Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Just $4 taxes?
Yep. $4.10 CDN to be exact.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I just talked to TK YYZ office again.

They confirmed that "only on AC and UA we are not able to redeem points and issue award tickets but for other star alliance airlines we had no problem".

Not ideal for someone YYZ-based... but at least there are still ways to burn my TK miles.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by ericw
I just talked to TK YYZ office again.

They confirmed that "only on AC and UA we are not able to redeem points and issue award tickets but for other star alliance airlines we had no problem".

Not ideal for someone YYZ-based... but at least there are still ways to burn my TK miles.
If only my miles weren't expired now... and it looks like people were having problems with other carriers too. I tried booking other *A flights out of the US and it wouldn't let me do that either.

I highly recommend everyone who is US-based fill out a air travel complaint form with the Department of Transportation: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm or fill out the equivalent in your country. This is at the point of absurdity.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:12 pm
soy

Programs: various
DP - Set up a reservation about a week ago. Asked them to hold it while I transferred over citi TYP.
That took about 4 days. Then contacted BOS office to ticket. All done very efficiently over email and could use my credit card for taxes. Tickets now issued.

Award is a one way TG-TG in business.

When setting it up heard all sorts of nonsense from the call center. They either could not see the seats, or if they could would claim that they can only issue as 2 separate awards.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
I have gone through this thread, but do not see any posts talking about booking start awards online on tk website.

I saw a link on my miles transactions page.
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-n...award-tickets/

Does anyone has any experience booking star awards online?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
where I can click "one way" ?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:19 am

there is no one-way button i know...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by northernstar84
where I can click "one way" ?
Originally Posted by Culture Guru
there is no one-way button i know...
There is one way button when you open the dates.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by soy

When setting it up heard all sorts of nonsense from the call center. They either could not see the seats, or if they could would claim that they can only issue as 2 separate awards.
Yeah, this is also my experience/very common with the TK call center agents. I tell you, trying to get a stopover at BKK for an award EU-Asia (return) with TG (only TG flights; no other carriers involved)...good luck!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
There is one way button when you open the dates.
I dont think so - at least not for the star award. If you book an award with TK - yes, there is!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:01 am
soy

Anyone know how to get seat assignments for a TK award on Thai?

TK website is useless (no surprise), but when I emailed TG office in CPH, I was surprised to hear that they cannot assign seats either until T-24. It seems they cannot access the TK booking (I provided them with ticket numbers and PNR). I also notice that TK do not allow access via checkmytrip.
Am travelling with small kids so want to get 2x honeymoon pairs on the 77w
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Anyone know how to get seat assignments for a TK award on Thai?

TK website is useless (no surprise), but when I emailed TG office in CPH, I was surprised to hear that they cannot assign seats either until T-24. It seems they cannot access the TK booking (I provided them with ticket numbers and PNR). I also notice that TK do not allow access via checkmytrip.
Am travelling with small kids so want to get 2x honeymoon pairs on the 77w
Can't you select the seats on TG's website? (I suppose you're flying in business)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:41 pm
soy

Originally Posted by Sciamano
Can't you select the seats on TG's website? (I suppose you're flying in business)
Nope, I can bring up the booking on the Thai site using the TG PNR, but no seat option is showing.
Travelling in business
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Nope, I can bring up the booking on the Thai site using the TG PNR, but no seat option is showing.
Travelling in business
Strange. I'm even able to do it from on the app (TG).
Maybe you can ask on Thai Forum because I think this has nothing to do with Tk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.