Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sammyg901
Wiki Link
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 21, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travels007 View Post
The agent suggested I call United airlines to book using my Turkish airlines miles, which doesn't seem like it would work.
TK agents do make me laugh!
htran88 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 21, 10:06 am

Any luck on AC?

Also doing the last minute scramble and can find flights, but once I try to finalize transaction says flight fare not actually available.

This for flights that would be AC (within Canada). Wondering if anyone has had any luck with booking star alliance award through the TK site. Note I also tried some other options that seem to work, but again, once you get to the final button it says not actually available.

Any thoughts/help appreciated!
Old Dec 31, 21, 10:36 am

I was finally able to book a United Airlines flight using the call center after calling multiple times and issues with processing payment.

The first two either could not find it or said they couldn’t see the seat availability. The third one was able to find the United Airlines flight when I told her the origin and destination and created a reservation code. When it got time to credit card payment to pay the taxes in lira over the phone, the first attempt did not work but the second attempt luckily did. However this third agent tried to process the miles deduction and was not able to after attempting about 4 times for me to enter my pin. She told me to call again to try to process the miles payment. I called a 4th agent and she trouble processing the miles payment also but she said let me try something else and whatever she did finally worked.

It may take many calls and hours of time to do this! I must have been on the phone for a few hours.

Hope this helps anyone who is still trying to use their miles in the last few hours.
Old Jan 9, 22, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, AC, BA, UA, Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by unionsquare View Post
Also doing the last minute scramble and can find flights, but once I try to finalize transaction says flight fare not actually available.

This for flights that would be AC (within Canada). Wondering if anyone has had any luck with booking star alliance award through the TK site. Note I also tried some other options that seem to work, but again, once you get to the final button it says not actually available.

Any thoughts/help appreciated!
I also got the error on the website when trying to book AC flights with Miles & Smiles on the Turkish website, so called the 24/7 reservation line. The agent said he was getting the same error and it was asking him to contact IT. Although it felt like he was trying to brush me off, I said, "so, can we contact IT?" After being on hold for a little bit, somehow everything worked out and he processed my payment and got the tickets issued. So keep at it if you're still trying.

Funny they are, but kudos to any airline who will pick up the phone during a pandemic. No wait time on my last two calls
Old Jan 10, 22, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
I have a question regarding the Turkish Airlines Flight Search. I've already checked on UA's site for the flights, LAX - EWR - ZRH, I see business class (I) availability on the 2 legs.

When I go to Turkish I'm not seeing this. It only shows the "Flight not found..." on the preferred date or only Economy on the next date. I could possibly take the next date if it comes to it being the only available option. Is it that Turkish's search only shows the 'Lowest' fare options? 3/28 is 151.3k UA miles and 3/29 is 75k UA miles.

If this does show on UA would I then call the call center or go to the Turkish office (I live near LAX) to book the flights and give (spoon feed) the flight information to them?
Old Jan 10, 22, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 75K (OWE), TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
151.3k UA miles seems high for I class - are you sure the fare class for that option isn't JN?

As long as both segments are available in I class, you should be able to get the ticket booked via the call center and via a sales office. However, do note that TK does not allow mixed class awards, so both segments must be available in I class - if one is only available in X class, the number of TK miles required will increase.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Jan 10, 22, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
151.3k UA miles seems high for I class - are you sure the fare class for that option isn't JN?

As long as both segments are available in I class, you should be able to get the ticket booked via the call center and via a sales office. However, do note that TK does not allow mixed class awards, so both segments must be available in I class - if one is only available in X class, the number of TK miles required will increase.
Yes, the 155k is JN on some of the flights for both legs. Some of the other flights are I and JN. Should I go with the JN class flights what amount of TK miles would I need to have and transfer to that account?
Old Jan 10, 22, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75K (OWE), TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
Yes, the 155k is JN on some of the flights for both legs. Some of the other flights are I and JN. Should I go with the JN class flights what amount of TK miles would I need to have and transfer to that account?
Turkish miles cannot be used to book JN on UA - only UA miles can be used for that.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Jan 10, 22, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
Turkish miles cannot be used to book JN on UA - only UA miles can be used for that.
Thanks.....so which class can be booked with TK? I and X? If either or both, how many miles/points are needed?
Old Jan 11, 22, 10:35 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Under the TK website Partner Award function I've found some flights I would like to purchase TG410/TG960 in I class. So far so good. When I enter passenger details and select Continue to Payment I get the following message. Is there any way around this other than contacting the call centre or a sales office? Many thanks.

Error

Dear passenger,

The ticketing approval for the fare class you selected in your travel plan could not be obtained from our contracted airline. We apologize for this inconvenience, which is unfortunately beyond our control.

You can change your flight selection and try again.
SER-TBOS-29099-f024e216
Old Jan 12, 22, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sydunipete View Post
Under the TK website Partner Award function I've found some flights I would like to purchase TG410/TG960 in I class. So far so good. When I enter passenger details and select Continue to Payment I get the following message. Is there any way around this other than contacting the call centre or a sales office? Many thanks.

Error

Dear passenger,

The ticketing approval for the fare class you selected in your travel plan could not be obtained from our contracted airline. We apologize for this inconvenience, which is unfortunately beyond our control.

You can change your flight selection and try again.
SER-TBOS-29099-f024e216
Everybody is getting this. You have to hope a call centre can deal with it, otherwise go via a ticket office.
sydunipete likes this.
Old Jan 13, 22, 9:20 am

I'm having a headache at the minute. I had a ticket issued in €. There was a schedule change and the call centre reissued it with no additional collection but in TRY which seems to have made a mess of the ticket. I'm now trying to change the flight - have got a helpful TK office to insert the new segment but call center need a mysterious "head office" ticketing department to recalculate the new tax and call me back to issue the ticket and of course they don't, waited over 1 week now. Have called the call center multiple times but they cannot assist.

The expiry will pass again tonight so it's relying on Avianca I class inventory remaining available to rebook it again which eventually will dry up. Can't cancel & rebook as a chunk of the miles are expired.

Any ideas? I'm not really near a ticket office but have sent out email to a few to see if anyone can handle it remotely perhaps
Old Jan 13, 22, 12:01 pm

Is the ability to buy a Star Alliance ticket online still impossible due to the inability to get beyond the payment page? If so, does anyone have an inkling as to if/when this will ever be fixed?
hkcj likes this.
Old Jan 13, 22, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
*Alliance Award on United, Have to call in?

I am trying to book a route in the US that has XN availability (saver award availability on United's website) but when i go to search it in the *Alliance award on the TK site the route does not show up. Does this mean i have to call into TK to book that flight? If i search United's site for award availability and XN (saver award) is available then it should be bookable via TK?

Thanks.

An update: I can see the flight as bookable on ANA but not on TK's site.

2nd Update: I called the call center... and they don't see any space available.. but the flight is bookable on TAP, ANA, Lufthansa, and United. (it's a spacer saver XN). Expert flyer also shows space available. Is this a HUCA situation? Any thoughts here?

Last edited by ambush276; Jan 13, 22 at 10:57 pm
Old Jan 13, 22, 11:14 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Yes. I've been through all this in recent days and have only just now made a successful booking with my local sales office.

I can see some partner awards available on the TK site that my local agents cant. I can see even more using United or ANA search tools that my local agents can't see.

Local agents can see some flights that aren't on the TK site.

The agents in the call centre can't see anything.

Good luck.

Last edited by sydunipete; Jan 14, 22 at 1:40 pm

Search this Thread