Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by soy
Nope, I can bring up the booking on the Thai site using the TG PNR, but no seat option is showing.
Travelling in business
I suggest you call TG. For me it would be a red flag about the reservation, so I would like to speak with TG directly.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:20 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Sciamano
Strange. I'm even able to do it from on the app (TG).
Maybe you can ask on Thai Forum because I think this has nothing to do with Tk.

Fixed - TG USA were able to do it. Strange that CPH could not, though admittedly I did not have the TG PNR when I reached out to them, just had the ticket numbers
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:08 am

New policy on US domestic awards: none

A phone agent told me that TK has a new policy from within the past 24 hours that US domestic awards can no longer be ticketed.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles
A formal complaint to Star Allialnce is due here. It’s not just “domestic” award, but also any United flight with a domestic leg. That cannot be right.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Has anyone gotten an O Class (first) award issued recently. Im being told system wont issue f/c awards anymore even though you can make a reservation through the call center.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by intltravel90
A phone agent told me that TK has a new policy from within the past 24 hours that US domestic awards can no longer be ticketed.
I was told it was any UA or AC flights - regardless domestic or int'l.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I just got a mixed carrier TK with a UA domestic leg ticketed. So shouldnt be a problem.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Successfully booked an award on TP yesterday. Interestingly, the call center offered to accept payment and ticket over the phone, with the caveat that "the system doesn't work very well, so sometimes we can't issue the ticket and your reservation gets cancelled." I opted to ticket with my local ticketing office instead, but it's definitely a step up that it's even an option to ticket via phone in the first place.
pineapple_juice likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Culture Guru
I have gone through this thread, but do not see any posts talking about booking start awards online on tk website.

I saw a link on my miles transactions page.
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-n...award-tickets/

Does anyone has any experience booking star awards online?
tried to browse it , its work, but i cant select 1way ticket, the selection box is missing
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by HamiduH2
A formal complaint to Star Allialnce is due here. Its not just domestic award, but also any United flight with a domestic leg. That cannot be right.
I filed a US department of transportation complaint during the government shutdown, and remarkably they got the ball rolling today (pretty fast if you ask me, given all they've been through); Turkish has already responded to say that they will reply within the government mandated timeline. I encourage others to do this if you are in the US: https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles
Same here. Same reply.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:02 pm

I cant begin to even think about what turkish has done towards me.
I dont know if we will be let on the plane tomorrow.

Booked a star award ticket with SAS via turkish website. Paid with miles and paid taxes with credit card. Site clearly says that you add an infant after booking.

After booking the "add infant passenger" button doesnt work. Elite Member Call Centre is of no help, call centre says you have to visit a THY "Sales office" for some reason (why cant they fix it over the phone?). I emailed the sales agent "[email protected]" about 25 times. No reply for over a week. Then when they finally replied they simply say "SAS can fix this". Of course SAS says they cant.

The sales office says I have to add the infant with SAS and SAS says I have to add an infant passenger with Turkish.

I am unsure if what I wrote is even clear to you guys, so frustrated right now. Big chance my infant wont be allowed on the plane if check in agent cant add him.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by barhom
The sales office says I have to add the infant with SAS and SAS says I have to add an infant passenger with Turkish.
First, go to the matrix and find out how much an infant ticket for your routing and in the cabin you have booked costs. Then find out the pnr code so that you can look up your reservation on the SK website. At this point call SAS and tell them you want to purchase an infant ticket, they'll tell you you need to buy an adult ticket with it, you tell them you already have the adult ticket and you give them the PNR. They should be able to just sell you the infant ticket. If not, HUACA and hope for a better agent.

I had to do the same with TP and managed so I don't see why SK wouldn't be able to do it.

Once you have all the tickets print them out along with the PNR and go to the airport a bit early in case there are check in problems, but once your party is ticketed and confirmed it's SK's problem.

Good luck!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by barhom
I emailed the sales agent "[email protected]" about 25 times. No reply for over a week.
I had the same experience and they are no better face to face.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mdbe
I just got a mixed carrier TK with a UA domestic leg ticketed. So shouldnt be a problem.
What was the itinerary? I see ORD-IST-ESB business class space, but I'd love to add a DEN-ORD leg the one way. I didn't think this was possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.