Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Called their hotline but says it is too busy and auto-hangs up. Any idea how long this has been going on? Planning to book awards on UA metal
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:53 pm

I found X saver space on united. also checked on avianca and see it too. Called turkish like 10x now, they do not see any space. Is it the agents......!? or does Turkish really do not see the space.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I found X saver space on united. also checked on avianca and see it too. Called turkish like 10x now, they do not see any space. Is it the agents......!? or does Turkish really do not see the space.
Are you looking for one specific flight or a married combination of multiple flights?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Are you looking for one specific flight or a married combination of multiple flights?
i'm looking for a specific route, but there is no non-stop route. is this the problem? I mean both segments show up in UA and LM. Both X fares in UA.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
i'm looking for a specific route, but there is no non-stop route. is this the problem? I mean both segments show up in UA and LM. Both X fares in UA.
If you are searching for XXX-YYY via ZZZ, there must be individual "X" fare availability on XXX-ZZZ and ZZZ-YYY so that you could book that award with Turkish Miles&Smiles.
Otherwise, Turkish Airlines would be unable to access married segment availability that United and Avianca offers you.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:08 pm

If you are searching for XXX-YYY via ZZZ, there must be individual "X" fare availability on XXX-ZZZ and ZZZ-YYY so that you could book that award with Turkish Miles&Smiles.
Otherwise, Turkish Airlines would be unable to access married segment availability that United and Avianca offers you.
just took a look. each individal segments is available as X fare as well.
Should I tell Turkish to look for a connection flight via ZZZ? Any idea how they are searching and what they are looking at when they search on their systems?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just took a look. each individal segments is available as X fare as well.
Should I tell Turkish to look for a connection flight via ZZZ? Any idea how they are searching and what they are looking at when they search on their systems?
Call TK and list the flights one by one rather than telling the whole itinerary at the same time.
It would be easier for them to understand in that case.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:55 pm

Call TK and list the flights one by one rather than telling the whole itinerary at the same time.
It would be easier for them to understand in that case.
thanks! you the real mvp. still took a couple more calls but found an agent that was able to see it and book it!!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Turkish law says that all schedule changes over 16 minutes are counted as involuntary and a full refund, a free change, and flexibility must be provided to the passenger. This applies for all flights on Turkish carriers and all flights departing from Turkey. In these cases, TK has no right to auto-revalidate the ticket without the passengers consent.

Usually in cases where the ticket is not reissued, at check-in, you are directed to the sales counter so that a ticketing agent could re-issue your ticket but if this is a partner award, TK would not touch the ticket and ask you to contact the issuing carrier of the ticket unless it's a cancellation/schedule change that was made on the date of travel.
Having a scenario
- Tickets issued on 31/12/2021 for May 2022
- Miles expired 31/12/2021
- Flight change 20 min late departing Turkey, potential miss connection on separate ticket.

if not willing to accept the involuntary changes, any other possible option? (no other flight option)
Old May 11, 2022, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by yauee
Having a scenario
- Flight change 20 min late departing Turkey, potential miss connection on separate ticket.

if not willing to accept the involuntary changes, any other possible option? (no other flight option)
Rebook to another origin/destination within same zone, to another flight or date, or ask the ticket to be put on hold for later invol rebooking. If you cancel the miles will be lost.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 11, 2022 at 11:21 pm
Old May 13, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Please advise ... I have TK miles & I need to book DEL-OPO on star alliance partner. I do not find Online availability while using Turkish Airlines website ... redeeming TK miles on Star alliance partner. But If I search on UA website I find Flights with I class available on Swiss Airlines metal.I called up TK customer care ... He did not find availability although I gave him Segment wise status.
Please advise how to proceed.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by raji
Please advise ... I have TK miles & I need to book DEL-OPO on star alliance partner. I do not find Online availability while using Turkish Airlines website ... redeeming TK miles on Star alliance partner. But If I search on UA website I find Flights with I class available on Swiss Airlines metal.I called up TK customer care ... He did not find availability although I gave him Segment wise status.
Please advise how to proceed.
If availability is DEL-OPO as one trip, call again and ask to restart the system when it is still not available, that helped me few times in similar situation. If that does not help, find the time to visit TK sales office in New Delhi. Sales office employees are more qualified than call center personnel and they can directly contact HQ to solve the issues.
Old May 14, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Originally Posted by Jaenks
If availability is DEL-OPO as one trip, call again and ask to restart the system when it is still not available, that helped me few times in similar situation. If that does not help, find the time to visit TK sales office in New Delhi. Sales office employees are more qualified than call center personnel and they can directly contact HQ to solve the issues.
Thank You Jaenks.
Old May 14, 2022, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yauee
Having a scenario

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Rebook to another origin/destination within same zone, to another flight or date, or ask the ticket to be put on hold for later invol rebooking. If you cancel the miles will be lost.
First, TK would do nothing about your separate connection at your final destination, that is your own problem to solve.
Although as SK AAR mentioned, you would have the flexibility for TK to change the origin/destination or the date although a schedule change would have less flexibility compared to a cancellation.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:04 am

Yes, you would need "I" fare availability for Business/Domestic First award availability when booking with TK M&S.
Dear ISTFlyer please advise where to find I fare availability , as i need to book on Star Alliance partner , using TK M & S. Thank You.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.