Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Update January 2020:

According to statusmatcher.com TK will only issue the the status match challenge to those holders of the following status:

Oneworld Emerald
Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
Skyteam Elite Plus
Emirates Gold/Platinum
Etihad Gold
Oman Air Gold

Other Gold Card holders including *G are out of luck.

Please report your experience in this thread and note the useful information in the Wiki below.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (note list of matchable status above)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2017 onwards)

Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Hafnia
I wondered about that as well. Seems like the general approach is never to miss an opportunity to obtain personal information from travellers. Same in IST airport where the ‘easiest’ way to get a Wi-Fi login is to swipe your passport and you have to hand it over just to buy a chocolate bar…
For the status match, they would like to avoid fraud. TK is not an airline working on the honor system and they would need to verify if it's the applicant who is applying.

For the airport part, by Turkish law, to use a public Wi-Fi, you would need to have something personal associated when logging in ( passport number, Turkish ID number, phone number, etc... ) so that in case something is done via that login which is not legal, they could find the suspect. This is for security reasons as far as the government says.

For the chocolate part, it's again a law that on any tax-free purchases, they need to swipe your passport or ID + boarding pass if you don't need a passport to travel to/from Turkey to verify if that purchase is tax free. The operators could decide to charge tax and not ask for a method of identification but they would go every mile to make more revenue.
Hafnia and mlqsko like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
How long does it typically take TK to approve the match?

I submitted my request today (attempting to match Delta Diamond status that expires in 2024) & my first TK flight is on the 9th of October.

Is 20 days enough time or am I out of luck?
Got an email today confirming my match to Elite status. Took 3 days since my request.
HHG likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I have BA Gold status (OneWorld Emerald) and AA Platinum status (OneWorld Sapphire).

Is it only possible to use the BA status to match to TK?

I ask because it’s likely that I won’t fly that many *A segments but would like lounge access and other benefits. Likely to buy some cheap transatlantic fares on TAP these next few months and wondering whether to get a status match on TK or on UA. I don’t see myself spending $2k or $3k and getting enough UA PQF or PQD after or during the initial period so TK matching seems more attractive.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by salut0
I have BA Gold status (OneWorld Emerald) and AA Platinum status (OneWorld Sapphire).

Is it only possible to use the BA status to match to TK?

I ask because it’s likely that I won’t fly that many *A segments but would like lounge access and other benefits. Likely to buy some cheap transatlantic fares on TAP these next few months and wondering whether to get a status match on TK or on UA. I don’t see myself spending $2k or $3k and getting enough UA PQF or PQD after or during the initial period so TK matching seems more attractive.

Any thoughts?
TAP doesn't pay for lounge access for *G members at many outstations on cheap fares. So do your research...
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:05 pm

Regarding to the 4 segments

Hi,

does anyone know whether the student ticket count for the 4 segments? And will the expire date be changed automatically at the last day of 4 months?

thanks
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by qianfeng0922
Hi,

does anyone know whether the student ticket count for the 4 segments? And will the expire date be changed automatically at the last day of 4 months?

thanks
Not sure about the student ticket situation, but your status would be extended another 8 months ( 12 months from when you were approved ) after the first international flight has been credited to your M&S account.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Not sure about the student ticket situation, but your status would be extended another 8 months ( 12 months from when you were approved ) after the first international flight has been credited to your M&S account.
Thanks for the reply. someone told me that the expire date will be updated after the last day of the 4 month. Now I am not sure whether I should fly once again without student discount…
Old Dec 5, 2022, 2:01 am

Has anyone matched to QR PC (Gold)?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: QR Plat, TK *Gold, SV Silver, HH Diamond
I would like to confirm some details of the status match having now flown segments with TK.

I applied for a status match (from QR Platinum) in December and was accepted, with Elite status expiring April 2023. I have just now completed 4 segments on a long-haul trip in Business via Istanbul, earning a total of over 22,000 miles. I understand from earlier messages that the extension from the 4 month initial status only happens as the 4 months expire. Is this the same for the extension to the full 2 years? When will I be able to see the final expiry date of my matched status? Will all 4 segments count towards the 15k miles even though they happened in the first 4 months? Any pointers would be really useful.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriot Bonvoy
In my status match e-mail, they said:
  • The first 4 months of your Elite membership is considered as the trial period. Within this period, you are required to realize at least one Turkish Airlines international flight in which you gain miles.
  • At the end of the trial period, if your membership account includes at least one Turkish Airlines international flight in which you gained miles, your Elite membership is prolonged for 8 months more.(i.e. it remains valid for 1 year in total after the match).
  • If you reach 15,000 Status Miles in the international flights you will perform with Turkish Airlines in the first year of your Elite membership, your membership is extended for 1 more year (i.e. it remains valid for 2 years in total after the match).
So, I think you need to wait until the end of the 4 months for the extension to show.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: QR Plat, TK *Gold, SV Silver, HH Diamond
Thanks, I guess their description is somewhat ambiguous in the sense that it's not clear if the first flight that extends from 4 months to a year also counts towards the 15k year to two-year extension requirement. I wasn't sure if someone who went through this might know. I guess I can just wait and see.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Saracenn
I would like to confirm some details of the status match having now flown segments with TK.

I applied for a status match (from QR Platinum) in December and was accepted, with Elite status expiring April 2023. I have just now completed 4 segments on a long-haul trip in Business via Istanbul, earning a total of over 22,000 miles. I understand from earlier messages that the extension from the 4 month initial status only happens as the 4 months expire. Is this the same for the extension to the full 2 years? When will I be able to see the final expiry date of my matched status? Will all 4 segments count towards the 15k miles even though they happened in the first 4 months? Any pointers would be really useful.
From my similar experience in 2019 your first trip during the 4 months, even with a total of 22000 status miles will grant only the first 8 months extension, you need to gain another 15000 miles after the 4 months deadline to add the 2nd year extension. That's why when traveling only business and able to do at least two long haul flights per year the status match is almost useless, unless you think to travel also frequently in economy. As mentioned your new extension date will appear only after the end of the 4 months period.

my status was matched in 2019 was then downgraded to classic due to Covid, I had two J trips in 2022 CGK to Europe and gained back Elite status until Nov 2024. Unfortunately TK rates out of CGK are skyrocketing up to 20-30% higher than competition both in J and Y, to a point that no Elite status can justifying to me such difference, I will probably not fly TK in 2023.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by BobFF68
From my similar experience in 2019 your first trip during the 4 months, even with a total of 22000 status miles will grant only the first 8 months extension, you need to gain another 15000 miles after the 4 months deadline to add the 2nd year extension. That's why when traveling only business and able to do at least two long haul flights per year the status match is almost useless, unless you think to travel also frequently in economy. As mentioned your new extension date will appear only after the end of the 4 months period.

my status was matched in 2019 was then downgraded to classic due to Covid, I had two J trips in 2022 CGK to Europe and gained back Elite status until Nov 2024. Unfortunately TK rates out of CGK are skyrocketing up to 20-30% higher than competition both in J and Y, to a point that no Elite status can justifying to me such difference, I will probably not fly TK in 2023.
Are you sure about that?

I will be earning 35k miles during my 4 month period, 30k on TK (4 segments) and 5k on *A. If I understand you correctly, that is not enough to get the additional one year extension? I have to do another 15k on TK or *A after the 4 month or would it be enough to earn only 5k on other *A carries since that would push me over the 40k?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
Are you sure about that?

I will be earning 35k miles during my 4 month period, 30k on TK (4 segments) and 5k on *A. If I understand you correctly, that is not enough to get the additional one year extension? I have to do another 15k on TK or *A after the 4 month or would it be enough to earn only 5k on other *A carries since that would push me over the 40k?
What I can confirm is that one trip (4 segments on TK metal) during the 4 months trial period even more than 15 K (my was around 21K status miles) extended my status for one year only, not 2. Whether your case will be different as it is involving more than one trip I do not have any clue, as you see above the rules mailed are not clear in this respect. Try sending a request via feedback form and hoping that the agent who responds have the full knowledge of the system, as with TK this is not guaranteed.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
the 15.000 miles within the first year to extend the matched status by another year - do the flights to earn the miles be TK flights or TK international flights? my nephew needs 3640 miles to reach the 15.000 miles - a roundtrip business class flight from MUC to IST would earn 3200 miles - we thought to add domestic legs like MUC-IST-AYT (not much more expensive) - but they would earn 2400 extra miles - but they are not international flights.

FRA-IST-FRA would be 3660 miles - but we would prefer to fly from MUC or NUE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.