Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by matter
OK, so I was worried about my award ticket not going through, but have 3 good things to report, firstly I enlisted the help of my company's travel agent (Vision Travel), who have offices in Toronto, so figured worst case scenario they could physically visit on my behalf. But, they were able to settle it over the phone with the local sales office, when I was told multiple times this was not possible - so perhaps travel agents get better service?

Secondly, a day after the ticket was booked I did get a phone call from the sales staff to follow up re: my email (thanks Slickvik), so that may also work, but in this case the travel agent got it done faster.

The third good part is they booked me a RT award ticket YYZ-YVR for only 15k miles, which I believe is half the award chart price - nice!

As a side note, doing the ANA website and having the exact flight numbers is necessary, they kept saying "I see no availability" until they plugged in the exact details, so if anyone is trying to repeat this, come with all of the info.

Thanks for the help!
I think the rate is 20k, you saved 5k miles nonetheless! That is a great deal.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:24 am

Is it also possible to redeem miles for jet airways flights? And what are the redemption levels?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by gabrielro
Hi,

I tried calling the local sales office in Singapore to redeem my TK miles on EVA flight (BR225 TPE-SIN). They said that they don't even see EVA in their system, thus no such redemption is possible.

Did anyone manage to redeem TK miles on BR on any route?
I called the tollfree number today. I wanted to fly BR from CDG-TPE but the agent could only see the schedule, it is not bookable. He advised me to call again tomorrow and maybe it will be bookable in their system. On United's website, there's at least one saver seat available. Could it be that EVA Air is not releasing award seats to TK? Or TK not having access to BR?

Last edited by thefilipinotraveler; Nov 1, 2016 at 9:42 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yesterday I successfully issued my second Star Alliance award ticket. FRA-HND in All Nippon Airways First Class for 65700 miles + €87,07 in taxes. Sadly it took the staff at the Frankfurt ticket office 5 hours to figure out how to issue the ticket, and I had to sit around and wait the whole time.
Lbs890213 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why the low tax/no YQ amount?

Maybe this was the part that caused the troubles at TK ticket office.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by SK AAR
YQ is capped by the Japanese government on flights to/from Japan. @:-)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by airoli
YQ is capped by the Japanese government on flights to/from Japan. @:-)
Took the same flight last year but redeemed A3 miles.
Taxes are
Germany Airport Security Charge (DE)
€9.56
Germany Air Transport Tax (OY)
€41.99
German Passenger Service Charge (RA)
€33.61
NH YQ surcharge (YQ)
€1.92

Enjoy the flight LH4116!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR

Maybe this was the part that caused the troubles at TK ticket office.
ANA doesn't take out fuel surcharges at the moment, but they will begin at the end of this month. Currently the YQ is €2 which only covers the insurance cost, and it will soon be raised to €30 per segment to include a fuel surcharge.

I booked TK home with a friend's expiring miles, and the taxes set me back around €56. Had I chosen TK on the outbound it would have cost me around four times as much.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slickvik
Anyone know what the change fee is? A better flight opened up for me but I see no information on the ticket.
25 USD.
Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
Hi! Can anyone confirm – does TK allow mixed cabins on one-way Star Alliance awards? Example:
LH OSL-FRA (business)
LH FRA-JNB (first)
Will this combination be ok?

I also have a question about the miles overdraft function for Elite Members. Does it only apply to TK awards? Not for *A awards?
Overdraft works for *A awards too. Mixed cabin doesn't work, and there's no way to chose an extended layover in Frankfurt since the system will only allow the shortest connection.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:42 am

Mixed feelings

I booked a Star award with TK miles for the first time. One-way, JFK-TLV, on Lufthansa, in business class.

The good: I called the TLV city office for the booking. On two out of three calls, they answered immediately. They were competent and completed the transaction smoothly. The reservation can be held for a few days without ticketing. 47K miles for this trip isn't bad.

The bad: I class availability as shown on ExpertFlyer.com does not match the availability they see. They offered me way fewer options than I expected. Once a booking is made, they e-mail you forms which you have to fill in and e-mail back (they won't take a credit card number over the phone). Once confirmed, you get an e-mail with the TK reference number but no Amadeus PNR (so no way to access the reservation on lh.com, for example).

The worst: they managed to screw up my reservation somehow, and if I hadn't found out I'd be stuck without a ticket. I called back and they fixed it within a few hours.

In sum, less smooth than booking a TK award online, but still didn't require too much effort and I'm happy with the results.

Shuly
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuly
I booked a Star award with TK miles for the first time. One-way, JFK-TLV, on Lufthansa, in business class.

The good: I called the TLV city office for the booking. On two out of three calls, they answered immediately. They were competent and completed the transaction smoothly. The reservation can be held for a few days without ticketing. 47K miles for this trip isn't bad.

The bad: I class availability as shown on ExpertFlyer.com does not match the availability they see. They offered me way fewer options than I expected. Once a booking is made, they e-mail you forms which you have to fill in and e-mail back (they won't take a credit card number over the phone). Once confirmed, you get an e-mail with the TK reference number but no Amadeus PNR (so no way to access the reservation on lh.com, for example).

The worst: they managed to screw up my reservation somehow, and if I hadn't found out I'd be stuck without a ticket. I called back and they fixed it within a few hours.

In sum, less smooth than booking a TK award online, but still didn't require too much effort and I'm happy with the results.

Shuly
You can get the Lufthansa PNR either by calling them, or using the manage my booking feature on SWISS website, where you enter the ticket number. Also since TK use married segments, the number of connections will be limited to only the shortest connection.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:33 am

Anybody has recent experience in redeeming *A ticket through the YUL or YYZ office?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
My experience:
made the reservations over the phone on a Sunday.
1 *A Award on United, 1 ¨*A Award on Ethiopian and one award on TK
Answered immediately, reservation made swiftly, confirmation emails received.
Agent was unable to tell me the tax/YQ on the *A awards.

On Monday I went to the TK offcice in Chicago (city not airport). Very friendly but the process is very slow: first they have to look up the taxes, write it down, add it up, make me pay (cash or CC).
Then they have to issue the tickets, it took 2 people and 20 minutes to issue them, while I had to hear "Ethiad is not part of Star Alliance" (ET= Ethiopian...). All well in the end.

They said the software is being renewed but if I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
My experience:
made the reservations over the phone on a Sunday.
1 *A Award on United, 1 ¨*A Award on Ethiopian and one award on TK
Answered immediately, reservation made swiftly, confirmation emails received.
Agent was unable to tell me the tax/YQ on the *A awards.

On Monday I went to the TK offcice in Chicago (city not airport). Very friendly but the process is very slow: first they have to look up the taxes, write it down, add it up, make me pay (cash or CC).
Then they have to issue the tickets, it took 2 people and 20 minutes to issue them, while I had to hear "Ethiad is not part of Star Alliance" (ET= Ethiopian...). All well in the end.

They said the software is being renewed but if I wouldn't hold my breath.
Not so smooth after all: just found out they took miles for a return out of my account, not 50% for a one-way. I'll report on the struggle to get them back...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Not so smooth after all: just found out they took miles for a return out of my account, not 50% for a one-way. I'll report on the struggle to get them back...
Thanks Ghentleman for sharing your experience.

I emailed the YUL & YYZ office. YUL quoted me wrong # of miles for the itinerary and asked me to call general reservation # for reservation & ticketing. YYZ office said they have checked " NH (Malaysian Airlines) and NH (Anna All Nippon Airways for Japan)" and no reward seat is available (though United shows availability).

Not too optimistic about the prospects.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.