Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Successful Legal Cases Against Turkish Airlines

Successful Legal Cases Against Turkish Airlines

Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by boosh
Why did you send in a complaint if you reached your destination on time?
Because i had unnecessary waiting time in my departing airport and had plans during my layover in IST.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:39 am

Baggage delay Compensation - Turkish Airlines

Hi guys, could you advice on this?

My baggage was delayed for 7 days before delivered back to me, what are the procedures to make a claim against Turkish Airlines? Is that possible for me to request for allowance for every day the baggage was delayed?

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Turkish fake claim against ESTA - Denied boarding

Hi, a few days ago I had a flight FCO-IST-LAX with TK. When I got to FCO ground staff asked for a printed out version of my ESTA. I had a regularly issued ESTA on my German passport but since no airline ever asked for a print-out I didn't have any with me. After a bit of searching on my phone I found a screenshot of a the ESTA Authorization approval website that contained name, application number, passport number and validity (October 2016-2018). Ground staff said they could not use that, not sure why since it's an official Customs Border Protection page. My cell-phone died soon thereafter (so could not print that out or look for a different page) and the time was ticking so after trying to harangue my case they decided to deny me boarding to the FCO-IST leg.

Since my ticket was bought at a promo-price they then refused to re-issue a ticket for a later flight and flat out cancelled my whole trip and left me hanging at FCO. Never seen customer service that bad. Even Ryanair is friendlier.

Needless to say that it's costing me quite a bit of money to stay in Rome and first figure out if I could reason with TK customer service and then to book another flight.

The question is, can I sue them on the basis of EC 261 or should I look into other laws?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:26 am

Broken laptop and stolen stuff

Hey so I was just wondering maybe somebody here experienced something similar. My parents flew Miami-Istanbul-Odessa. When they got to Odessa one of their checked in bags was destroyed, it arrived open. Well they had a new MacBook Pro in there, which was totally broken (irreparable condition) and 7 bottles of perfume was stolen. When they arrived it was later at night, so TK office was closed. I filed a complaint online and they offered me $500 (over $4000 damage caused to that bag). Obviously if I accept that, I'm supposed to sign a whatever that basically says I can't pursue this any longer. I feel like it was a slap in my face, taking into consideration the fact that I submitted receipts and Apple authorized store report about the condition of the device. I live in Seattle and I'm planning to file a lawsuit against Turkish Airlines here in Seattle. I'm a law school student, so it's a good experience and fun research for me. Plus I feel like my parents were humiliated and disrespected, another reason I want to make things right.
I guess I'm trying to see whether somebody else had a similar situation and how does it work with residents of the U.S. Because most of the reviews here were about EU. Or maybe I could just file claims with the airline itself over and over again?
Thank you so much for your help. I apologize for my frustration
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
I had a flight booked back in December, GZP-IST-JFK, and had several correspondences with TK about correcting a spelling mistake in my name. Before this was resolved TK cancelled the GZP-IST leg due to bad weather and gave me the option to rebook several days later or get a refund that would be processed from a sales office.
I choose the refund and re booked, traveling a day later from AYT instead as there was no cancellations.

Now, when I got to the sales office in Istanbul, I was told that refunding the money back on my debit card would take 4-5 months!!! But I could get a cash refund, if only they had any cash. The main sales office for TK at their main hub had no cash. They told me to try another sales office, but after trying 3 different ones and always hearing the same story I accepted to have the money refunded on to my card and wait the 4-5 months.

Now nothing has obviously been refunded so I called the call centre with no result, no surprise there. Sent a feedback form and 3 weeks later received this:

Based on your message and your previous feedback number TK-xxxxxx, we would like to kindly inform you that the refund process can be started only after a new reservation with same flights, dates, cabin and correct personal information is presented. On your previous feedback it has been stated that for customer satisfaction if you buy new tickets with same destinations, same dates, correct passenger names, by using Turkish Airlines web site, we can cancel the old tickets and refund the money back for only valid for once.

Refering to the information above, after our investigation it has been seen that you have not presented us a new reservation with the spesifications above and re-issued your ticket. Therefore, please be informed that change/refund transactions can only be made based on the ticket rules and penalties will apply.

In order to change/refund your ticket based on the fare rules, please apply to the nearest Turkish Airlines Sales Office.

I am at my wits end as to what to do, do I really have to take legal action?? Is their cash flow so poor they actually can't process refunds? That would be a pretty bad sign.

Needless to say, I am not planning on booking anymore TK flights until this get sorted, apart from using my two annual vouchers until 2020.

Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by boosh; Aug 29, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
I had a flight booked back in December, GZP-IST-JFK, and had several correspondences with TK about correcting a spelling mistake in my name. Before this was resolved TK cancelled the GZP-IST leg due to bad weather and gave me the option to rebook several days later or get a refund that would be processed from a sales office.
I choose the refund and re booked, traveling a day later from AYT instead as there was no cancellations.

Now, when I got to the sales office in Istanbul, I was told that refunding the money back on my debit card would take 4-5 months!!! But I could get a cash refund, if only they had any cash. The main sales office for TK at their main hub had no cash. They told me to try another sales office, but after trying 3 different ones and always hearing the same story I accepted to have the money refunded on to my card and wait the 4-5 months.

Now nothing has obviously been refunded so I called the call centre with no result, no surprise there. Sent a feedback form and 3 weeks later received this:

I am at my wits end as to what to do, do I really have to take legal action?? Is their cash flow so poor they actually can't process refunds? That would be a pretty bad sign.

Needless to say, I am not planning on booking anymore TK flights until this get sorted, apart from using my two annual vouchers until 2020.

Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
What do you have from TK that is in writing? In particular, was the initial offer to rebook or get a refund in writing? If so, what exactly did TK say?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by johnirvine
What do you have from TK that is in writing? In particular, was the initial offer to rebook or get a refund in writing? If so, what exactly did TK say?
I never got anything in writing, my flight got cancelled 6 (?) hours before scheduled departure. I'm not even looking for any compensation, just a refund for the flight they themselves canclled.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
This is what credit card chargebacks are for. The contract of carriage says that you're entitled to a refund if the flight gets cancelled. TK has to honor it. Leave out the rest of the details - they're irrelevant.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might be too late to do the credit card chargeback. Also, this could depend on where the credit card was issued. Finally, the person paid with a debit card, not a credit card, which means that at least in the USA, consumer protection regulations are very different (and not in a good way).
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:36 am

Just got back from the TK sales office at LGW and got told I could get a refund of the taxes but not the full fare as the ticket had been re-issued. The flight time got changed 2-3 time before the actually cancellation.

This is just frustrating on a whole new level. I can live with the 'eccentrics' of TK but this will make choose a new carrier.

Any ideas on how to progress this would be greatly appreciated. Should I take them to small claims court? It was paid for with a UK debit card but I don't know if the transaction would fall under U.K. Consumer law.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Just got back from the TK sales office at LGW and got told I could get a refund of the taxes but not the full fare as the ticket had been re-issued. The flight time got changed 2-3 time before the actually cancellation.

This is just frustrating on a whole new level. I can live with the 'eccentrics' of TK but this will make choose a new carrier.

Any ideas on how to progress this would be greatly appreciated. Should I take them to small claims court? It was paid for with a UK debit card but I don't know if the transaction would fall under U.K. Consumer law.
Since you are based in the UK, I think this is where I would start:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-or-cancelled/

You should still file charge back with a debit card - check with your bank.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Since you are based in the UK, I think this is where I would start:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-or-cancelled/

You should still file charge back with a debit card - check with your bank.
I might have chat to CAB but I wouldn't be able to claim compensentsion under the EU scheme, neither am I trying. Simply get a refund for a cancelled flight.

The fact that my entitlement to this refund is very clearly stated on the TK website yet they refuse makes me slightly worried.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might have chat to CAB but I wouldn't be able to claim compensentsion under the EU scheme, neither am I trying. Simply get a refund for a cancelled flight.

The fact that my entitlement to this refund is very clearly stated on the TK website yet they refuse makes me slightly worried.
I totally understand that you might not be able to claim EU 261 - even though TK is kind of following it.

Anyway chat with CAB, and they might be able to tell you what's the best way to deal with this. I would also recommend contacting your card issuing bank for a possible charge back.

If TK refused to refund then you just need to get your $ back from your card issuer.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nacho
I totally understand that you might not be able to claim EU 261 - even though TK is kind of following it.
This is absolutely an EU261 issue. EU261 specifically contains provisions for what an airline must do if a flight is canceled, and one of those options is a full refund of the trip.

Compensation under EU261 might or might not also be relevant depending on the exact situation.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
This is absolutely an EU261 issue. EU261 specifically contains provisions for what an airline must do if a flight is canceled, and one of those options is a full refund of the trip.

Compensation under EU261 might or might not also be relevant depending on the exact situation.
OP is claiming a cancelled flight from GZP-IST with TK. TK is not an EU airline and the flight is not inside EU territory. Therefore TK is not obligated to follow EU 261.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.