Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Sorry for not reading all 18 pages through. Can someone help me understand if these Turkish award charts are the costs in miles for a OW or RT trip upgrade?
OW.
For TK upgrade you need J class availability from any class (except maybe U).
For *A upgrade you need usually a B/Y class ticket.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by flyerby

OW.
For TK upgrade you need J class availability from any class (except maybe U).
For *A upgrade you need usually a B/Y class ticket.
Excellent, thank you. But then the Award Ticket list (Shown below) is RT pricing, correct? (Meaning upgrade Y to J one way is same price (26,500) as a business award ticket one way from EU2 to Central Africa).

Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Excellent, thank you. But then the Award Ticket list (Shown below) is RT pricing, correct? (Meaning upgrade Y to J one way is same price (26,500) as a business award ticket one way from EU2 to Central Africa).
Yeah, it makes no sense, but yes.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by monopod
Yeah, it makes no sense, but yes.
it makes more sense when you consider that there are more availability of J class than I class.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by flyerby

it makes more sense when you consider that there are more availability of J class than I class.
Check out this thread for more info: Upgrade or Purchase An Award Ticket
Goaguy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Can the Toronto office handle UA bookings for US/Mexico travel using TK miles? Are there any offices that can do this over the phone? I live nowhere near the nearest TK office.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: TK*G
They probably can. I've used them for a LAX-YYZ booking on AC, and they seemed familiar with the procedure. You should first reserve the ticket from the call center though.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Mixing classes

Has anyone had any luck booking an itiernary with mixed classes? I want to fly LH F HEL-FRA-XXX and it just feels silly that I have to book the feeder leg HEL-FRA separately just because of this rule. Please feel free to send me a private message if you don't want to post here.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Has anyone had any luck booking an itiernary with mixed classes? I want to fly LH F HEL-FRA-XXX and it just feels silly that I have to book the feeder leg HEL-FRA separately just because of this rule. Please feel free to send me a private message if you don't want to post here.
I’m wondering the same thing: afaik, technically you can’t, but I’ve found LH feeder flights that obviously don’t have F, yet still show O award availability.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: TK E+
I have booked rt PRG-FRA (LH C) to HND (NH F) as one award.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zennie
what was the mileage cost?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:21 pm

135k.

I have shared my experience before in this thread (but since the forum prevents me from inserting an URL to this post, you have to look it up yourselves, sorry. Posted on 26 Nov 2017).
Gnopps likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
135k.

I have shared my experience before in this thread (but since the forum prevents me from inserting an URL to this post, you have to look it up yourselves, sorry. Posted on 26 Nov 2017).
mom! That’s impressive!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP

How did you manage to do that as TK does not allow to mix carriers on an award ticket?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:10 am

See my post that I referred to above, I have shared my experience there. Anyway, I asked the office about F award to TYO, suggested a few options and preferred carriers and they offered this one.

The same office refuses to upgrade whole direction (two segments) using E+ voucher. That is a different story but suggests that the rules are explained in different ways by different offices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.