Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sciamano
Was it on TK metal or partner? Did you change only the dates or also the routing (always with same miles amount)? In the latter case and with higher taxes, did you pay the new whole amount and TK refund the original amount or you were simply asked to pay the difference?
This was on partner (UA) and it was a change of date and class. Tax increased because of UA close-in booking fee and I had to pay the new whole amount and TK refunded the original.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by monopod
This was on partner (UA) and it was a change of date and class. Tax increased because of UA close-in booking fee and I had to pay the new whole amount and TK refunded the original.
But the routing was exactly the same?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sciamano
But the routing was exactly the same?
Same routing, yes. But it was processed as a new ticket and a cancellation of the old one.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Maux
If i remember well, LH doesn't permit to book award F out of Miles&More
warlier this year I bought LH F with TK miles. They just don’t release space until 14 days before departure
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Turkish M&S; Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by silwer
Anyone else having this problem right now?

I've made a reservation for FRA-BLR in LH F for Dec 5. No problems at the call center at first. Then at the ticket office when I was about to pay the taxes they tried, for hours, to issue the ticket. Not working. I've visited both the Stockholm and Brussels office, same result. They simply can't deduct the miles from my account in order to issue the ticket. They blame this on the "upgrade" of the Miles & Smiles system last week (when it was down for a couple of days). Have been trying to issue the ticket almost a week now. Haven't really got a clue how to proceed.

Has anyone managed to complete a Star Alliace award booking with Miles & Smiles after the system was down last week? If so, how, and at which ticket office?
I have the same problem. I spent a week following up with the Toronto office for a Air Canada reward ticket. They could not sort it out and after a week they could not hold the ticket with AC any longer and I lost the reward ticket. Now I lost the ticket, though no fault of my own and entirely on Turkish failure. Now I am stuck with 12000 status miles that will expire this year, and have to spend $880 CAD to purchase a ticket (because I wasted a whole week waiting for Turkish system to work!) that I could have redeemed with just 25000 miles and less than $100 fee.

What I experienced is basically Turkish refusing to issue reward tickets from other star alliance airlines because of its system failure.

The local Toronto staff were super apologetic and trying to be helpful, but basically said there is nothing they can do, and head office was not fixing the problem, and direct me to file a complaint online.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Star tickets not bookable for more than a week

Originally Posted by boywonderto
I have the same problem. I spent a week following up with the Toronto office for a Air Canada reward ticket. They could not sort it out and after a week they could not hold the ticket with AC any longer and I lost the reward ticket. Now I lost the ticket, though no fault of my own and entirely on Turkish failure. Now I am stuck with 12000 status miles that will expire this year, and have to spend $880 CAD to purchase a ticket (because I wasted a whole week waiting for Turkish system to work!) that I could have redeemed with just 25000 miles and less than $100 fee.

What I experienced is basically Turkish refusing to issue reward tickets from other star alliance airlines because of its system failure.

The local Toronto staff were super apologetic and trying to be helpful, but basically said there is nothing they can do, and head office was not fixing the problem, and direct me to file a complaint online.
same in NY office, trying to book LH award and they say they can’t book any star alliance tickets at all. Tried them on social media and they don’t understand simple language and just keep referring to the local office. Catch 22 and is completely ridiculous for a major airline that is supposedly a part of Star. Just really silly

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by asnovici

same in NY office, trying to book LH award and they say they can’t book any star alliance tickets at all. Tried them on social media and they don’t understand simple language and just keep referring to the local office. Catch 22 and is completely ridiculous for a major airline that is supposedly a part of Star. Just really silly

Originally Posted by boywonderto

Yeah, really the same experience for me throughout this week. Both offices were really trying their best, and were really sorry for not being able to help. My contacts with the call center however, were bad, no help at all, also told to file a complaint, which I did, they promised me severral times to get back to me before the ticket was cancelled, they did not. The reservation was cancelled, I had to buy an expensive economy ticket, and I'm stuck with 50,000 miles expiring this year. Thank you Turkish.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Looks like the issue still isn't resolved. I booked an award with AC flights through the call centre yesterday. I sent an email to the Toronto ticket office to have it ticketed and received the following response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. As per your request, unfortunately due to a system maintenance, we are not able to issue AC award tickets. You can open up a file through bellow link and share your request with our Customer Relation Department;

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-c...mer-relations/"

I sent a message through the link but haven't heard back yet. I'm not optimistic. Not sure what my options are for the 22,000 miles I have expiring this month if I can't book any AC flights.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Turkish M&S; Air Canada Aeroplan
I have filed a complaint well over a week ago (about inability of their Toronto office to issue AC award ticket, forcing me to purchase an expensive ticket because I waited on them for well over a week, and now stuck with thousands of miles to be expired by end of year). Have not have any response beyond the auto-acknowledgement.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:55 pm

Has anyone heard any updates on booking AC award tickets? I sent a message to TK 11 days ago but I haven't heard back. I have 22,000 miles expiring in 13 days. If I can't book an award with them then my other options are to pay to extend their life or to let them expire. If this issue lasts indefinitely then maybe letting them expire is the best option...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Has anyone heard any updates on booking AC award tickets? I sent a message to TK 11 days ago but I haven't heard back. I have 22,000 miles expiring in 13 days. If I can't book an award with them then my other options are to pay to extend their life or to let them expire. If this issue lasts indefinitely then maybe letting them expire is the best option...
I've had good success with the Sydney, Australia sales office. They were super-helpful and did it all via email. They also answer the phone!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I've had good success with the Sydney, Australia sales office. They were super-helpful and did it all via email. They also answer the phone!
They’ve been able to book AC award flights since the outage last month?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Tifosi

They’ve been able to book AC award flights since the outage last month?
I don't know, but they've successfully booked SQ flights for me in the past and were very helpful. Definitely worth a phone call or email. Their contact details are on the TK site.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I don't know, but they've successfully booked SQ flights for me in the past and were very helpful. Definitely worth a phone call or email. Their contact details are on the TK site.
Oh, ok. I was specifically wondering about the issue with AC flights that TK hasn’t been able to ticket, as discussed in the last few posts in this thread.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:14 am

Just managed to book (not online and not by phone) CGK-NH-HND-NH-BKK-TG-FCO in business class for 45000 miles.
Found also with 4 legs but hours and aircrafts didn't satisfy me.
What I've learnt is that SQ is almost unavailable, BR the same on longhaul (at least to/from Europe) and NH is available only in the next upcoming weeks (longhaul). I'm exclusively referring to business seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.