Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAA ban on US flights to/from Turkey, incl. all TK flights lifted, flights resume

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Update: The FAA lifted all restrictions on flights to and from Turkey at 1:45 p.m. EDT, July 18, 2016. TK flights to the US will resume Tuesday 19 July.

Effective 16 July the US Federal Aviation Administration have banned all flights by US operators to/from Turkey (there are currently no US carriers operating passenger services to Turkey). It also banned all flights from Turkey to the US by any operator, this includes all TK flights to nine US cities including 3x daily to JFK as well as IAD, MIA, SFO, LAX, IAH, BOS, ATL and ORD.

NOTAM (notice to airmen):

Print Wikipost

FAA ban on US flights to/from Turkey, incl. all TK flights lifted, flights resume

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:07 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold

OK folks. I need help. hope this is considered the right place.

I booked a business ticket 5 months ago through TK for a trip LAX-IST-BEY for my sister's wedding.

I heard on the radio today that the FAA just banned all flights from to Turkey into the US.

Ofcourse I can't get anyone to pick up a phone.
what are my options, should I just book through another airline and have my credit card resolve this matter.
will TK do anything about this.

need help. I have to fly out and be there before next weekend.

Thank you
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by fnaime23
OK folks. I need help. hope this is considered the right place.

I booked a business ticket 5 months ago through TK for a trip LAX-IST-BEY for my sister's wedding.

I heard on the radio today that the FAA just banned all flights from to Turkey into the US.

Ofcourse I can't get anyone to pick up a phone.
what are my options, should I just book through another airline and have my credit card resolve this matter.
will TK do anything about this.

need help. I have to fly out and be there before next weekend.

Thank you
Depending on how quickly flights are resumed.

Before resolving with credit card company, go to TK's ticketing counter at TBIT LAX. Ask them if they can re-route, I would go to LAX tomorrow (Sunday) first, I am sure there will be a lot of people trying to check-in but this is a different matter. Second option would be going to TK's sales office in downtown LA but my experience at LAX in the past seems to be it has the same capacity as ticketing office so try to get this resolved at LAX first.

Assuming the ban is taking longer than a few days, ideally TK should re-book you with another carrier, if not, get the refund (or resolve with credit card company), re-book J with LOT now between YYZ-BEY for around $2250, so you will be able to at least enjoy J cabin on the main segments.

This is a really bad timing for Turkey and TK, given July is one of the busiest months for traveling. Best wish of luck.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:02 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vincewy
Depending on how quickly flights are resumed.

Before resolving with credit card company, go to TK's ticketing counter at TBIT LAX. Ask them if they can re-route, I would go to LAX tomorrow (Sunday) first, I am sure there will be a lot of people trying to check-in but this is a different matter. Second option would be going to TK's sales office in downtown LA but my experience at LAX in the past seems to be it has the same capacity as ticketing office so try to get this resolved at LAX first.

Assuming the ban is taking longer than a few days, ideally TK should re-book you with another carrier, if not, get the refund (or resolve with credit card company), re-book J with LOT now between YYZ-BEY for around $2250, so you will be able to at least enjoy J cabin on the main segments.

This is a really bad timing for Turkey and TK, given July is one of the busiest months for traveling. Best wish of luck.
thank you for that info.

I worry that there will not be any one at LAX. but its a chance i have to take. will they give me any problems because I've booked this online? will they just try to get me to call online services?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:11 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

does anyone know what time there will be someone at the turkish airline airport counter? if i go at 10am will there be someone there?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:21 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

if there is a guarantee there is anyone at the desk, i would head up there right now @ 6.20pm Saturday night
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:50 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

I just got an email confirmation that all flights will resume back to normal starting the monday the 18th, also was told that on the phone and the website shows that the flights from the 18th will resume.

is it possible that it will be the case?

I have a pending reservation on a similarly priced ticket, same class with Air France. ofcourse if I cancel, I pay a penalty, if I wait, I miss my flight. lol

do you folks still believe I can get something done at the airport.

thank you for the advice.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:51 pm

Help - Friday Travel for five and FAA ban

Hello all...I need help. I am booked on Turkish airlines from SFO to IST to AMM. I booked the family ticket on Citi Prestige and mine was on Amex Platinum. Our return is via the same route and is scheduled two weeks after

I know these two cards offer some protection but what would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you connect with Turkish Airlines to rebook or go through the insurance through those credit cards? We can't handle more than one connection to go to AMM because we have kids.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by MSerforfun
Hello all...I need help. I am booked on Turkish airlines from SFO to IST to AMM. I booked the family ticket on Citi Prestige and mine was on Amex Platinum. Our return is via the same route and is scheduled two weeks after

I know these two cards offer some protection but what would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you connect with Turkish Airlines to rebook or go through the insurance through those credit cards? We can't handle more than one connection to go to AMM because we have kids.
AA, UA, and DL are offering flight changes, which airline issued the tickets?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:02 pm

We bought it straight from Turkish Airlines.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:07 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

I finally got some TK folks in LA to return my emails and got someone on the phone. TK has not officially cancelled any flights starting monday the 18th of July. over email they said they hope to get all operations in order before my flight on the 20th.

I'm in the same boat, TK will not change or cancel at this time (without a penalty) and have only cancelled flights until the 17th. hoping to resume on monday. I have a reservation on Air France valid until end of day tomorrow.
Visa Signature on Chase Sapphire Preferred all they really do is file a claim that has to go through an adjuster. so who knows if that will go anywhere.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:07 pm

Similarly, when IST was bombed, the FAA issued the ban on June 28th and lifted it on June 29th. I guess he FAA looks at "things back to normal" before they lift the ban. The June 28th incident did not destabilize the entire country but yesterday's events did. I am sure the FAA is aware of the inconvenience they create by doing this and therefore, a quick decision will be made by those official (is what I expect) as soon as the country goes back to normal. Sporadic shots fired, pockets of army fighting etc will not help the ban. Cross your fingers and we'll see how things unfold.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:10 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Similarly, when IST was bombed, the FAA issued the ban on June 28th and lifted it on June 29th. I guess he FAA looks at "things back to normal" before they lift the ban. The June 28th incident did not destabilize the entire country but yesterday's events did. I am sure the FAA is aware of the inconvenience they create by doing this and therefore, a quick decision will be made by those official (is what I expect) as soon as the country goes back to normal. Sporadic shots fired, pockets of army fighting etc will not help the ban. Cross your fingers and we'll see how things unfold.
Thanks. If it wasn't because I have to be there for a wedding, I wouldn't care.

I guess I have to check back to see if hte ban is lifted (which will not happen sunday). which means my reservation with AF will expire. yup gotta cross my fingers and hope something works out.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Hello all...I need help. I am booked on Turkish airlines from SFO to IST to AMM. I booked the family ticket on Citi Prestige and mine was on Amex Platinum. Our return is via the same route and is scheduled two weeks after.
Most likely flight operations will be back to normal with the next couple days so travelling Friday will most likely not be affected. If operations do not resume as expected and the grace period for free cancellations/rescheduling is extended call TK. There is nothing you can do now but give it a few days to see how things progress - there is a very good chance that you will be able to travel Friday as scheduled.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:35 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The Turkish Directorate General of Civil Aviation and the US' TSA are to inspect IST tomorrow to review security arrangements.

Findings will inform the future of TK's flights to the US.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:20 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
The Turkish Directorate General of Civil Aviation and the US' TSA are to inspect IST tomorrow to review security arrangements.

Findings will inform the future of TK's flights to the US.
do you have a link for this and a way for us to stay updated?
I fly out Wednesday, hopefully

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.