Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Two awards. Book HND-FRA in F and purchase FRA-PRG in Y because it is cheap and short flight. Then call to LH F line and ask combine the tickets. That is what I did.
that’s a fantastic tip, should work for all the LH feeder flights to FRA!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

that’s a fantastic tip, should work for all the LH feeder flights to FRA!
When landed at FRA to connect F the car was waiting at the Apron and took to terminal. Without combining the tickets you will get the bus ride when parking at field.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Booked an F class ticket on LH FRA-KWI last week. Called the tollfree number and was told no f class but when I told her to search for O class, she was able to book it, and took 35,500 miles from my account. The confirmation email says it was in economy class though. Arrived at IST airport an hour later and the sales dept was not sure if it was in F class because she couldn´t see it but when I told her I redeemed 35,500 miles which is for F class, she said it was ok. Paid 1,171.17 Turkish Lira for taxes and surcharge. All in all, it was a smooth process
That is the TK IT. Even my current partner airline J flight shows economy on TK website but BR website shows business and seats were selected to business as it should be.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
any idea what is the charges for Star Alliance rewards dates change?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by yauee
any idea what is the charges for Star Alliance rewards dates change?
I don't have first hand experience but the terms on TK's site state that the fee is $25 US:

Originally Posted by https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-gb/miles-and-smiles/awards/index.html
TRY 50 is collected in domestic flights and USD 25 is collected in international flights per transaction.
I'd love to hear from someone who's actually made changes to their rewards booking.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tifosi
I don't have first hand experience but the terms on TK's site state that the fee is $25 US:

I'd love to hear from someone who's actually made changes to their rewards booking.
I haven´t done a change myself but the 25USD change fee is what the agent told me when I booked my LH award last week.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:20 am

Did anyone experience miles credit (10k Elite/15k Elite plus) by redeeming a artner award through phone or ticket office? Through the new online page it's possible.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tifosi

I have changed a ticket before. $25 fee applies.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:32 pm

Problems issuing Star Alliance award ticket with Miles & Smiles

Anyone else having this problem right now?

I've made a reservation for FRA-BLR in LH F for Dec 5. No problems at the call center at first. Then at the ticket office when I was about to pay the taxes they tried, for hours, to issue the ticket. Not working. I've visited both the Stockholm and Brussels office, same result. They simply can't deduct the miles from my account in order to issue the ticket. They blame this on the "upgrade" of the Miles & Smiles system last week (when it was down for a couple of days). Have been trying to issue the ticket almost a week now. Haven't really got a clue how to proceed.

Has anyone managed to complete a Star Alliace award booking with Miles & Smiles after the system was down last week? If so, how, and at which ticket office?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: TK*G
If i remember well, LH doesn't permit to book award F out of Miles&More
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by monopod
I have changed a ticket before. $25 fee applies.
Was it on TK metal or partner? Did you change only the dates or also the routing (always with same miles amount)? In the latter case and with higher taxes, did you pay the new whole amount and TK refund the original amount or you were simply asked to pay the difference?

Last edited by Sciamano; Nov 27, 2018 at 2:52 am Reason: partner award
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: TK*G
What about if, booking award ticket with technical stop, i get off and skip the second leg?
I ask it because i've seen months ago an itinerary with less miles and taxes needed
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Maux
What about if, booking award ticket with technical stop, i get off and skip the second leg?
I ask it because i've seen months ago an itinerary with less miles and taxes needed
This is immaterial to a TK award, but it might be a bad idea for immigration purposes, because the onward flight might be blocked until the passenger count matches the manifest, and of course it would be impossible with checked luggage.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by malmostoso
This is immaterial to a TK award, but it might be a bad idea for immigration purposes, because the onward flight might be blocked until the passenger count matches the manifest, and of course it would be impossible with checked luggage.
I would "become ill" or something and inform cabin crew. Sneaking off the airplane could indeed result in some unpleasant consequences and make you very unpopular with the airline.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
If i remember well, LH doesn't permit to book award F out of Miles&More
It’s definitely possible to book LH F using TK M&S (see the *A Award booking thread), but inventory is very hard to come by and calculating taxes/fees can be a challenge for TK agents.
From what OP writes, there is now a (hopefully temporary) roadblock that they can’t deduct the required miles because of the IT update.

Hope they manage to sort you out, OP, it’s a fun experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.