Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Update January 2020:

According to statusmatcher.com TK will only issue the the status match challenge to those holders of the following status:

Oneworld Emerald
Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
Skyteam Elite Plus
Emirates Gold/Platinum
Etihad Gold
Oman Air Gold

Other Gold Card holders including *G are out of luck.

Please report your experience in this thread and note the useful information in the Wiki below.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (note list of matchable status above)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2017 onwards)

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by zxd
Yup, and that's exactly what happened. They matched me on January 12th and my flight was on January 11th. What a disaster - I guess I won't be status matching because I won't have another flight within 4 months; that was fun TK.
When did you email Turkish for the match? I emailed January 3rd and nothing yet. Flying this Friday.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:31 am
zxd

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by robdls
When did you email Turkish for the match? I emailed January 3rd and nothing yet. Flying this Friday.
I e-mailed on Tuesday and got the reply on Friday. But it's too late, I flew on Thursday, I won't keep the status match and don't care for TK anymore - customer service is bad.

And anyways, the requirement to do 37,500 miles all together in the 2nd year makes the status match pointless - you can qualify regularly like that
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by zxd
I e-mailed on Tuesday and got the reply on Friday. But it's too late, I flew on Thursday, I won't keep the status match and don't care for TK anymore - customer service is bad.

And anyways, the requirement to do 37,500 miles all together in the 2nd year makes the status match pointless - you can qualify regularly like that
They did the same thing to me. I flew my first flight and they gave it to me the day after. At least I have my return legs. 3.5 weeks to respond to my request.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
I got status matched today (less than 12 hours from application!) and I have a question about the requirement for 1 international flight. Does it need to be both TK metal and marketed, or is metal enough? I have TK flights next week but I just noticed that my TA booked the flights from SK stock...
leodrio likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:30 pm

Card arrived :-)

Woohoo, was confirmed status upgrade on 12th of January and my card arrived down under today.

I didnt even know they would be sending a card?
Nice little package

CoweyB likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
TK has made this rather difficult to comprehend.
1. Feb 2017 - needed International flight - did it and extended to June 2017
2. Needed and fulfilled - June 26, 2017OtherCard Renewal(Card Upgrade (Must earn 15.000 status miles in first 12 months)3. Flew 16k in November on TK
4. My status still shows Gold will expire this month Feb 2017.
I thought if I flew over 15k as I did my status would be good until Feb 2019? Am I wrong on this?
5. If this is honored, to qualifly beyond Feb 2019, I need to fly 25k or 37.5k in 2018?
Thank you.

Originally Posted by zxd

Last edited by altitude75k; Feb 4, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by altitude75k
TK has made this rather difficult to comprehend.
1. Feb 2017 - needed International flight - did it and extended to June 2017
2. Needed and fulfilled - June 26, 2017OtherCard Renewal(Card Upgrade (Must earn 15.000 status miles in first 12 months)3. Flew 16k in November on TK
4. My status still shows Gold will expire this month Feb 2017.
I thought if I flew over 15k as I did my status would be good until Feb 2019? Am I wrong on this?
5. If this is honored, to qualifly beyond Feb 2019, I need to fly 25k or 37.5k in 2018?
Thank you.
You will need to fly 37,5k in one year, you might want to consider joining Asiana Club which requires 40k in two years to qualify for Star Alliance Gold (qualify that is, not requalify!)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:20 am

Thanks @Granite64. so that 15k should cover to the end of 2018 from what I understand and in 2018 I would need another 37.5k to keep status for 2019.
From reading this thread I think I should wait and see if my status does actually get extended for the rest of 2018 past Feb 28. Decide at that time. I see your point about Asiana for 2 years and 40k. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Granite64
You will need to fly 37,5k in one year, you might want to consider joining Asiana Club which requires 40k in two years to qualify for Star Alliance Gold (qualify that is, not requalify!)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by altitude75k
Thanks @Granite64. so that 15k should cover to the end of 2018 from what I understand and in 2018 I would need another 37.5k to keep status for 2019.
From reading this thread I think I should wait and see if my status does actually get extended for the rest of 2018 past Feb 28. Decide at that time. I see your point about Asiana for 2 years and 40k. Thanks!
You are welcome!

I'm personally thinking about switching to Asian, especially when I read this:

'Asiana offers the very best rates on first class travel with their airline partners. Lufthansa First Class requires just 50,000 points one way between the US and Europe, or Europe and Mexico, Central America. First Class with Etihad between Europe and the Middle East requires just 40,000 points one way. Yes the First Class Apartment for 40,000 points.'

Source: Why Asiana Club Is The Most Lucrative Star Alliance Loyalty Program... - God Save The Points
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Granite64
Not according to my correspondences with TK, but they are so inconsistent that nothing surprises me any more.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:06 am

What did they tell you?

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Not according to my correspondences with TK, but they are so inconsistent that nothing surprises me any more.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
That I need to collect 37.5K status miles in the two years combined.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
That I need to collect 37.5K status miles in the two years combined.
You have a screenshot of that or something?

Edit: I will ask them on Twitter, I did the first 15k on TK but I didn't fly 25k in the first year so my statement said: 'Card criteria has not been fullfilled in the first year.'
So my guess is that I need 37500 in two years, but my card is only valid until 9/2018..

Last edited by Granite64; Feb 5, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:25 pm

Status Match Request Rejected

I am a lifetime Gold on United Airlines but rarely fly them anymore, preferring TK on international long haul flights, usually in Business Class. I recently requested a status match on TK and sent in my United Gold Card as well as statements from 2017 showing substantial, 80K miles of travel. After a week, I received a rejection with no explanation. I am disappointed and think that TK lost the chance to inherit a frequent flyer with almost 1.8 million lifetime miles on United alone. Any idea why this happened? Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by manhattan92
I am a lifetime Gold on United Airlines but rarely fly them anymore, preferring TK on international long haul flights, usually in Business Class. I recently requested a status match on TK and sent in my United Gold Card as well as statements from 2017 showing substantial, 80K miles of travel. After a week, I received a rejection with no explanation. I am disappointed and think that TK lost the chance to inherit a frequent flyer with almost 1.8 million lifetime miles on United alone. Any idea why this happened? Thank you.
If you fly international long haul in J, getting 40K miles in a single year is not too much. About 2.5-3 RT.

From the wiki at the top of this post:
TK will only match Star Alliance Gold (they are clamping down on matching other *G), Skyteam Elite Plus, Oneworld Emerald members, Emirates and Etihad Gold/Platinum and El Al Platinum/Top Platinum. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.