Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Let's keep this thread specific to flight and travel information. For those members who are OMNI-enabled and wish to discuss political or non-travel/flight aspects of this, they may do so at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1778571-military-coup-turkey.html We'd request that such posts not take place in this Turkish Airlines thread. Thanks.

------
IST Airport is open again and TK flights are arriving and departing. US flights remain cancelled. TK have extended the following waiver:

Due to this situation, for individual and group reservations, provided that:
  • Flights operated by Turkish Airlines ( including AnadoluJet trademark )
  • Departing/arriving to Turkey (including domestic flights) and/or transit flights via Turkey
  • Flights operated between 15 July 2016 – 20 July 2016 (inclusive)
  • Ticketed on/before 15 July 2016
  • Tickets are revalidated untıl 15 August 2016 (ınclusive)

disregardıng of related fare rules

1) All Rebooking/ReRouting will be made without any charge provided that new destination is same IATA region & same cabin class

2) Refund requests:

a) Unused tickets: refund will be made without any charge; or

b) For partially used tickets, when planned trip is not complete; the remaining flights will be refunded without any charge.

3) Extension of ticket validity:

Validity of ticket can be extended until 15 August 2016 (inclusive) without any fare difference or penalty.
What to do if you want to change plans outside the waiver?

You are out of luck. If the flights are operating you will not get a refund or be able to change flights for free. You may wish to check the conditions of your travel insurance. If your country advises against travel to Turkey your travel insurance may cover the costs, however currently neither the US, UK or any EU countries have such advisories.

If your journey involves a TK flight to/from the US these are currently banned. You should be able to change these or get a refund by contacting the airline. This will only apply while the FAA ban is in operation.

As of July 16, the USA has banned all inbound flights from Turkey. Knowledgeable sources indicate flights should restart on 20 July.

Other airports, including SAW, are operating relatively normal.

Live information about the events unfolding can be found via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq
Print Wikipost

Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016)

Search this Thread

FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Check this twitter a/c :

https://twitter.com/agirecudi

He is updating his news as they come along

Update that may be relevant:

* Turkish Airlines customer support in Turkey is currently unreachable via Google Voice
* Customer service is reachable in the US
* Customer service is *not* authorised to reroute flights via codeshares at this time
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
The Army has declared martial law and the formation of a "council of peace" to run the power in the country. So everything has fallen under their control - airport and comm.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I hope I can reroute to United for my flight back to TLV in two weeks. There are going to be a lot of stranded Israelis this summer since TK has something like 20% market share at TLV and the LY pilots have been striking.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Considering what happened to BA 149 in Kuwait in 1990, there's no way BA lands at IST right now. Probably don't have the fuel to make it back to London, guessing they're working to figure out where they can land for now.
BA 149 has already landed in Beirut (BEY).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
BA 149 has already landed in Beirut (BEY).
I was referring to a particular instance of that flight number historically (hence the 1990 reference): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...ays_Flight_149
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:34 pm

Are people on here seriously complaining about being inconvenienced by a freaking military coup? Just be happy you're not in Turkey atm.

Last edited by sedubby; Jul 15, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I have been in Bangkok for multiple military actions, including massive protest control and the latest military coup.

The biggest problem with aviation was the sunrise to sunset curfews: getting everyone and everything it takes to support airport operations lined up. Foreign carriers stop flights, ground transportation links shut down, no concrete information available on flight statuses or flight resumptions, ect.

It will be a mess for quite some time.

SL
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Considering what happened to BA 149 in Kuwait in 1990, there's no way BA lands at IST right now. Probably don't have the fuel to make it back to London, guessing they're working to figure out where they can land for now.
Has landed in Sofia.

Watching coverage on Aljazeera.com which has live video from the streets of Istanbul. Not so sure about the commentaries, but spin from government is sounding too positive to be believed. Thought I just heard the President say the word Pennsylvania. Is he claiming this coup has been instigated by the US?

Last edited by Shareholder; Jul 15, 2016 at 4:14 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:40 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by echino
Flight radar showing ground vehicles at IST which look like tanks? TK flights are arriving, other airlines appear to be in holding pattern.
I think they are airport ground vehicles and not tanks. I have noticed them at other airports as well. Some are identified as FLLME2, ARFF1, ELKTRIK1 and KUSARAC1.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Likely heading to Italy from the looks of the vector. Passing on Athens which will likely field a lot of diverted flights tonight unless they've fuel to head back to their home/originating airports.
Landed in SOF, probably to refuel.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Likely heading to Italy from the looks of the vector. Passing on Athens which will likely field a lot of diverted flights tonight unless they've fuel to head back to their home/originating airports.
Diverted to Sofia I think.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:45 pm

BA680 diverted to Sofia for refueling.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I just changed a LAX-IST-ATH trip leaving tomorrow night to LAX-FRA-ATH. No idea if TK 10 will operate tomorrow night, not taking the risk.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

I have a connection on the 13th of September, should I try to change now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.