Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If UA cancels one of the flights, yes, it would be a free cancellation. However, with the flights being operated, you would not be entitled to a free refund. You would need to pay $25 for the redeposition of the miles if the flights operate.

Contacting your travel insurance may be useful, however, the situation of COVID-19 changes frequently, so I could not give advice on when to contact them.
UA changed my nonstop to flight with a connection in west coast. As a result, I was able to cancel the award with no penalties. Miles returned to account same day (few hrs later). Taxes paid were refunded (received it a week later)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
UA changed my nonstop to flight with a connection in west coast. As a result, I was able to cancel the award with no penalties. Miles returned to account same day (few hrs later). Taxes paid were refunded (received it a week later)
Of course, if one of your flights is modified, you would be eligible for a free change/cancellation.
By the way, when did this cancellation occur and when did you receive your refund? ( After/before March 21? ) TK stopped refunding passengers on March 21 and you might be super lucky receiving your money from TK at this time.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:12 pm

Of course, if one of your flights is modified, you would be eligible for a free change/cancellation.
By the way, when did this cancellation occur and when did you receive your refund? ( After/before March 21? ) TK stopped refunding passengers on March 21 and you might be super lucky receiving your money from TK at this time.
Called and cancelled on 4/21. They actually gave me the option for cash refund or something about every $X for Y amt of turkish miles. I chose cash refund. Refund posted to my cc 4/27
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
i have always been able to call the hotline to book UA awards and itll get ticketed right there and then (did not ever had to go to an office).
Which hotline? The USA toll-free number?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just a reminder that TK uses a pool system in English speaking hotlines. If you call the US, UK, Turkey number; it would be the same agents opening the phone.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
yes. i always pull up the nato phonetic alphabet on wikipedia first (should really have it memorized by now....but nope!) because youll have to spell out each letter for everything to them
malmostoso likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by LH4116
  • Please note that it is NOT possible to ticket your award over the phone.

• Please note that you can NOT mix two airlines in the same leg of an itinerary, without being charged for a new award
  • You can combine two airlines on a round trip, as long as each leg of the trip is on the same airline.segments.
Few items to clarify

Ticketing on the phone is very much possible now

Also, ability to combine two airlines on one way award appears to be possible as I just booked LIS MUC DME as TP connecting to LH for 15,000 in Business. Was that a fluke? Also, mixed itineraries like that show up on TK website for award bookings when it actually works

Would be interested to hear others experiences booking mixed airlines awards as one ways for awards
Old May 26, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asnovici
Few items to clarify

Ticketing on the phone is very much possible now

Also, ability to combine two airlines on one way award appears to be possible as I just booked LIS MUC DME as TP connecting to LH for 15,000 in Business. Was that a fluke? Also, mixed itineraries like that show up on TK website for award bookings when it actually works

Would be interested to hear others experiences booking mixed airlines awards as one ways for awards
I was successful booking a mixed airline award on a one-way ticket earlier this year via a sales office.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:15 pm

Any update on bookings in First class?
Old May 26, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by 336
Any update on bookings in First class?
Last I know is that it was possible to book F awards on the hotline (did so last January ‘19), but the ticketing/payment process at offices and at the airport was completely non-functional.

So they can reserve it, but it’s impossible for them to calculate the fees and take your payment.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Is there a good ticket office to contact right now for *A bookings? I have tried 4-5 times on different days to book EWR-TLV flights that are available on both UA & ANA sites, and every time I am very clear that I want a partner booking on UA but they keep offering me flights on TK instead and insisting there is no availability on UA. I also tried emailing the NY ticket office and got no reply. Is it just impossible to book right now? The last agent said there was no mileage booking class availability on the flights I wanted and I confirmed again on ANA that partner availability was there. And how do you find the contact info for the other ticket offices, couldn’t find anything on the site.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daslax
Is there a good ticket office to contact right now for *A bookings? I have tried 4-5 times on different days to book EWR-TLV flights that are available on both UA & ANA sites, and every time I am very clear that I want a partner booking on UA but they keep offering me flights on TK instead and insisting there is no availability on UA. I also tried emailing the NY ticket office and got no reply. Is it just impossible to book right now? The last agent said there was no mileage booking class availability on the flights I wanted and I confirmed again on ANA that partner availability was there. And how do you find the contact info for the other ticket offices, couldn’t find anything on the site.
For Economy Class 'X' fare availability, for Business Class 'I' fare class availability is required in order to book an UA award with Miles&Smiles.
United may offer more flexible availability for their own MileagePlus members and also consider that United & ANA has a strong partner relationship.

If there is X or I fare class available for your intended travel days, contact another sales office. Also, some inexperienced phone agents would not know that they must search UA flights manually as the system would auto-show TK flights at the first point.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:48 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I love the sweet spot for their award chart, but I can’t imagine the grief one would end up having to endure with booking a star award in the future that is guaranteed to have multiple cancellations and schedule changes during covid..
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
For Economy Class 'X' fare availability, for Business Class 'I' fare class availability is required in order to book an UA award with Miles&Smiles.
United may offer more flexible availability for their own MileagePlus members and also consider that United & ANA has a strong partner relationship.

If there is X or I fare class available for your intended travel days, contact another sales office. Also, some inexperienced phone agents would not know that they must search UA flights manually as the system would auto-show TK flights at the first point.
It’s my understanding that regardless of the closeness of the relationship, partner availability is the same across *A partners. If I’m seeing ANA availability, it should be available on TK.

My primary question was how do you reach other sales offices and are there offices that seem more able/willing to book? I can’t seem to find any links or info on the TK site - I found the email for the NYC sales office in the comments of a blog, otherwise I can’t seem to find this info. It’s been over a week since I emailed them with no response.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
In general, partner availability is the same across *A partners. However some programs make additional space available to their members or close partners, Lufthansa does the same. I can find award space with Miles&More which I cannot find with other *A programs.

I think sales offices are just overwhelmed currently. Their contacts used to be on the TK website but have been removed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.