Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by raji
Dear ISTFlyer please advise where to find I fare availability , as i need to book on Star Alliance partner , using TK M & S. Thank You.
There are several methods. Perhaps the easiest is on the TK website. After you login select Miles Transactions then

Star Alliance award ticket

Fly with Star Alliance member airlines using your Miles.

Book now

Then call a local sales office to complete the transaction.

You can also use Expert Flyer (free trial gives you access for a few days)

This site (Award Nexus) is free for a certain number of searches but it's slow. It uses other award sites and helped me find a few hard to get seats:

https://awardnexus.com/

None of these methods is perfect. TK agents can see other flights options, and sometimes they can't book the options you can see. But, particularly the TK website, will get you off to a good start.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Originally Posted by sydunipete
There are several methods. Perhaps the easiest is on the TK website. After you login select Miles Transactions then

Star Alliance award ticket

Fly with Star Alliance member airlines using your Miles.

Book now

Then call a local sales office to complete the transaction.

You can also use Expert Flyer (free trial gives you access for a few days)

This site (Award Nexus) is free for a certain number of searches but it's slow. It uses other award sites and helped me find a few hard to get seats:

https://awardnexus.com/

None of these methods is perfect. TK agents can see other flights options, and sometimes they can't book the options you can see. But, particularly the TK website, will get you off to a good start.
Thank you .
I tried on TK website .... redeem miles on Star Alliance partner. I do not find availability for award ticket, but If i go on United Airlines website ... redeem awards on star alliance I find availability in I class. Does it mean that same award booking should be available on Turkish website but their website does not show it. Please clarify this issue & advise how to proceed.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:07 am

Thank you .
I tried on TK website .... redeem miles on Star Alliance partner. I do not find availability for award ticket, but If i go on United Airlines website ... redeem awards on star alliance I find availability in I class. Does it mean that same award booking should be available on Turkish website but their website does not show it. Please clarify this issue & advise how to proceed.
Try the call centre, otherwise you'll need to speak to a ticket office. If you can't go in person then you may have some success asking a ticket office just to make the reservation and then call the call center to calculate the taxes and issue the ticket
raji likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Try the call centre, otherwise you'll need to speak to a ticket office. If you can't go in person then you may have some success asking a ticket office just to make the reservation and then call the call center to calculate the taxes and issue the ticket
This is correct. Sometimes the call centre or a local sales office can see fares that aren't showing on the TK website. So it is worth a try. Good luck.
raji likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:39 pm

Has anyone ever had a United flight put on hold by Turkish but then could not complete the miles transaction? Flight that is 6 months out was put on hold yesterday and I tried paying for it today. They can deduct the taxes but are unable to deduct the miles. Tried calling back 3 times and everybody gets the same error message. I can pull up the flight on United so it appears to still be on hold. Not sure what to do next other than trying to create a new itinerary. Unfortunately X space is no longer available when searching today.

Edit: Finally got it booked. Had to call to cancel the itinerary and then call again a few times when the inventory came available to rebook.

Last edited by thatguy47; May 17, 2022 at 8:43 pm
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Tried to book an Air Canada ticket via Miles and Smiles.
Got to the payment page and got...

Dear passenger,

The ticketing approval for the fare class you selected in your travel plan could not be obtained from our contracted airline. We apologize for this inconvenience, which is unfortunately beyond our control.

You can change your flight selection and try again.

Anyone have a way around this one? Quite frustrating.
Seems to be any Air Canada flight.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by mrkymark

Anyone have a way around this one?
​​​​​…..
The *A award ticketing on TK website is broken. Contact TK call center or sales office.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:11 am

I've been booking / amending a few tickets lately, not a lot has changed. Website for me doesn't show the availability I need so not sure if it would allow you to ticket it or not. But if ua.com shows it segment by segment then TK can ticket it . The easiest way is to deal with a ticket office but unless you can go in person it's very YMMV, even with one that you've previously dealt with. Previously I had one ticket office that'd make any reservation I wanted and I just called in to ticket it but lately they're slow to reply. Most other ticket offices say you need to speak to the ticket office at origin/destination but they never get back to me on my regular route.

But I've found lately if you call roughly during Turkey working hours then you can find an agent who'll do it for you. If they say they can't find the availability just HUACA a couple of times until you get someone. Calling at night time I can never find anyone to do it.

I did manage to amend a ticket a couple of months ago - the ticket office added the new segment into the reservation. The call center then recalculated the taxes and sent it to ticketing and they called me back about 24hrs later for the payment. But this time they just couldn't process the payment at the call center despite calling many times.

I'd previously been told the miles in the ticket were expired but I went back and calculated myself and that was incorrect so went the refund/rebook route. Had to get a ticket office to refund the miles (call center couldn't do it) but emailed a bunch of offices and managed to get one to do it remotely via bank transfers.

I have enough miles left for one more ticket which would likely be on TK metal and then I don't see my travel plans for upcoming couple of years needing *A except Singapore Airlines which I'll need Krisflyer for - rather a relief
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:56 pm

may i ask , i had redeemed TK mile on ewr-ist-sin on tk operated flight, can i change it to JFK-tpe-sin BR operated flight ? or i need to cancel and make a new booking?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Lbs890213
may i ask , i had redeemed TK mile on ewr-ist-sin on tk operated flight, can i change it to JFK-tpe-sin BR operated flight ? or i need to cancel and make a new booking?
Normal cancellation or changing is the same cost at $25. If you had a schedule change of more than 15 mins, you’ll be allowed to change or cancel for free. If you make changes during TK free change initiative, you may also be allowed to make changes for free. Taxes collected by TK on other *A carriers are usually less than in TK flights, so you probably get some money back. Theoretically, I think that you are eligible for a change in your itinerary on the same PNR but even so good luck in being able to find an agent that is capable enough to execute it.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I think the OP asks if he/she can avoid cancelling the ticket/booking a Star Alliance award from scratch; most likely due to miles having experied by now; hence, rebooking is preferred.

I doubt a TK agent will be able to/capable of rebooking a TK award into Star Alliance award, i.e. agent is likely to insist that the TK award is cancelled. It might be better to talk the local sales/ticket office about this.

Did you check if there is award availability for the BR flights? That is a precondition for making such rebooking.

Is there any specific reason that you want to fly BR rather than TK to TPE? Unless there is good reason for the change (other than BR is better carrier than TK) I would stick to the TK ticket as it is; far too complicated and time consuming to rebook now.
flyerby likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
I Need Business class Award seats on Star Alliance Partner using Miles & Smiles for DEL-OPO. I find I class availability on United website & also on ExpertFlyer for flights on AI connecting with LH. Also Find availability on LO connecting with LO & LH. I tried HUCA 10-15 times but no availability in same flight. Finally I went to Local Office in Delhi NCR but they are also not available on their end. Please advise how to proceed. Thank You.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:06 pm

Try to check availability on NH and AC websites too.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I Need Business class Award seats on Star Alliance Partner using Miles & Smiles for DEL-OPO. I find I class availability on United website & also on ExpertFlyer for flights on AI connecting with LH. Also Find availability on LO connecting with LO & LH. I tried HUCA 10-15 times but no availability in same flight. Finally I went to Local Office in Delhi NCR but they are also not available on their end. Please advise how to proceed. Thank You.
Flights out of India have been fully booked in biz (revenue)...but demand is easing...

Monitor flights that show seats available of the seatmap for the particular flight you might want to take in business class and LH might open awards last-minute - that's seen by me many times - and have managed to grab LH biz seats T-24 for my family members... (With LH miles, note)

(Not sure about LO - they appear to be a totally different animal with regard to revenue management - and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how they release awards!)

Oh - and if you're trying to use TK miles for use on LH - that's going to be one of the hardest methods to use...

Air Canada/United/LifeMiles seem to be the best bets, but I have actually managed to ticket a LO biz flight ex-WAW with TK miles. Had to cancel, but it was a bit cumbersome to ticket - had to call in...
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:40 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by flyerby
Try to check availability on NH and AC websites too.
I tried on NH & AC ... award seats not available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.