Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
At this point call SAS and tell them you want to purchase an infant ticket, they'll tell you you need to buy an adult ticket with it, you tell them you already have the adult ticket and you give them the PNR. They should be able to just sell you the infant ticket. If not, HUACA and hope for a better agent.
Tried this with 5 different SAS agents, they all told me that they cant add an infant to a ticket that starts with "2..." because thats a turkish airlines ticket and not a SAS one.

Im hoping for the best @ the airport in about 12 hours, wish me luck.

Last edited by barhom; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:46 pm Reason: adding text
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by barhom
Tried this with 5 different SAS agents, they all told me that they cant add an infant to a ticket that starts with "2..." because thats a turkish airlines ticket and not a SAS one.

Im hoping for the best @ the airport in about 12 hours, wish me luck.
That's correct but that's not what they need to do. They shouldn't touch your ticket but simply issue a new one just with the infant on SK's stock. At any rate at this point go to the airport as early as you can and go straight to the ticket office of SK.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles
When the DOT is involved, TK is quick to reply but still with no new information or schedule for resolving the problem. Got this today:

We have reevaluated your feedback case and would like to state that, unfortunately award tickets with flights operated by United Airlines and Air Canada for domectic routs can not be issued due to technical issue. We would also like to state that the related department is still working on this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and kindly submitted for your information.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes, I don't think that TK has / wants a "policy" against (domestic) award tickets on AC and UA. Much more likely is that this is all a consequence of their botched migration to the new FFP system in late 2018, and the typically incompetent handling / communications of any issues that ensue from it.

On a smaller scale, this is similar to the mismanaged move to new IST airport. Their modus operandi is "what can't go wrong isn't going wrong" - facts on the ground be damned.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles
By by the way, the new Star Alliance booking tool on TK’s website, CAN book United flights with domestic segments, but it has numerous bugs and only a handful of routes are currently showing. Moreover, I was not able to find any itineraries which include business class travel. On the flip side, the United flights which are showing has only about $50 in surcharges for RT. It’s over $500 for RT in economy on Lufthansa. Go figure.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:44 pm

My experience of booking TAP Air Portugal tickets with Turkish M&S miles.

Ctii ThankYou program is currently running promo - 25% bonus for transferring TY points to M&S program. One one biz class ticket from JFK to LIS is 45K M&S miles (which is 36K TY points).
I found the availability for four tickets at Aeroplan site. Confirmed via email with Sydney's Turkish Airlines office that they see these awards (took about 24 hours to get an initial response, but after that they were responding almost immediately).
After they put awards on hold, I transferred TY points to Turkish M&S. Took about a day for miles to appear in M&S account.

I called airline call center (since Sydney office doesn't have credit card machine - they accept just wire transfers), but they weren't able to process the payment ($5.60 per ticket).
The suggestion was to go to local ticket office to finalize the transaction (I'm in NYC, and the closest one is in JFK).
Called JFK office - no one was picking up the phone.
Then I sent emails to almost every Turkish Airlines ticket office in USA. Only LAX, JFK and ATL responded.
Each office sent me two partially pre-filled forms to fill out and sign (one for credit card authorization and another for award redemption).
They also asked to provide copies of driver license, credit card, and M&S card (since I just opened an account, I provided printout from M&S site).
I emailed scanned forms and copies to LAX office and within an hour got ticket confirmations. Upon request, they provided PNR for TAP Portugal.

Altogether, process took 4 days, but result was worth it.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Here my personal wikiguide to get an Star Alliance award.

With the following steps I got my e-ticket within 15 minutes and paid the taxes with creditcard:

I wanted to book an international award on TG C Class one way (nonstop).

1. Search award availabilty (united.com / miles more or others)

2. Look for an email adress of a good TK office (I can`t tell the one I used, they will get floated with requests)

Send an email with your routing / travel class / oneway or roundtrip and so on...

include the following documents in the email:

- MILES SMILES AWARD REQUEST FORM
https://turkishairlines.dist.sdlmedi...3-3a0622472a07
- CREDIT CARD CHARGE FORM
can`t find copy online, the good offices will send you one. Others dont know about this form.
- COPY OF PASSPORT
- COPY OF MEMBER CARD

Fill out the forms and send everything.

I got e-ticket within 15 minutes

Ok my routing was a simple one-way nonstop, dont know how it will be with connecting flights...

Additional information:

I did not have enough miles, I was missing 10`000 miles. As a TK Elite member you can borrow up to 10000 miles (negative balance). This is an already known benefit. But I can confirm now that this works also for StarAlliance award bookings over a TK office.
FFlash, on22cz, Granite64 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by northernstar84; Feb 8, 2019 at 2:02 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: *G
Website for StarAlliance award had an error that it didn't have the check-box for one-way booking (like search TK awards does).
If you omit the return date, it will instruct you to fill in return date or tick the invisible one-way box.

It didn't return any positive or negative search results. (I only searched one date and route).

I found space with TK award, that yielded technical result in booking. Pop-up literally says "Error - a technical error has occured".
Happened with all different PC browsers.

Tried booking it using mobile app and worked like a charm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Originally Posted by deniah
Website for StarAlliance award had an error that it didn't have the check-box for one-way booking (like search TK awards does).
If you omit the return date, it will instruct you to fill in return date or tick the invisible one-way box.

It didn't return any positive or negative search results. (I only searched one date and route).

I found space with TK award, that yielded technical result in booking. Pop-up literally says "Error - a technical error has occured".
Happened with all different PC browsers.

Tried booking it using mobile app and worked like a charm
Are you saying you managed to book a one-way StarAlliance award online or not? I didn't quite get it....
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
Are you saying you managed to book a one-way StarAlliance award online or not? I didn't quite get it....
sorry for confusion

i meant to say, the search for StarAlliance awards did not work at all for me !!!

and the search for TK awards worked, but the booking still had technical errors - which i got around by using the Mobile app. So possibly that might work for StarAlliance awards ?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:04 pm

Folks, I understand it's not possible to book domestic US award on United with TK miles right now, but when it was (and hopefully eventually will) - where in Turkish award table they would land?

Say, EWR-HNL-EWR in coach on United,

is it

North America to North America - 20.000* miles RT
*Applicable Mile amount for direct flights with Star Alliance member airlines in the same region.

or

Domestic flights*** -15.000 miles RT
***Applicable Mile amount for direct flights with Star Alliance member airlines in the same country.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:50 pm

Hi, does anyone know where is Turkish Airline tickets in Seattle, I searched google and Turkish airline website, even google map. Only got Turkish airlines Cargo office address.

If there is ticket office in Seattle, I guess I can not redeem award ticket for star alliance partner.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by weever
Hi, does anyone know where is Turkish Airline tickets in Seattle, I searched google and Turkish airline website, even google map. Only got Turkish airlines Cargo office address.

If there is ticket office in Seattle, I guess I can not redeem award ticket for star alliance partner.
TK doesn't fly to SEA...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weever

You can email the LA office. They can send you the forms and have you email in your payment info. You don't need to visit a phonecall location.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by monopod
You can email the LA office. They can send you the forms and have you email in your payment info. You don't need to visit a phonecall location.
hmm. Whenever I email them about *A award bookings, I get radio silence.
They are wonderful with ‘normal’ TK issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.