Wiki Posts
Search

Gluten Free Meal in J?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
Gluten Free Meal in J?

Does anyone know what the typical Gluten-Free meal is in J? We're flying MLE-IST-ZRH in 2 weeks, and we requested a GFML for my wife, not sure if we should plan on her eating prior or not haha.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: co AA ua
3 years ago flew J ORD-TLV. On the way back for breakfast lamb chops from TLV. For lunch Lamb chops from IST. Before landing salmon.

Both had tomato sauce. Tasty. Not bad better than US carriers which Gluten free means bland meal for them
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
TKs GFMLs are awesome

I did not fly MLE-IST or IST-ZRH and do not know the exact meal they will serve on those flights during your days of travel, but I also order GFMLs all the time. On more than 10 TK flights in J during the last four years, those GFMLs have always been awesome (or at least good, one was ok).

TK, OS and SQ meals beat every other carrier I've flown (>15 different ones).
The GFML they serve is usually so good I would even order and enjoy it in a restaurant on the ground.

With TK GMFL, they always served a nice starter plate with something like "turkish antipasti" (whatever the correct name might be ). Sometimes this comes with rice waffles, other times you'll get a gluten free bread roll (usually served later with your main course if you don't ask to have it served earlier).
The main courses I had have usually been chicken, fish or lamb, served with rice or potatoes, and different kinds of vegetables.
Your wife can absolutely plan on eating the GFML and even look forward to it!

The only thing I didn't like is that I never was served real butter, but some kind of diet replacement thing instead. Everything else always tasted great.

Just watch out for the FAs walking around with small plates of starters (the same size like small plates of nuts): 3 out of 10 times I was offered something by the FAs that looked like small pieces of bread with nice appetizers on top. So I always asked "Excuse me, I have some allergies so I ordered a GFML. Is this gluten free?". They asked the chef, and everytime I suspected it wasn't gluten free, it really wasn't... In J you have a chef / cook (they are not FAs, but real catering professionals employed by DO&CO - not by TK - I talked to some of them). They serve long range J cabins and also IST-ZRH if you have real J seats (not Y seats with free middle seat - still a nice GFML then, just no chef on board).
Whatever you receive on your personal, "bigger plate"/tablet is 100% GFML and whatever the chef serves to you is 100% GFML (if you ordered it). So just make sure when the other FAs walk around with their small plates of appetizers/desserts they hand out to everyone to deny that or ask if it is gluten free.

Enjoy your flight!
Cheers,
zap
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:13 am

Any experience with GF meals in shorthaul economy (European routes)?

Last edited by teahan; Jul 25, 2016 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
GFML in Y

All my last flights on them were in C, but three years ago I flew them in Y (FRA-IST + IST-AYT). Even in eco - and even for the 1 hour flight IST-AYT - GFMLs have been good, on par with what LH serves you for long haul C.

If I remember correctly, it was lamp with rice and prawns with rice + salads. Served on one of those Y-trays that look like "microwave dishes", but still good.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:13 am

Pictures of C class gluten free meals

OK, found some pictures on my backup hard drive (May 2016).

Here you have:

- medium haul (4h) with proper business seats and on board chef starter and ...
- ... main course (chicken + rice, same flight)

- long haul starters...
- ... main course (chicken + potatoes + grilled vegetables) and ...
- ... dessert

- 4h flight in C with Y seats/middle seats blocked, no on board chef, still very delicious meal, starters...
- ... and main course (delicious fish with vegetables and potatoes in some kind of wrapping, looked much better than in the photo, I just had to tear it apart to take a photo of what's inside)

- long haul breakfast part 1 ...
- ... and part 2 = hot omelette with spinach. Photo does not look that good but it tasted really good.

- another long haul meal, starter and main course together (salmon with rice, it doesn't look like much but was big enough for me and I am a big guy)

afiyet olsun!
Attached Images          

Last edited by zap7; Jul 25, 2016 at 10:20 am Reason: added description for pictures
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by zap7
All my last flights on them were in C, but three years ago I flew them in Y (FRA-IST + IST-AYT). Even in eco - and even for the 1 hour flight IST-AYT - GFMLs have been good, on par with what LH serves you for long haul C.

If I remember correctly, it was lamp with rice and prawns with rice + salads. Served on one of those Y-trays that look like "microwave dishes", but still good.
Great, many thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Awesome pictures/review, I'll report back in 2 weeks if my experience mirrors yours!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by teahan
Any experience with GF meals in shorthaul economy (European routes)?
I flew AMS-IST in economy.. and had lamb chops! It was great !
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Following up now that we've flown, wanted to recap my wife's GFML menu:

MLE-IST in J (late night flight) = appetizer was 3 different salads (tomato/cucumber, mixed greens, fruit) with no meat or cheese (not sure why they were so plain)...the main was grilled chicken over some rice, with a gluten free roll. We didn't take the pre-arrival meal, so not sure what that would have been.

IST-ZRH in J (morning flight) = appetizer was fruit plate with gluten free roll, entree was poached eggs over a spinach hash, REALLY tasty. I even enjoyed picking at her entree haha.

Overall, she was happy with the IST-ZRH leg and "meh" with the MLE-IST leg. Hope this helps any other gluten-free searchers out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.