Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How strict is TK on cabin baggage weight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Thanks everyone

Wondering if there are any recent updates on this. Am flying business SFO-IST and am *G. Was hoping to use typical US Wheelie that seems to comply with their size limits but will likely be over 8 kg.

Roll the dice?

Thanks in advance

Lurker
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Lurker
Thanks everyone

Wondering if there are any recent updates on this. Am flying business SFO-IST and am *G. Was hoping to use typical US Wheelie that seems to comply with their size limits but will likely be over 8 kg.

Roll the dice?

Thanks in advance

Lurker
you’ll probably be fine. I don’t know about SFO, but they rarely check the weight of cabin bags at LAX.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

you’ll probably be fine. I don’t know about SFO, but they rarely check the weight of cabin bags at LAX.
Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:30 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

TK C-class allows you to have 3 pieces of hand baggage (as long as TSA would let you through the check point). They never check weight in SFO (and recently I flew TPE-IST-WAW with a 12kg Rimova wheely bag - TPE check-in agent weighted the bag and didn't say a word...)

You will be fine.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:10 pm

Well, all who said that we would have no problem at SFO were correct.

Now typing this from 29k feet thanks to free Wi-Fi in C on TK

All the best to everyone else.

Lurker
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
On 10 longhaul C flights, they only checked the weight of my carry on once (it was over 12 kg) and took it from me. It was a grumpy Agent in MIA, not TK staff (I suppose in mos US airports they don't have TK staff for checkin), She had a bad day, and told me I was allowed only one piece. When I politely told her that in C you are allowed 2 pieces, she got even grumpier and insisted on me putting it on the scal

On a total of about 30 TK flights (long, medium, short, C and Y) during the last 3 years, that was the only time they ever put my carry on on the scale (TK elite+ / *G).

Lesson learned: take two minutes to watch the checkin agents if you have a bag over 9kg, and try to get a friendlier one. Just watch how they handle other flyers and if they put bags on the scale that people want to carry on. Another thing I do now is having a foldable small backpack, so I can take things out and convert one bag to two (reducing the weight) or checkin one if I have to and keep some stuff by using the unfolded backpack as my second carry on once the Rimowa four wheeler has been checked in.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
I have the same question (about carry on bag strictness in business class) for IAD departures to IST.
Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
I have the same question (about carry on bag strictness in business class) for IAD departures to IST.
Thanks!
If your bag isn’t obviously large and way over the limit, the odds are that you will be just fine, especially when flying in front.
I’d still come prepared with a plan B, something you can put your essentials in when you need to check the overweight bag.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
I am wondering about the "3 pieces" mentioned in post #19 ... the below link on the the TK website shows 2 pieces max:
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...age/index.html
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
I am wondering about the "3 pieces" mentioned in post #19 ...
Two pieces, plus a personal item (which is mentioned on the right-hand side of that page) in business. One piece + personal item in economy.

This is spel out a little clearer on the back of your boarding pass than it is on that website, but it's definitely 3 pieces total in C.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
What about Star Gold travelling in Y class. Whats the checked in luggage weight limit and pieces, from IST to CPH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.