Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Successful Legal Cases Against Turkish Airlines

Successful Legal Cases Against Turkish Airlines

Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:09 am

I see a gainer here...

After been ripped off and experiencing the Turkish airline modus operandi, being a lawyer by profession, and at the moment pursuing our case in the court of law, I have decided to use this against them.
There is actually way to earn by flying Turkish, and hunting their most cancelled flights, and then sueing them. They DO count on the fact that people do not pursue the losses, so they let the cases go to the court, and it is fairly straightforward to win them.

Just as a hint to someone else...
(This works easily especially now at COVID times, but only as long as they do not bankrupt...)
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Well....come to FT.
Odd first post.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: TK EL+, QR Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Villa Aura
After been ripped off and experiencing the Turkish airline modus operandi, being a lawyer by profession, and at the moment pursuing our case in the court of law, I have decided to use this against them.
There is actually way to earn by flying Turkish, and hunting their most cancelled flights, and then sueing them. They DO count on the fact that people do not pursue the losses, so they let the cases go to the court, and it is fairly straightforward to win them.

(This works easily especially now at COVID times, but only as long as they do not bankrupt...)
Sounds like text book vulture mentality to me.
In my short life I rather keep it with the eagles.... .sooo much more rewarding. Can't even put a price to it )
And especially now at COVID times - when countless businesses are struggling for survival - I certainly do not aspire to be a nail in the coffin.
Good luck with all your endeavors!
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Villa Aura

deliberating engineering a situation where the airline has to refund the amount you paid for your ticket ? Then taking the company to court to force a quick refund ?

Courts generally stick to "making you whole". So while your action could result in the airline refunding your cash more quickly than they might otherwise have done, it's not going to make money for you.

Your proposed course of action might give you some vindictive satisfaction, but it's not going to make you rich lawyer
DaveS and gr8pirate like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a great strategy if you don't have anything productive to do with your life or clients to pay you to do work for them. If you do and you are spending your time suing for refunds, that is income forgone with TK having the last laugh.

Hint: TK can outlast any one individual, so it could care less about this.
IAN-UK, DaveS and gr8pirate like this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
It is a great strategy if you don't have anything productive to do with your life or clients to pay you to do work for them. If you do and you are spending your time suing for refunds, that is income forgone with TK having the last laugh.

Hint: TK can outlast any one individual, so it could care less about this.

I'm still puzzling about how our lawyer friend could make money out of the wheeze.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm still puzzling about how our lawyer friend could make money out of the wheeze.
Turkey has compensation laws similar to those in EU261. If the circumstances were right, that could certainly lead to a "profit".
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Turkey has compensation laws similar to those in EU261. If the circumstances were right, that could certainly lead to a "profit".
Sure, and I have benefitted from them

but I'm not sure that a cancelled flight would qualify (mine involved missed connections).

EU legislation does not offer compensation for flights cancelled more than two weeks out, and airlines have been offered a further fig leaf to protect them from flights they ditch within two weeks of deparure.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 3, 2020 at 4:42 pm Reason: spelling!
Old May 18, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by treb
Hello,

I just want to report about a successful Legal case:
17.9.2018 flight MUC - IST - PVG; 2nd leg is delayed by 4.5 hours, reason was a technical problem. I claim 600 EUR (EG-261).
Online-claim is rejected; Claim by mail to German office transferred to Turkey, rejected agein; I transferred the case to flightright (a German lawfirm specializing in this).
They claimed again, no answer.
Then they opened a court case and finally won.
Today I received the message that Turkish Airlines had paid them the 600 EUR; I will receive 400, they keep 200.

From the very beginning is was clear that they were wrong, but they didn't care and even are willing to invest additional time and money (costs for the law case).
This is a typical lose-lose situation.

Recently the same situation happened again (3hours and 2 minutes delay). Let's see if they agree to pay directly now, or will go the same way ...

I will report.
Are you a lawyer?
Old May 18, 2023, 3:00 pm

Are you a lawyer? Do you help with this matters?
Old May 18, 2023, 3:02 pm

Hey, I need a lawyer to sue Turkish airlines, can you contact me?
Old May 19, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Most people dont know, Turkey actually has a EC261 equivalent domestic law that applies to Turkey departure as well. The trick is to submit your feedback form in Turkish - just use google translate, write simple sentences and this will be sufficient. The English speaking agents are instructed to be obstructive in hopes people will give up. The Turkish language ones, not so much..
Old May 19, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Most people dont know, Turkey actually has a EC261 equivalent domestic law that applies to Turkey departure as well. The trick is to submit your feedback form in Turkish - just use google translate, write simple sentences and this will be sufficient. The English speaking agents are instructed to be obstructive in hopes people will give up. The Turkish language ones, not so much..
Interesting info.
Any link to this form, or its turkish name? Cheers.
Old May 19, 2023, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Interesting info.
Any link to this form, or its turkish name? Cheers.
It's the feedback form on the Turkish website.

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
How could you be sure that Turkish speaking agents are more compatible and aren't instructed to be obstructive in hopes people will give up.
It's pretty much the same service level of service that someone who would speak in English would receive as it's the same agent pool who responds to those feedback forms, however, filling the forms in Turkish would mean that there would be close to zero language barrier if Google Translate is seamless.
Old May 20, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's the feedback form on the Turkish website.

How could you be sure that Turkish speaking agents are more compatible and aren't instructed to be obstructive in hopes people will give up.
It's pretty much the same service level of service that someone who would speak in English would receive as it's the same agent pool who responds to those feedback forms, however, filling the forms in Turkish would mean that there would be close to zero language barrier if Google Translate is seamless.
from personal experience. The agents are physically the same people, but when you submit it in Turkish they assume you have more information/will not give up easily.

EC261 equivalent Turkish law is there -
https://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf

In effect since 2012

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.