TK status match (2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:44 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: CoweyB
Wiki Link
Update January 2017: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running reasonably smoothly.

TK will only match Star Alliance Gold (they are clamping down on matching other *G), Skyteam Elite Plus, Oneworld Emerald members, Emirates and Etihad Gold/Platinum and El Al Platinum/Top Platinum. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

Please note that the only way to contact TK is now via the website

2/6/2015 new info from TK
We have received your message that you sent to our unit on 20 January 2015. Please be informed that when you claim your first flight with Turkish Airlines or other Star Alliance members to your Miles&Smiles account, your card will be sent to your address automatically.

On the otherhand, we would like to remind you that you can also get your original Miles&Smiles Card from Card Press Desk at Ataturk Airport International Terminal between 07.30 A.M and 09.45 PM. The location of Card Press desk is between A and B Check-in counters.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

21/9/2015 - Neil791
For those reporting successful matches, can you please post your results as follows so others can estimate their wait times, success rates

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (i.e. AB TopBonus, AA Plat, etc)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: FB Silver, ANA, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ahopkins767 View Post
My memory is that TK were quick in responding, and as long as you fulfil their whims they will grant your wish.
They do respond quickly indeed: I received a text message after submitting the documents: "Dear Passenger, your feedback with following number TK-XXXXXX has been resolved, thank you. B001"

I'll wait and see how this develops.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by KL803 View Post
They do respond quickly indeed: I received a text message after submitting the documents: "Dear Passenger, your feedback with following number TK-XXXXXX has been resolved, thank you. B001"

I'll wait and see how this develops.
I successfully received a status match to Elite. No word of a trial period, just the standard e-mail:

Dear Mr. X,

Since you have reached a total of 40000 Status Miles within the past 12 months, your card level has been upgraded to Elite Card.

If you reach a total of 45000 Status Miles during your membership period for 2 years, your Elite card will be extended for 2 more years.

if you reach 80000 Status Miles by 23/1/2020 your membership card will be upgraded to Elite Plus Card.
A fast and painless process. Looking forward to *A-Gold experience next month.
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:30 am

A more detailed email reached my inbox today. Short summary:
  • 4 month trial period with at least one TK operated international flight
  • extension of the trial period for another 8 months after having flown one TK operated flight (I will achieve this)
  • extension of Elite status of 1 more year if completing 15K status miles with TK international flights (I most probably can't achieve this)
Old Sep 25, 19, 7:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue
[QUOTE=Romanianflyer;31549362]In my case this extended automatically/went fine after four months in my status match.

I'm hoping you can help share your experience.

Do you happen to know whether the 8m extension was automatically applied upon you taking the first TK flight or at the end of the 4 initial months?

My situation is that I was granted a status challenge on the 3rd June, expiry 3rd October. On the 12th June I took TK flights from BHX-IST-MNL (albeit on a return portion of a ticket, the outbound being used before the status match, and the return portion being a re-issued ticket due to a schedule change). This qualifies me for an extension for 1 year, but the expiry date for the card still shows as the 3rd October. I have clarified this twice with TK CS, one answer was "you have met the criteria, and your membership will be extended", but the expiry still shows 3rd Oct, and the more recent was "your membership is due to expire on the 3rd Oct". I am due to fly on TK on the 6th Oct, so if the status was to drop on the 4th Oct there would be a chance it would not be reinstated before my travel...and sods law kinda dictates that. I am counting on the additional baggage and paying for excess baggage on BHX-IST-MNL is rather expensive.

So, do people tend to get the 8m extension upon taking their first TK flight or after the 4m has elapsed, provided they took a TK flight. Incidentally, I will go SIN-IST-BHX on the 2nd/3rd Oct as well.

I'm looking forward to your experience.

Thanks

UPDATE

I did manage to talk to someone from TK. Apparently their computer says I still need to take another flight, so as I thought, the expiry date is effective and I need to find someone to fix it (or hope that my flight on the 2nd Oct will trigger the extension).

Last edited by ahopkins767; Sep 25, 19 at 8:18 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 25, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KL803 View Post
  • extension of Elite status of 1 more year if completing 15K status miles with TK international flights (I most probably can't achieve this)
Dare I say that instead of "I most probably can't achieve this" you mean "I probably won't bother" or "I haven't looked into how to earn status miles".

15k status miles can be easily achieved with one return in TK Business Class from Europe to Asia or North America.

Where people start with the "I might not achieve this" is the year 2 requirement of 37.5k miles to renew... Of course if you just signed up to get lounge access for one trip to IST, that's your own business, although many of us would see that as a waste of your once-in-a-lifetime match...
Old Sep 25, 19, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Of course if you just signed up to get lounge access for one trip to IST,
And a darn fine lounge it is too - I particularly like the baggage lockers so you can go shopping .
Old Sep 26, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Do you happen to know whether the 8m extension was automatically applied upon you taking the first TK flight or at the end of the 4 initial months?
I was granted the status match in mid-September 2018, and mid-January it automatically got extended by a further eight months. So it will be at the end of it, no matter when you fly in your first four months (my first flight was in October already).
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:53 am

I have finnair platinum status, what kind of status match they will offer?
If they accept, they give same status in TK for first 3 months?
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL View Post
I have finnair platinum status, what kind of status match they will offer?
If they accept, they give same status in TK for first 3 months?
Read the wiki.

Alternatively, here's a write up of the process... https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/11/mi...-status-match/
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:47 am

Thank you for everyone who has replied to me.

I'm enjoying my new status with TK and I am finding more reasons to travel with them.

Thinking ahead, I am thinking about how to then re-qualify for "Elit" after the initial year.

The TK site says "In case you earn 30.000 Status Miles within 1 year or 45.000 Status Miles within 2 years from the date you qualify for Elite Membership, your Elite membership will continue for 2 more years."

I have been status matched. I have been granted the first year of membership after having taken my first TK flight. My membership is due to expire on on June 3rd 2020. I currently am looking at having achieved just shy of 27,000 status miles by December, and I know I will be making further long haul trips (my itineraries are usually Asia - IST - UK). I could fairly easily meet the 30,000 status miles within the first year.

In this circumstance, I would already have qualified for the second year of membership (the status challenge laid down 15,000 TK miles as the benchmark), but would passing the 30,000 threshold then mean that I re-qualify on regular grounds?

If not, how would I re-qualify?

Also, if I re-qualify in the first year of membership, is my membership period extended by 2 years (so I would finish my first year, enjoy my second and then have another 2 after that), or does membership reset upon achieving the threshold, so I would have 2 years from that date?

I see you can qualify either over 1 year or 2. If you qualify in the first membership year, does that mean your new membership period starts (so you have the first year + 2 more) or would it start at the end of the current membership period so you would have the second membership year + 2 more.

I really appreciate your responses
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:52 am

If not, how would I re-qualify?
You could read this thread!

Simple answer is... it appears to be impossible to "requalify" for Elite during the first year of a status match. You must do 37.5K during the second year.

Year 1 - 15k on TK metal. Anything above this or non-TK *A is wasted
Year 2 - 37.5k on all *A (incl. TK)

Then you would get 2 more years and could requalify with 25k miles in "year 3".
Old Oct 11, 19, 9:14 am

Thanks Craig .

See the circled area. It says I need 25,000 status miles to protect my status, but the bar has not moved (as if to say the status miles I have collected don't count). I have emailed TK and await their response. The feedback from reviewing the past posts are that sometimes the Status miles counter resets to 0 after year one, but that other people re-qualify if they do indeed meet the criteria for renewal. No definitive answer though...

Thanks

Last edited by ahopkins767; Oct 11, 19 at 10:20 am
Old Oct 11, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Thanks Craig .

If I re-qualify in yr 3, is that good for year 5 & 6 - and 4 remains untouched...?

Thanks
Yes, if you re-qualify in year 3 your status would be extended until the end of year 6.
Old Oct 11, 19, 10:26 am

Thanks ISTflyer.

You're knowledge of TK is really impeccable!

I posted a screenshot of my miles overview above. It seems to suggest that if I collect 25,000miles this year, then I would qualify for TK Elit for 3 more years. However, the ticker has not moved for the protecting Elit status (whereas the ticker for upgrading to Elit + has), which suggests that my status miles are not counting towards it...

Do you think if I collect 25,000 status miles I will requalify? I am planning a trip of (SIN or TPE) - IST - BHX and returning to BHX-IST-MNL, this November/December which could see me get over 25,000status miles if I opt for the 350USD more expensive date, or I would achieve just 15,000 on the cheaper date. Either one will have me requalify for Year 2, but if I will also qualify for a 2yr extension then I will go for the more expensive fare for the freedom of not having to consider who I fly with - given I am also SkyTeam Elite + (Flying Blue Gold)...and am a few flights off Platinum too.
Old Oct 11, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
If you're within a status match, the bar would start counting after the end of the 1st year. So ignore it until you're in your 2nd year.
craigthemif likes this.

Search this Thread