with the match
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nixande
The timelines always where a problem. To my understanding the main benefit of the match is the frontloading of the status, then one time harder earning. So if you intend on staying with TK, this is what I gathered - happy to hear if I went wrong anywhere.

1) You sign up for the match and get it granted - you get the Gold status right away for a duration of 4 months. It is a once in a lifetime match.
2) you then need to take one international flight on TK only to guarantee it for up to a year (=+8 months)
3) you then / additionally need 15K on TK only in that timeframe of the year to extend it for +12 months for a second year.
This is where i have questions. Does it need to be the one flight and once that is in the system, then your 15K start, or can 2+3 be done parallel? Is there a time delay for TK to recognize between the one international flight and the 15k?
4) Once you have the first full year, nothing you do in that year counts for renewal. But once your second year starts, you need 37,5k in those 12 months to then extend additional two years.
5) After year two, once you start your 3rd year, you are back to the normal system - lower number of miles in the first year, higher in the second.

Benefit I can see: If I can manage this match, and I have one big flight planned (like I do for going EU to Asia in biz), I can get status right away and I will earn right away 160% instead of 125%. Which will already be benefitial. For the rest of that time I can use my Gold status, but credit elsewhere if I want to. Regaining Gold thne only takes 37.5K in year two - which in comparison to normal turkish is a lot, but compared to other airlines fine, especially with the elite bonus.

Anything I missed?
Question:
Assume my membership year starts on Jan 1st. I get a status match on August 1st. I assume from reading that my timeframe then is August plus 4 months.
Once I do the international flight, it gets extended to a year, meaning August to August - and my 'membership' year then is reset to this time frame?
When does my second year in the sense of the renewal starts? Jan or August?

And the biggest question - what is the relation between the one international flight, can this be the same as the 15K requirement.
I think you summed it up correctly!
It is also my understanding that the first international flight you have to take within the 4 months counts towards the required 15k in the first year. This is my understanding from the wording in the welcome email that was shared here:

Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
Regarding your membership year question: Yes, if you already have a M&S account that is then upgraded via a status match, the membership year should be adjusted, i.e. your second year will be August-August too.
nixande likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Everything starts from the date that your status match application is processed and approved. Not the date you apply, nor whenever you meet the various levels of criteria.

So if your status match is approved on 5th August, your membership cycles will always start on that date. The only way it changes is if you manage to upgrade to Elite Plus, in which case your membership date resets based on the date you qualify for E+.

However it is sensible to have a healthy fear of TK IT, as often none of the above works correctly...
nixande and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Hi

one question

what if my request is not approved , probably because of low activity (or not so interesting for TK) in my FFP during the last 3 months . Can i apply next year or iam banned for ever ?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Hi

one question

what if my request is not approved , probably because of low activity (or not so interesting for TK) in my FFP during the last 3 months . Can i apply next year or iam banned for ever ?
You should be able to apply multiple times, but you will only be *granted* a status match once in a (account) lifetime.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Originally Posted by B0gdan
Thank you! That's the problem though. I think I need first and last name on my ticket to match what's on my Miles&Smiles account so that the flight gets properly credited and I get my status extended to another 8 months. So in this case, it's less about boarding the flight, more about getting it properly credited.
In case anyone will have the same issue in the future, following up on this. TK called me and offered to issue a new ticket with the proper name by charging me the same amount and refunding the old ticket. They mentioned it's an exception and they don't normally do that so I have my peace of mind now.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
Does anyone know if TK flights between Turkey and Ercan (Northern Cyprus) are considered international flights for the purpose of this status match?

What about codeshares? I'm assuming that a AnadoluJet-operated flight ticketed as a TK flight would not count?

Last edited by XmaX; Jul 4, 2019 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by XmaX
Does anyone know if TK flights between Turkey and Ercan (Northern Cyprus) are considered international flights for the purpose of this status match?

What about codeshares? I'm assuming that a AnadoluJet-operated flight ticketed as a TK flight would not count?

Cyprus should count, Anadolu Jet shouldn't. I may be wrong though.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
I sent my FInnair Gold card, and got such an answer: which is confusing, as it explicitly says that they match Finnair Gold!!! I get it that it is not not Oneworld Emerald, but they specifically say they match Finnair GOLD???

"Miles&Smiles members who also have membership with the Skyteam (Elite Plus), One World (Emerald), Emirates (Gold - Platinum), Etihad (Gold - Platinum), El Al Israil Airlines (Platinum - Top Platinum), Finnair (Plus Gold), Oman Air (Sinbad Gold) are eligible to status match for Elite membership.

Therefore, since your membership status is Gold, we unfortunately cannot satisfy your demand under the Miles&Smiles program rules."
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Richey66
I sent my FInnair Gold card, and got such an answer: which is confusing, as it explicitly says that they match Finnair Gold!!! I get it that it is not not Oneworld Emerald, but they specifically say they match Finnair GOLD???

"Miles&Smiles members who also have membership with the Skyteam (Elite Plus), One World (Emerald), Emirates (Gold - Platinum), Etihad (Gold - Platinum), El Al Israil Airlines (Platinum - Top Platinum), Finnair (Plus Gold), Oman Air (Sinbad Gold) are eligible to status match for Elite membership.

Therefore, since your membership status is Gold, we unfortunately cannot satisfy your demand under the Miles&Smiles program rules."
They wrote they require Plus Gold for Finnair. I’m not familiar with Finnair status levels but if Gold is lower than Plus Gold than that means your Finnair status is not high enough for a status match.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AY Platinum; TK Elite+; MR Titanium; HH Diamond
There is no such thing as Plus Gold. The Finnair FFP is called Finnair Plus and the statuses that are higher than Gold (OWS) are Platinum (OWE) and Platinum Lumo (OWE).
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
They are probably confused over AY and BA's definition of Gold.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Got a news answer, boy are those idiots wasting my time.
"In order to evaluate your request, we would like you to apply to the nearest Turkish Airlines Office with the necessary documents (ID/Passport, valid and original Gold membership card and membership statement). Thank you for choosing us on your travels."

why to offer status match at all if they require physical presence?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Richey66
why to offer status match at all if they require physical presence?
It's Turkish Airlines being Turkish Airlines.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:15 am

Clarification needed for status match with M&S

Amigos,

For those who received a similar email after status match, could you please shed some light on whether the 15,000 Status Miles have to be operated by Turkish Airlines? Or would any in Star Alliance be okay?

Excerpt from email: Elite Status Match was done as per your request in your feedback, and your membership account number TKxxxx has been shifted to the Elite status. The Elite card trial period is 4 months. Subsequent to the inclusion of an international flight you will perform with Turkish Airlines within the first 4 months following the beginning of your Elite membership in your account, your trial period will be extended for 8 months and regarded valid for one year in total. If you earn 15,000 status miles in Turkish Airlines international line flights in the first year of your Elite membership, your membership will be extended for one year, and it will be valid for two years in total.

Thanks.
T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.