Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 18, 16, 3:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Wiki Link
Let's keep this thread specific to flight and travel information. For those members who are OMNI-enabled and wish to discuss political or non-travel/flight aspects of this, they may do so at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...up-turkey.html We'd request that such posts not take place in this Turkish Airlines thread. Thanks.

------
IST Airport is open again and TK flights are arriving and departing. US flights remain cancelled. TK have extended the following waiver:

Due to this situation, for individual and group reservations, provided that:
  • Flights operated by Turkish Airlines ( including AnadoluJet trademark )
  • Departing/arriving to Turkey (including domestic flights) and/or transit flights via Turkey
  • Flights operated between 15 July 2016 20 July 2016 (inclusive)
  • Ticketed on/before 15 July 2016
  • Tickets are revalidated untıl 15 August 2016 (ınclusive)

disregardıng of related fare rules

1) All Rebooking/ReRouting will be made without any charge provided that new destination is same IATA region & same cabin class

2) Refund requests:

a) Unused tickets: refund will be made without any charge; or

b) For partially used tickets, when planned trip is not complete; the remaining flights will be refunded without any charge.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

Validity of ticket can be extended until 15 August 2016 (inclusive) without any fare difference or penalty.
What to do if you want to change plans outside the waiver?

You are out of luck. If the flights are operating you will not get a refund or be able to change flights for free. You may wish to check the conditions of your travel insurance. If your country advises against travel to Turkey your travel insurance may cover the costs, however currently neither the US, UK or any EU countries have such advisories.

If your journey involves a TK flight to/from the US these are currently banned. You should be able to change these or get a refund by contacting the airline. This will only apply while the FAA ban is in operation.

As of July 16, the USA has banned all inbound flights from Turkey. Knowledgeable sources indicate flights should restart on 20 July.

Other airports, including SAW, are operating relatively normal.

Live information about the events unfolding can be found via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 15, 16, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Gulf Air 45 looks to have started its initial descent, then changed direction and climbed back to FL360. It's just started another descent, possibly ATH?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GFA45

THY4 JFK-IST, still looking to be on course, though it's 3 hours out.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THY4
Given the time, flights scheduled for IST arrival will not be able to all be re-routed to Athens.

TK's flights -- at least some of them -- seem to be still allowed to land into IST. It's the non-Turkish carriers' flights that seem to be getting diverted to other airports/countries.
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:28 pm

Cross-firing reportedly heard outside IST airport.

At this point, visitors in Turkey are being advised that it is better to hunker down and avoid crowded public areas/demonstrations (and there are some around and growing in Istanbul) and they should not be leaving to the airport to catch a flight and probably not even to leave the airport unless compelled to do so.
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Diamond
HH6371 got as low as 8000ft but now climbing rapidly
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:30 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
On Sunday morning my ex and my son are flying on Bulgaria Air TLV-SOF and I am flying on El Al TLV-BUH. Normally, both of these flights would fly over Turkey. I am wondering now if they will be cancelled, fly their normal routes, or fly longer routes over Greece.
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:31 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Gulf Air 45 is being rerouted. The flight course looks like Athens.
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Given the time, flights scheduled for IST arrival will not be able to all be re-routed to Athens.
I was referring to a single flight, Gulf 45. If it's not landing at ATH, then Maverick's planning a fly-by. It's headed directly there and descending.

Aeroflot 2134 landed in Aeroflotskyi? Somewhat ironic...

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 15, 16 at 4:39 pm
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:49 pm

Live periscope feed that's a bit choppy from IST, right outside of the airport https://www.periscope.tv/syfcicekci/1jMJgybvVjXKL
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I was referring to a single flight, Gulf 45. If it's not landing at ATH, then Maverick's planning a fly-by. It's headed directly there and descending.

Aeroflot 2134 landed in Aeroflotskyi? Somewhat ironic...
That Russian carrier flight landed there? Seems to have got rerouted via there but is again showing as in the air and headed toward Turkey. Strange.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ghtNumber=2134
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nlee View Post
Damn. Ticketing and operating carrier for me is TK, and customer support is telling me that not only is rerouting not possible, but that I won't be able to get a refund for my ticket.
Where does your ticket start? Have you looked at any TK ToCs that are available online? If one of your outbound flights in cancelled, I would expect a full refund or at worst a full credit toward later flights with TK.
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:05 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Live information about the events unfolding can be found via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

Sky News is free to watch live on YouTube and has live coverage:
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Again, at this stage this forum is for TK related matters only.

Flights in and out of IST are suspended. Other Turkish airports, including SAW, appear to operate to some degree.
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:16 pm

Protests/chanting crowds inside the IST airport and on the airport tarmac too. Looks like IST flights won't be flying or landing a whole lot there in the morning.
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:36 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Protests/chanting crowds inside the IST airport and on the airport tarmac too. Looks like IST flights won't be flying or landing a whole lot there in the morning.
I wonder if it's past the secured area in the airport too? Rather scary...
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Where does your ticket start? Have you looked at any TK ToCs that are available online? If one of your outbound flights in cancelled, I would expect a full refund or at worst a full credit toward later flights with TK.
Point of origin is in the Netherlands, with final destination in the US. It's in blatant violation of EU and probably US law.

They're trying to argue that the flights aren't cancelled, even when the US state department is confirming they are.
Old Jul 15, 16, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Why is Turkish airspace not closed?
- I still see hundreds of commercial planes flying over Turkish airspace.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 15, 16 at 8:08 pm Reason: To edit out content which is off-topic for this thread. (Please see wiki.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: