Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sammyg901
Wiki Link
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 22, 12:57 am

I think YYZ (Toronto) is finally fixed??!
Old Mar 20, 22, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Just to understand correctly, did you have UA or TK miles to book award ticket?
Well, if booking through UA, literally by definition you'd have to be using UA miles.

Regards
Old Mar 20, 22, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Originally Posted by zig2 View Post
I just booked a Turkish award ticket for 2 on United on phone. But the ticket is quite strange.

First of all, I couldn't pull out the ticket with the Turkish PNR, which was OK in the past. So I asked both TK and UA about it. Finally UA was able to find the United PNR. But the United PNR doesn't work either.

As an alternative, I suggested to update my wife's FFP on the ticket to UA FFP on the ticket. It works and the flight showed up on United.com. But when I tried to click on that, it shows the same error as the same in the past of "Your confirmation number, a 6 character alphanumeric code, and/or last name is not valid."

I have no idea what happened and we just wanted to use my wife's status on UA to get free bags.
I've been having a similar issue where I'm unable to pull up any of my reservations on the United side for the past few weeks, even those that previously worked. There must be some disconnect between the two systems.
Old Mar 20, 22, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Well, if booking through UA, literally by definition you'd have to be using UA miles.

Regards
So you booked a UA flight with TK miles by calling TK customer service?
Old Mar 20, 22, 1:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by islandguy84 View Post
I've been having a similar issue where I'm unable to pull up any of my reservations on the United side for the past few weeks, even those that previously worked. There must be some disconnect between the two systems.
Yes, it has been reported several times in various threads in this forum. Out of sync, so most likely nothing to worry about. Give it some time to get fixed
Old Mar 20, 22, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
So you booked a UA flight with TK miles by calling TK customer service?
Yes, and I suppose that's the only working way if the visit to the TK office is not easy?
Old Mar 20, 22, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Yes, it has been reported several times in various threads in this forum. Out of sync, so most likely nothing to worry about. Give it some time to get fixed
Thanks.
I also confirmed with the UA Twitter team, and here is the reply.

We also confirmed that you have your correct ticket number. Since this was booked using award on other airlines, it may not be available in http://united.com due to possible system issue as well as the seat assignments, but reassured that your reservation is active and good to go. We'll forward this to the appropriate team to further check. You may try assigning your seats later or closer to your travel date. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Old Mar 21, 22, 3:58 am

Booking Air India with Turkish Miles

My father was supposed to travel on Air India flight from New York JFK to Mumbai via Delhi on March 20, 2022. The ticket was booked and confirmed with Turkish Airlines call center and miles were deducted from my Turkish airlines Miles&Smiles account. The additional taxes and fees were charged to a credit card and I received a confirmation number with Turkish airlines and also ticket number. A few days before departure, I called Turkish to get the Air India confirmation number and the agent confirmed the itinerary. Subsequently, I called Air India and did seat selection and meal preferences on the phone since I couldn't do it online. When my father reached the airport on March 20th, the Air India agent was unable to pull up the reservation details and hence my father couldn't be checked in and was left stranded at the airport. The Air India agent contacted local Turkish airlines office at JFK and they couldn't provide any information. I called Turkish airlines call center and after extensive discussion was informed that the ticket had been involuntarily cancelled. They were unable to provide me any reason whatsoever for the cancellation since the flight was operational. Turkish airlines had not communicated any such cancellation via email or otherwise in the days prior to departure. We got this information only when my father reached JFK and airline agent couldn't check him in. I have been given a runaround to get the full refund by Turkish agents. One of the agents even asked me to pay a redeposit fee for a no show but after I argued she stated that I should submit feedback and response will be within 7 days. But looking at some of the posts, the feedback department doesn't seem to be very helpful. I already had to pay a cash ticket for my father to travel on the same day and really shouldn't be paying any money to Turkish for getting my miles back. Is there a time limit after departure to get the miles back in case the feedback department doesn't help and the only option is to pay that no show fee ? Are there any suggestions for next course of action ?
Old Mar 21, 22, 6:53 am

No UA Flights through Tk

Good morning - I’m trying to book a UA flight through TK with my Miles&Smiles from CLT to HNL in July (flexible dates). Every time I try to book, I get a message saying no flights found. I can even change the cities and dates and still get the no flights found message. UA said they can’t help and to call TK. The TK agent looked on the system and couldn’t find any flights from CLT to HNL in June, July, or August. I asked him how am I supposed to use my miles if there aren’t any flights. He just said “sorry”. Any advice or guidance?

Last edited by EconTigerOrange; Mar 21, 22 at 8:33 am
Old Mar 21, 22, 8:29 am

Welcome to FT!

There is nothing you can do now. It is quite normal for TK M&S to limit accesability to award inventory in high season; at least for TK flights. It may also be that UA has made no award seats available for the dates you are looking at. Your best chance is to wait and hope that award inventory will become available later - but there is no guarantee.

P.S. Please use TK rather TA for Turkish Airlines. TA will misinterpreted as refering to travel agent.
Old Mar 21, 22, 8:37 am

Welcome to FT!

You should submit a feedback to TK and hopefully it will be resolved this way, i.e. you will get your miles and taxes back. There is no reason to discuss this with call center agents as they have no authority to solve it. You could try to connect to your local ticket office for assistance, but for now just submit your feedback on the TK webpage and you will get a reply within reasonable time (it usually takes fore than a week as there is no urgency for your request, so be patient)

There is no time limit (except maybe 1-2 years) for cancelling the ticket.
DaveS likes this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 8:38 am

Welcome to FT!

There is nothing you can do now. It is quite normal for TK M&S to limit accesability to award inventory in high season; at least for TK flights. It may also be that UA has made no award seats available for the dates you are looking at. Your best chance is to wait and hope that award inventory will become available later - but there is no guarantee.

P.S. Please use TK rather TA for Turkish Airlines. TA will misinterpreted as refering to travel agent.
Appreciate the guidance and tip on the abbreviations! I edited my original post. When you say that UA may not have made any award seats available, does that mean that even though UA’s website shows award availability they may not have made them available to TK?
Old Mar 21, 22, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by EconTigerOrange View Post
When you say that UA may not have made any award seats available, does that mean that even though UA’s website shows award availability they may not have made them available to TK?
yes, that is possible/very likely that UA makes award seats available to their own FFP but not partners - that is very common. But I have no first hand experience with UA and you should post your Q in the UA forum for more acurate answer.
Old Mar 21, 22, 9:27 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Yes, the feedback form is the way to go. It has a good success rate for me. It is certainly more effective that phoning.
Old Mar 21, 22, 9:39 am

yes, that is possible/very likely that UA makes award seats available to their own FFP but not partners - that is very common. But I have no first hand experience with UA and you should post your Q in the UA forum for more acurate answer.
Thanks again for your help! You’ve helped me much more than UA and TK customer service!

Search this Thread