Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold)
Whenever I try in my membership interface to search/book award tickets, I always get a message there is none available...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Sciamano
Just managed to book (not online and not by phone) CGK-NH-HND-NH-BKK-TG-FCO in business class for 45000 miles.
Found also with 4 legs but hours and aircrafts didn't satisfy me.
What I've learnt is that SQ is almost unavailable, BR the same on longhaul (at least to/from Europe) and NH is available only in the next upcoming weeks (longhaul). I'm exclusively referring to business seats.
How if not online and not by phone?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by -Kris-
How if not online and not by phone?
Ticket office, like many other of us.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sciamano
Just managed to book (not online and not by phone) CGK-NH-HND-NH-BKK-TG-FCO in business class for 45000 miles.
Found also with 4 legs but hours and aircrafts didn't satisfy me.
What I've learnt is that SQ is almost unavailable, BR the same on longhaul (at least to/from Europe) and NH is available only in the next upcoming weeks (longhaul). I'm exclusively referring to business seats.
So they allow mixed carrier now?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by monopod
So they allow mixed carrier now?
Yes
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by silwer
Yeah, really the same experience for me throughout this week. Both offices were really trying their best, and were really sorry for not being able to help. My contacts with the call center however, were bad, no help at all, also told to file a complaint, which I did, they promised me severral times to get back to me before the ticket was cancelled, they did not. The reservation was cancelled, I had to buy an expensive economy ticket, and I'm stuck with 50,000 miles expiring this year. Thank you Turkish.
I am having this exact problem. I have been trying for hours and weeks to book a *A award ticket with my 48,000 miles expiring this year, and they told me to fill out an online form when I asked them to extend the validity. I have no confidence this will happen before the miles will disappear.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Tifosi
I don't have first hand experience but the terms on TK's site state that the fee is $25 US:

I'd love to hear from someone who's actually made changes to their rewards booking.
Yes, I have done this and it is $25. But be careful if you try the $25 recrediting; if the miles would have expired, they will cancel the flight without recrediting and not warn you that's the case (I would've changed dates the time this happened to me).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:22 pm

Turkish Airlines website now has the ability to book Star Alliance awards (directly on the website). I tried to play around with the system and it doesn't work yet, but the framework appears to be in place...so I think this option will be availability sometime in 2019.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:56 am

Star Alliance Upgrade Award using TK miles

I am trying to book a Star Alliance upgrade award using TK miles. TK sends me to this website, says the Callcenter cannot do it: https://muaenduser.staralliance.com/StarMUA/StartPage.do?language=en&airline=tk&userType=Norma l&testremarks=false

Flight is NH0204 FRA-HND in Eco+ (E). Should be possible. See below screenprints, I get to the second step (availability seems ok), then error message 564.
Any idea how to proceed? TK ticket office? Startalliance Callcenter?

Last edited by gizmoo; Dec 24, 2018 at 5:03 am Reason: pictures not attached
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:22 pm

how is LH F or BR C availability on TK? thinking of redeeming for these two products. Am open to flying from CDG/BRU/FRA/MUC.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles
I also tried two local offices and was told that ever since the “upgrade” they are unable to issue Star Alliance tickets on UA or AC.

After trying to pay the taxes for an award flight on UA for over a week, I finally got this message from the notorious Customer Relations back office:

“Due to technical restrictions award tickets with flights operated by United Airlines and Air Canada for domestic routes cannot be issued. Related departments are working for solution regarding this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and kindly submitted for your information.”
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HamiduH2
I also tried two local offices and was told that ever since the “upgrade” they are unable to issue Star Alliance tickets on UA or AC.

After trying to pay the taxes for an award flight on UA for over a week, I finally got this message from the notorious Customer Relations back office:

“Due to technical restrictions award tickets with flights operated by United Airlines and Air Canada for domestic routes cannot be issued. Related departments are working for solution regarding this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and kindly submitted for your information.”
I have the same issue with booking a UA domestic award ticket, with miles expiring this year. Told to fill out the online form but nothing back from them yet.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:01 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
Turkish Airlines website now has the ability to book Star Alliance awards (directly on the website). I tried to play around with the system and it doesn't work yet, but the framework appears to be in place...so I think this option will be availability sometime in 2019.
Tried this, and it seems there is a way to go yet.
Only allows Round Trip searches and then does not find pretty basic routes that are showing open on UA/AC (SK-TG trip). Also where UA shows a route with mixed inventory (Y feeder, J longhaul), TK website only shows the Y price, no option to select the mixed class (at J prices).

I did not attempt to go beyond the pricing page as not enough miles in my a/c, so not sure if it would actually issue a *A award ticket
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by onemoretrip
I have the same issue with booking a UA domestic award ticket, with miles expiring this year. Told to fill out the online form but nothing back from them yet.
try to go to a local ticketing office
divB likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:25 pm
soy

Programs: various
How long to Citi TYP take to transfer and how long can they hold an award ?
Want to book a SK/TG one way biz award, but do not want to transfer in top-up points, only to find they cannot get me the seats / seats are gone

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.