Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Which countries offer credit cards that can directly transfer points to Miles&Smiles beside US and Turkey(Miles&Smiles credit card)? Last time I checked, did not find any.
If I'm not wrong Citibank India and UAE also allows transfer to Miles&Smiles.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Which countries offer credit cards that can directly transfer points to Miles&Smiles beside US and Turkey(Miles&Smiles credit card)? Last time I checked, did not find any.
Must not be checking very hard. In addition to what ISTFlyer mentioned with India and UAE, its UK, Canada and Russia just to name the ones I know. I am sure there are more if somebody wants to actually check every bank in every country.

For KrisFlyer miles there are even more countries than that (since my original comment was about using them directly if somebody really needs to use Singapore award space and TK availability doesnt show it).
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
CITI Singapore also allows transfer to Miles&Smiles.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by 336
What is the best place to look for availability on Singapore Airlines when booking with Turkish Miles & Smiles?
Good luck, SQ had not been seen releasing any seats to non-Krisflyer since around 13 Jun 2020
asnovici and 336 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by asnovici
Must not be checking very hard. In addition to what ISTFlyer mentioned with India and UAE, its UK, Canada and Russia just to name the ones I know. I am sure there are more if somebody wants to actually check every bank in every country.
For KrisFlyer miles there are even more countries than that (since my original comment was about using them directly if somebody really needs to use Singapore award space and TK availability doesnt show it).
Originally Posted by yauee
CITI Singapore also allows transfer to Miles&Smiles.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If I'm not wrong Citibank India and UAE also allows transfer to Miles&Smiles.
Nice. Indeed brings color Same bank, different branches.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:24 am

Bringing Krisflyer recommendation to Miles&Smiles award redemption thread to answer the question about Miles&Smiles point redemption using TK miles is way off topic as is the credit card recommendation. Off topic is not bringing the color.
336 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
What's with all the bickering...

The simple answer is:

1. You basically cannot book SQ rewards using TK miles. Now, because SQ has blocked all partner access to its award space for the duration of COVID. Pre-COVID and presumably post-COVID, you still can't really expect to book SQ premium cabins with partner miles, but you could sometimes find Y or regional flights.

2. If the source of your TK miles is credit card points, then look at your bank's other mileage partners (including Krisflyer). No need for further discussion...
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Bringing Krisflyer recommendation to Miles&Smiles award redemption thread to answer the question about Miles&Smiles point redemption using TK miles is way off topic as is the credit card recommendation. Off topic is not bringing the color.
Thats your opinion and I disagree. The recommendation is highly relevant as a method of acquiring an award seat on a preferred airline when the usage of TK miles is impossible or difficult to accomplish. Your repeated failure to see this does not constitute a fact other than the failure itself.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:54 pm

Thats your opinion and I disagree. The recommendation is highly relevant as a method of acquiring an award seat on a preferred airline when the usage of TK miles is impossible or difficult to accomplish. Your repeated failure to see this does not constitute a fact other than the failure itself.
When someone askes specificly about TK FFP miles then other than answer about that specific FFP program is off topic, even when someone wants give "credit card education" or "bring the color" for the rest of the world. All airlines have a different booking classes, name it as you want(sub or whatever) but what comes to Star Alliance award redemption, the only booking classes that matters are X, I and O(not with TK at the moment). I understand what you say, but Krisflyer and credit cards do not have anything to do with a question that was asked. This is TK miles redemption thread in TK forum, not a "desperately need fly with SQ using whatever FFP miles" thread.
336 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:39 pm

Thanks craigthemif and yauee for the answer to my question.

Luckily TK extended validity of miles with 6 more months. Gives me some room to book an alternative. Many carriers that I would like to avoid in my route to SIN. LX high costs.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:41 pm

When someone askes specificly about TK FFP miles then other than answer about that specific FFP program is off topic, even when someone wants give "credit card education" or "bring the color" for the rest of the world. All airlines have a different booking classes, name it as you want(sub or whatever) but what comes to Star Alliance award redemption, the only booking classes that matters are X, I and O(not with TK at the moment). I understand what you say, but Krisflyer and credit cards do not have anything to do with a question that was asked. This is TK miles redemption thread in TK forum, not a "desperately need fly with SQ using whatever FFP miles" thread.
Wrong again. I disagree.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:24 am

Wrong again. I disagree.
You may disagree, but that does not mean that I am wrong. It is my point of view, YMMV.
336 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:15 am

You may disagree, but that does not mean that I am wrong. It is my point of view, YMMV.
We have different POVs on this for sure.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Anyone YYZ based having any joy with booking *A reward flights for domestic Canadian routes? I've tried the website, called the call centre and emailed the local YYZ sales office all with no luck.

I've checked random flights ex-YYZ all across NA on the website through the end of the year and into next with absolutely no joy despite there being tons of availability on the likes of AC and UA

Thankfully miles were extended till the end of the year, but I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no award availability to anywhere in NA?!?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Neil791
Anyone YYZ based having any joy with booking *A reward flights for domestic Canadian routes? I've tried the website, called the call centre and emailed the local YYZ sales office all with no luck.

I've checked random flights ex-YYZ all across NA on the website through the end of the year and into next with absolutely no joy despite there being tons of availability on the likes of AC and UA

Thankfully miles were extended till the end of the year, but I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no award availability to anywhere in NA?!?
In my entirely unscientific experience, AC (as well as AA, UA and DL FWIW) have gone so far down the path of dynamic award pricing that there is very little inventory being offered in fare buckets that partners can access.

It's very frustrating to find flights that are pricing at fewer Aeroplan, etc. miles than the old "saver" levels would be, but this still doesn't appear via a partner ffp.

Add the standard problems with using TK miles for partner awards, and it's a recipe for disappointment...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.