Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sammyg901
Wiki Link
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 5, 21, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tboons View Post
Ouch. I thought the first class has several sweet spots.
It's easy to publish, and never update, an F award chart when your airline doesn't offer F and you don't allow partner bookings in F.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Sep 5, 21, 5:35 am

Programs: TK E+
Well it did work with partner airlines (except for few) in the past.
Old Sep 5, 21, 8:51 am

I am trying to book a Star Alliance award for the first time ever, and let's just say that this process is incredibly debilitating. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread because I ran into the no payment button issue, which is just mind blowing.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but since the app seems to be slightly better than the website, is there a way to display Star A awards on the app? Or is that limited to TK metal flights only? I would really like to avoid calling them as much as I can, given how terrible the agents I dealt with so far were. Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 21, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Klems View Post
I am trying to book a Star Alliance award for the first time ever, and let's just say that this process is incredibly debilitating. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread because I ran into the no payment button issue, which is just mind blowing.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but since the app seems to be slightly better than the website, is there a way to display Star A awards on the app? Or is that limited to TK metal flights only? I would really like to avoid calling them as much as I can, given how terrible the agents I dealt with so far were. Thank you!
Unfortunately, you can't book *A awards on the app. The only self-service way to book *A awards is to use the website which has a glitch at this time.
Your only option seems like calling the hotline or contacting a sales office.
Klems likes this.
Old Sep 5, 21, 8:59 am

Thank you so much for the quick reply ISTFlyer !
Old Sep 5, 21, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Klems View Post
Thank you so much for the quick reply ISTFlyer !
You're welcome
Klems likes this.
Old Sep 13, 21, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Trying to understand the search on *A link on the TK-Miles Transaction website. I'm looking for business class seats for next March/April either One Way LAX to MXP or LAX to ZRH. Or visa versa.

Its seems that I can only get Economy seats while I know searching on United there are Saver Award seats available. I searched 2 weeks in either direction on TK - Miles Transaction link.

I've also searched DEN or SFO or EWR to MXP or ZRH - still only see the Economy availability.

Anyone know how to get the Business Class option to show up?

Last edited by cajunguy; Sep 13, 21 at 11:46 am
Old Sep 13, 21, 12:28 pm

Flight changed by United Airlines

With UA flight booked with Turkish mile points, when UA changes the flight schedule , do I have to contact Turkish Airlines to have them rebook the new fight ? Will the new flight have a different reservation code and ticket number ?
Old Sep 13, 21, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
Trying to understand the search on *A link on the TK-Miles Transaction website. I'm looking for business class seats for next March/April either One Way LAX to MXP or LAX to ZRH. Or visa versa.

Its seems that I can only get Economy seats while I know searching on United there are Saver Award seats available. I searched 2 weeks in either direction on TK - Miles Transaction link.

I've also searched DEN or SFO or EWR to MXP or ZRH - still only see the Economy availability.

United Saver availability does not mean that the ticket is bookable through Miles&Smiles.
Are you sure that there is "I" availability for all individual segments on the itinerary you're looking for.

Originally Posted by Yizhu View Post
With UA flight booked with Turkish mile points, when UA changes the flight schedule , do I have to contact Turkish Airlines to have them rebook the new fight ? Will the new flight have a different reservation code and ticket number ?
Yes, you would need to contact Turkish Airlines and discuss your options with TK. The new flights would have the same PNR but in case where the ticket needs to be re-issued you would have a new ticket number.
Old Sep 13, 21, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
United Saver availability does not mean that the ticket is bookable through Miles&Smiles.
Are you sure that there is "I" availability for all individual segments on the itinerary you're looking for.
If you're asking for the "I" on the United site, yes, it's there for multiple flights on the different days I look at on United's site. MXP - ZRH - LAX or MXP - WAW - LAX for example. Also see the "I" when I use LAX - ZRH on a few flights over, some have an "X" on transcontinental flights to the east coast (EWR)
Old Sep 14, 21, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Online? Difficult.

If you have a TK ticket office nearby, they are more likely to be able to help.

Alternatively you can call the 1-800 number and see whether they can put a partner booking on hold, but then you probably need to visit a ticket office to issue the ticket. Some people also have success emailing a variety of TK ticket offices...
cajunguy likes this.
Old Sep 14, 21, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're asking for the "I" on the United site, yes, it's there for multiple flights on the different days I look at on United's site. MXP - ZRH - LAX or MXP - WAW - LAX for example. Also see the "I" when I use LAX - ZRH on a few flights over, some have an "X" on transcontinental flights to the east coast (EWR)
OK, in this case, all flights need to have individual "I" fare availability as well. For example, if you are planning to book MXP-ZRH-LAX; you would also need to search MXP-ZRH and ZRH-LAX separately and search for "I" fare availability for each of those segments.

Booking married segment availability on TK Miles&Smiles is not possible.

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Online? Difficult.

If you have a TK ticket office nearby, they are more likely to be able to help.

Alternatively you can call the 1-800 number and see whether they can put a partner booking on hold, but then you probably need to visit a ticket office to issue the ticket. Some people also have success emailing a variety of TK ticket offices...
Exactly, it's a known issue that not all bookable combinations show up on TK.com
If there is "I" fare and the flights doesn't show up online; the best way is to either call in or contact a sales office.

Visiting a sales office in person would increase the chances for you to book a ticket.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Sep 14, 21, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
OK, in this case, all flights need to have individual "I" fare availability as well. For example, if you are planning to book MXP-ZRH-LAX; you would also need to search MXP-ZRH and ZRH-LAX separately and search for "I" fare availability for each of those segments.

Booking married segment availability on TK Miles&Smiles is not possible.

Exactly, it's a known issue that not all bookable combinations show up on TK.com
If there is "I" fare and the flights doesn't show up online; the best way is to either call in or contact a sales office.

Visiting a sales office in person would increase the chances for you to book a ticket.

Thank you ISTFlyer & craigthemif ! This makes perfect sense in the crazy way they do things.

Looks like they do have a sales office in the Los Angeles area!
Old Sep 14, 21, 12:41 pm

Need help with my UA flight

Since UA changed the flight Schedule, I have been trying to email, call and visit the sale office to ask them to re-issue the new ticket, which should come with new ticket number I think.

so far none of them was able to help me with my request. My flight is on 9/17, so stress out right now.

agent at the VA Maclean ticket sale office told me she had escalate the issue to the headquarter when I visited there this morning.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could get them to re-issue the ticket.

Thank you in advance for all the helps
Old Sep 14, 21, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
For those of you dealing with the non-existent payment button issue and are software-inclined, the system does generate a reservation when you land on the final payment page. You can pull it from the network data and call in to ticket it.
moops380 likes this.

Search this Thread