TK status match (2017 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 20, 6:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Jaenks
Wiki Link
Update January 2020:

According to statusmatcher.com TK will only issue the the status match challenge to those holders of the following status:

Oneworld Emerald
Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
Skyteam Elite Plus
Emirates Gold/Platinum
Etihad Gold
Oman Air Gold


Other Gold Card holders including *G are out of luck.

Please report your experience in this thread and note the useful information in the Wiki below.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.


4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!


02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (note list of matchable status above)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 19, 2:34 am
  #541  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 159
@ISTFlyer

Thanks for offering further help! It would be wonderful if I could just book another *A flight to fulfill the 15K requirement. However, at this point, I am bit confused as if you read @craigthemif comment, it seems that it would have to be operated by Turkish. The wording in the email is quite bad to be honest.

Any further light on this would be great. Change fee + fare difference + OTA fee is coming up to around 800Eur....

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
@thelister

May I ask you, are you trying to fulfill your 15000 miles requirement?
If so, if you're flying with other *A members until 1 Mar, credit them to TK which would also fulfill the requirements.
Or do a mileage run which could be cheaper than changing your ticket. If you provide your hometown and miles that you would collect until 25-26 Feb, we could help you on finding the cheapest ways to earn the required miles.
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Operated by Turkish.

If you read the main thread, you'll see lots of complaints from people who did their miles with a *A airline. TK status match (2017 onwards)
Originally Posted by thelister View Post
Amigos,

For those who received a similar email after status match, could you please shed some light on whether the 15,000 Status Miles have to be operated by Turkish Airlines? Or would any in Star Alliance be okay?

Excerpt from email: Elite Status Match was done as per your request in your feedback, and your membership account number TKxxxx has been shifted to the Elite status. The Elite card trial period is 4 months. Subsequent to the inclusion of an international flight you will perform with Turkish Airlines within the first 4 months following the beginning of your Elite membership in your account, your trial period will be extended for 8 months and regarded valid for one year in total. If you earn 15,000 status miles in Turkish Airlines international line flights in the first year of your Elite membership, your membership will be extended for one year, and it will be valid for two years in total.

Thanks.
T
thelister is offline  
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:59 am
  #542  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: OTP, CHQ, EIN and beyond
Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by thelister View Post
However, at this point, I am bit confused as if you read @craigthemif comment, it seems that it would have to be operated by Turkish. The wording in the email is quite bad to be honest.

Any further light on this would be great. Change fee + fare difference + OTA fee is coming up to around 800Eur....
The 15,000 miles in the first year of the status match indeed have to be earned on TK operated flights.
Romanianflyer is offline  
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:01 am
  #543  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,621
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
The 15,000 miles in the first year of the status match indeed have to be earned on TK operated flights.
Originally Posted by thelister View Post
@ISTFlyer

Thanks for offering further help! It would be wonderful if I could just book another *A flight to fulfill the 15K requirement. However, at this point, I am bit confused as if you read @craigthemif comment, it seems that it would have to be operated by Turkish. The wording in the email is quite bad to be honest.

Any further light on this would be great. Change fee + fare difference + OTA fee is coming up to around 800Eur....
Yes, the wording is so bad. That's why I was confused.
800 EUR is too much for a change fee.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:41 am
  #544  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 159
I guess I'm going to have to take a flight out of Egypt again for the discounted biz flights
thelister is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 6:02 am
  #545  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
Hey Frequent Flyers,

I need your help. I asked for status match. This has been approved. According to the E-Mail this status is valid for 2 years and its a match and not a challenge.

According to the mobile app the status is only valid until 31.12.19.

What is correct?

Thank you :-)

FLRSW is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 10:44 am
  #546  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,403
Originally Posted by FLRSW View Post
Hey Frequent Flyers,

I need your help. I asked for status match. This has been approved. According to the E-Mail this status is valid for 2 years and its a match and not a challenge.

We need more information. Did you actually fly 40k miles? Have you taken your TK flight after requesting the status match and/or complete the 15k? Does the end of December match up with the 4 month trial period? (i.e. when did you receive the match)
ISTFlyer likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:59 am
  #547  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: OTP, CHQ, EIN and beyond
Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Posts: 1,345
Being 1 year into my status match in which I needed to gather 15,000 miles on TK flights only (I managed around 25k) - Turkish Airlines' brilliant IT system decided to downgrade me to Classic Plus

I gathered from reading on the forums/internet that such glitches are fairly common and can be easily/quickly solved by their help desk? I'm not surprised this actually happened - I was actually pleasantly surprised that in the beginning of the status match (perform a TK flight within the first four months) gave zero problems and extended automatically in their systems

I created a feedback ticket and called the hotline (AMS number) - the first agent (AMS based) said that she could indeed see that I'm right in that my status should be extended for a second year, but said she could not help me further reinstating the Elite status. She however transferred me to another number of customer service where a guy (not sure if he completely understood my questions/corresponding feedback ticket!) said that the back office would need to deal with it.

Anyone has any experience how long this will typically take them? I need to book some flights for the upcoming weekend with a fairly long layover at ATH and would hate it to be left out in the public spaces of the airport instead of the lovely little LH lounge
Romanianflyer is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:22 pm
  #548  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,621
Just a remark that 15000 miles should be done on TK international flights, domestic flights do not count.

I don't have any information about how long it takes for these kinds of cases to be fixed but the earliest you fill out a feedback form, the earliest the issue would be solved.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:08 pm
  #549  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: OTP, CHQ, EIN and beyond
Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Just a remark that 15000 miles should be done on TK international flights, domestic flights do not count.

I don't have any information about how long it takes for these kinds of cases to be fixed but the earliest you fill out a feedback form, the earliest the issue would be solved.
Yeah, those 25k were all on TK. I only did a few short A3/LO flights on top of that when it comes to *A.

I filed the ticket 2 days ago/called today on top of it. Will keep the forum posted when/how it gets resolved for future reference!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Romanianflyer is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:05 am
  #550  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by FLRSW View Post
Hey Frequent Flyers,

I need your help. I asked for status match. This has been approved. According to the E-Mail this status is valid for 2 years and its a match and not a challenge.

According to the mobile app the status is only valid until 31.12.19.

What is correct?

Thank you :-)

Same for me, matched from an Asiana Diamond (*G) card :-)
Is this a wrongly directed standard-e-mail, or do I really not have to fulfill a challenge?

EDIT: The website states a validity of 4 months for the status, hence I suppose the regular status match rules apply?

Last edited by jonasfischer; Sep 19, 19 at 3:28 am
jonasfischer is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:01 am
  #551  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: OTP, CHQ, EIN and beyond
Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
Yeah, those 25k were all on TK. I only did a few short A3/LO flights on top of that when it comes to *A.

I filed the ticket 2 days ago/called today on top of it. Will keep the forum posted when/how it gets resolved for future reference!
Update on my own story. I now got this email from Turkish with my status bumped back to elite.

Dear Mr. X,

Since you have reached a total of 40000 Status Miles within the past 12 months, your card level has been upgraded to Elite Card.

If you reach a total of 45000 Status Miles during your membership period for 2 years, your Elite card will be extended for 2 more years.

if you reach 80000 Status Miles by 30/09/2020 your membership card will be upgraded to Elite Plus Card.
No further answer to my actual feedback ticket/questions, just this email that I'm bumped back to elite/*A gold.

I suspect this is just an automated/standard email answer as of course what is written is weird and not applicable at all to the 2nd year of the status match at all. Heck, I didnt even reach 40k miles.. I only reached just over the 15k+ on TK flights in year 1 of the status match so far as required by it..!

So sould I now follow this email for requalifying goals (40k in 2 years)? Or disregard it and assume my initial goal for the 2nd year of status match still counts? (37.5k in the 2nd year)?
Romanianflyer is offline  
Old Sep 21, 19, 11:49 am
  #552  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Posts: 194
I requested a status match from Flying Blue Gold (SkyTeam Elite +). Was given a match/challenge, whereby

- The Elite card trial period is 4 months, with expiry exactly 4 months forthwith.
- Extended by 8 more months (so 1yr in total) after taking a TK int'l flight within the initial 4 months.
- If I earn 15,000 status miles with TK int'l flights within first year, membership will be extended by another year.

Upon gaining the status match, the account overview gave an expiry date of 4 months from the matching date. However, after the subsequent TK flight, this has not changed. I have it confirmed from TK, via email, that I have met the criteria for the first extension but I don't know when this will reflect. My reading from here seems a few people get their status dropped off, and have to request it to be re-instated - so perhaps that will be what will happen, but I hope it won't happen as I have a journey I hope to use to additional baggage two days after the 4month trial expiry (although I do make more TK flights before that too).

Question:

Does the status drop off after the 4month extension and you need to request it to be re-instated or is it automatically done?

Thanks!

Last edited by ahopkins767; Sep 21, 19 at 11:58 am Reason: Add question
ahopkins767 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 19, 4:16 pm
  #553  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: OTP, CHQ, EIN and beyond
Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by ahopkins767 View Post
Question:

Does the status drop off after the 4month extension and you need to request it to be re-instated or is it automatically done?

Thanks!
In my case this extended automatically/went fine after four months in my status match.

The supposedly automatic extension after the first year... not so much as you can read above as I got erroneously downgraded to Classic Plus.

I had the same kind of situation as you fear could happen to you in that the erroneous downgrade happened a few days before a flight involving a long layover. For a moment I dreaded not having lounge access if my status would not be reinstated in time, but all TK staff I spoke told not to worry. In sucha a case you should call back at T-24 as in the case of an upcoming TK flight within a day, the TK back office can handle such cases with high urgency and give your problem immediate priority.

In my case the erroneous downgrade was set back three days after my initial call and in time for my flight, so it did not apply to me. But it seemed by the words of the TK staff I spoke that there will always be a quick solution in case it is urgently needed.
Romanianflyer is offline  
Old Sep 21, 19, 4:46 pm
  #554  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH, MNL
Programs: FB Silver, ANA, Accor Gold
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by ahopkins767 View Post
I requested a status match from Flying Blue Gold (SkyTeam Elite +). Was given a match/challenge, whereby

- The Elite card trial period is 4 months, with expiry exactly 4 months forthwith.
- Extended by 8 more months (so 1yr in total) after taking a TK int'l flight within the initial 4 months.
- If I earn 15,000 status miles with TK int'l flights within first year, membership will be extended by another year.

Upon gaining the status match, the account overview gave an expiry date of 4 months from the matching date. However, after the subsequent TK flight, this has not changed. I have it confirmed from TK, via email, that I have met the criteria for the first extension but I don't know when this will reflect. My reading from here seems a few people get their status dropped off, and have to request it to be re-instated - so perhaps that will be what will happen, but I hope it won't happen as I have a journey I hope to use to additional baggage two days after the 4month trial expiry (although I do make more TK flights before that too).

Question:

Does the status drop off after the 4month extension and you need to request it to be re-instated or is it automatically done?

Thanks!
I made the same request like above today. I'll let you know about the outcome. Hopefully, the match is approved before my flight on October 20.
KL803 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:31 am
  #555  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by KL803 View Post
I made the same request like above today. I'll let you know about the outcome. Hopefully, the match is approved before my flight on October 20.
My memory is that TK were quick in responding, and as long as you fulfil their whims they will grant your wish.

I hope your first flight with them goes smoothly. Mine was less so.

I was booked for SIN-IST-BHX then BHX-IST-MNL. I was due to spend 2 or 3 nights in Singapore before boarding the TK flight, but as I boarded a plane at Manila Airport enroute to SIN I got an email notifying me as a schedule change. They had cancelled the original BHX-IST on the return trip due to the 737MAX outage. No problem I thought, I'll fix that later - but when I later rang, it turned out it was a problem. I had to reconfirm my flight and fix the return before I could board, and if I didn't, well the flight would be cancelled. I had booked through GotoGate, so this was a little kerfuffle, and would involve either going to a ticket office (which was closed for a weekend and national holiday) or doing it through the travel agent, which I managed after several attempts.

...I think TK will take some getting used to, but other than that I've been impressed with their long haul product.

And thank you Romanianflyer for the nugget of your experience
Romanianflyer likes this.

Last edited by ahopkins767; Sep 22, 19 at 6:33 am Reason: Correction
ahopkins767 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: