Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Hi,
Thanks for the info. Did they give you the amount of tax/surcharge right after booking your flights or was it given on your second call when you are about to ticket it? Thanks.
Given at the end of the phone call. Told me the number of miles and the taxes (+YQ) I need to pay. Your e-mail will also state the amount of taxes (+YQ) due. Apparently you can choose the currency you want to pay the taxes in.

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer

Thanks for the data point. Are you willing to share which partner and how far in advance of the flights the booking was made?
BR and maybe 1 week in advance?
Old May 27, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Anyone seeing mismatches between UA / life miles and what's available in the tk systems today? I had a bunch that were available nad working last night and this morning they've disappeared off UA and my tk contact is telling me nothing available.. Then I use the app and see its available for guaranteed award which is 3 times the cost in miles? Any advice appreciated..

Also unrelated but keen to learn..
Any repurcussions from skipping the final leg in a multi segment reward booking? Does anyone have experience?
Old May 27, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ttep
Anyone seeing mismatches between UA / life miles and what's available in the tk systems today? I had a bunch that were available nad working last night and this morning they've disappeared off UA and my tk contact is telling me nothing available.. Then I use the app and see its available for guaranteed award which is 3 times the cost in miles? Any advice appreciated..

Also unrelated but keen to learn..
Any repurcussions from skipping the final leg in a multi segment reward booking? Does anyone have experience?
Any TK awards you see in Partner FFP’s would be the equivalent of UA Saver awards. The guaranteed awards on the TK App or website are much more expensive miles-wise, but there is much better availability. Think of it as TK’s approach to dynamic award pricing.

Last edited by gr8pirate; May 27, 2019 at 2:19 am
Old May 27, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
You won't earn miles on a reward booking so you are welcome to skip your flight. If you would have checked baggage just be aware that it's tagged to the airport that you would end your travel and not your final destination on the ticket.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:03 am

Thank you both!

Sorted it out.! Will jet over tomorrow and pay my taxes.

Re the second question. I'm going to try the hawaiil-Syd trick and just de plane in Korea and head back home to Singapore.

Are there any other inconsistencies in their region definitions that anyone else uses? I thought things like Switzerland to Dublin for 12,500 in biz were pretty good value.
​​​​
​​​
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
I just managed to book a Star Alliance award ticket via the (English) TK Elite hotline.
Just a hint to everyone trying to do the same: Initially the agent did not see availability on the flights I selected (even though I saw saver award availability on United.com). But the agent then told me that he was going to (quote) "restart and refresh his system as this sometimes allows [him] to see more availability". Well, he saw a lot more availability afterwards
So, tell the agent to refresh the system if they do not see the availability you are seeing...

Overall a pleasant experience as now also payment is possible via the hotline - no more sales office *yayy*

Last edited by SFOTraveler1984; Jun 4, 2019 at 5:57 pm
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: M&M FTL, TK*EPL, A3*G, HH Diamond
Re the second question. I'm going to try the hawaiil-Syd trick and just de plane in Korea and head back home to Singapore.
​​​​
Just curious, what's the Hawaii-SYD trick? Does Turkish have any availability on that route? I tried to fly the other way around and they weren't able to find anything, or at least that's what I was told.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Last week, I booked an award ticket in business class calling the TK Stockholm number for travel in October. I gave the agent the exact flights I wanted to take (which had availability in United website) and he was able to book it. I was told the amount of tax and fees to be paid after booking which is 112 Euro. The line was cut so I had to call again to pay for the taxes/fees.

45K miles for this itinerary: CEB-TPE-VIE-ARN where Cebu to Vienna is with EVA Air and Vienna to Stockholm is with Austrian. I am really glad that I could pay for the taxes by the phone and have it ticketed at once
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Have anyone booked an award ticket on the United Island Hopper from Honolulu to Guam before? I'm planning to travel in January, and the saver availability is wide open on United, but the phone agent claimed that they can't issue ticket on the Island Hopper at all, and can only do the direct flight. They also said that the mileage needed would be 105,000 miles round trip in economy! Did Hawaii get moved to North America zone and no longer in Oceania? If so, this is a great loss of a sweet spot in their award chart.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by pull_over
Just curious, what's the Hawaii-SYD trick? Does Turkish have any availability on that route? I tried to fly the other way around and they weren't able to find anything, or at least that's what I was told.
Not a trick per se.. Just the pricing that you're already aware of.

I put my little sister and her fiance on this via ICN in July this year. I can see some avail next year on UA

Good luck

​​​
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by monopod
Have anyone booked an award ticket on the United Island Hopper from Honolulu to Guam before? I'm planning to travel in January, and the saver availability is wide open on United, but the phone agent claimed that they can't issue ticket on the Island Hopper at all, and can only do the direct flight. They also said that the mileage needed would be 105,000 miles round trip in economy! Did Hawaii get moved to North America zone and no longer in Oceania? If so, this is a great loss of a sweet spot in their award chart.
hawaii is still in Oceania from what I can see
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: TK E
Difficulty Finding Star Alliance Award Availability to US Desintations

Is there still a glitch with Star Alliance Award tickets to U.S. Destinations?

I've been trying to book a one-way Star Alliance Award ticket from Entebbe, Uganda to various airports near my home in Florida (JAX, MCO, TPA), and the elite call-center and American-based Turkish ticketing offices say there are no available rewards for the entire year, let alone at the end of October when I am trying to book for. A quick check on United shows plenty of saver award availability, along with availability on ANA and Aeroplan award searches.

Is there any secret to successfully getting them to find available US destination Star Alliance Awards?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nhsurf60
Is there still a glitch with Star Alliance Award tickets to U.S. Destinations?

I've been trying to book a one-way Star Alliance Award ticket from Entebbe, Uganda to various airports near my home in Florida (JAX, MCO, TPA), and the elite call-center and American-based Turkish ticketing offices say there are no available rewards for the entire year, let alone at the end of October when I am trying to book for. A quick check on United shows plenty of saver award availability, along with availability on ANA and Aeroplan award searches.

Is there any secret to successfully getting them to find available US destination Star Alliance Awards?
Hi nhsurf60 and welcome to FT!

As you have seen saver awards at the United, Air Canada and ANA website; provide the information of those flights to a local TK sales office and they would be able to book it for you. Unfortunately, in your case, they weren't helpful at a general research but for specific dates and flight numbers, they should be able to assist you.

If possible go to a sales office in person.
I am not sure if the Elite hotline agents would be able to book those flights but a sales office agent would be able to do.
deleter likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:46 pm

I've been working on an itinerary w/ the BOS office via email that I'm not positive is valid with TK. They tell me it can't be booked as a single award. It's available as a single award via UA or LH, but not other Star Alliance carriers, so I'm not positive it can be booked with TK. Am I somewhat likely, very likely, or not at all likely to get a difference answer if I email a different office or call someone?

I know it's hard to predict without me posting the itinerary. I'd rather not post it -- really just curious if the general consensus is that you get a different response out of a different contact method and/or if there is one that is particularly adept at complex bookings?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NickatFM
I've been working on an itinerary w/ the BOS office via email that I'm not positive is valid with TK. They tell me it can't be booked as a single award. It's available as a single award via UA or LH, but not other Star Alliance carriers, so I'm not positive it can be booked with TK. Am I somewhat likely, very likely, or not at all likely to get a difference answer if I email a different office or call someone?
I know it's hard to predict without me posting the itinerary. I'd rather not post it -- really just curious if the general consensus is that you get a different response out of a different contact method and/or if there is one that is particularly adept at complex bookings?
No harm in asking another sales office, but in my experience, the sales offices usually know what they are doing (as opposed to the hotline). I think you are unlikely to get a different answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.