Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Question First class awards?

Have anyone had any luck issuing first class awards recently or is TK still refusing to issue those?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Have anyone had any luck issuing first class awards recently or is TK still refusing to issue those?
No luck when I tried calling them today. "Only business or economy, Sir."
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:05 am

Out of Sync Ticket

I redeemed a multi sector star alliance ticket under TK and found that the final sector under SQ is not "properly" issued. TK told me the entire ticket is fine while SQ told me the ticket was not issued. SQ told me to get TK to revalidate it which I never succeeded in getting TK to do this as the ticket is perfectly under their system.

Anyone has any solution and experience to this?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by luv_flying
I redeemed a multi sector star alliance ticket under TK and found that the final sector under SQ is not "properly" issued. TK told me the entire ticket is fine while SQ told me the ticket was not issued. SQ told me to get TK to revalidate it which I never succeeded in getting TK to do this as the ticket is perfectly under their system.

Anyone has any solution and experience to this?
Generally, airlines do not pay award ticket fees on partner tickets to the operating airline until the last minute. Do you have an e-ticket number and does it start with 235?
If you have one, I would stop worrying until 7 days before the flight.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:00 am

Yes, it has 2 ticket numbers which the 2nd one assigned to the final sector of SQ seen on TK system.

But SQ could not see this particular ticket being linked to this particular sector.

The 1st ticket number was assigned and linked up correctly with other SA airlines and they do see the ticket are reflected as issued.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by luv_flying
Yes, it has 2 ticket numbers which the 2nd one assigned to the final sector of SQ seen on TK system.

But SQ could not see this particular ticket being linked to this particular sector.

The 1st ticket number was assigned and linked up correctly with other SA airlines and they do see the ticket are reflected as issued.
I had a similar problem when I did a redemption through TK. One leg on TK, the other on SQ. SQ couldn't see it but it all worked out. It's a few years ago now, but at some stage I was given a different PNR for the SQ leg - I think form the TK sales office, then SQ was able to see it without problem.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I had a similar problem when I did a redemption through TK. One leg on TK, the other on SQ. SQ couldn't see it but it all worked out. It's a few years ago now, but at some stage I was given a different PNR for the SQ leg - I think form the TK sales office, then SQ was able to see it without problem.
I see. The PNR was there on SQ system but not the ticket number being linked up correctly. That's why SQ deem this ticket was not being issued. Hope that I can board on the day of travel.

Last edited by luv_flying; Jan 11, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Just to confirm if I am missing something... TK did increase the US<->Oceania miles cost from 15.000 RT (or whatever the sweet-spot-low the number was before) to 105.000 RT right?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve got ~19k orphan TK miles, and I’m not near a TK ticket office. Do I dare transfer in more for an award? Hate to lose them, but I’m also doubling down on TK ticketing frustrations if I do.

edit- I could just redeem a 15k economy award on UA and call it done.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jan 14, 2020 at 3:49 pm
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Just to confirm if I am missing something... TK did increase the US<->Oceania miles cost from 15.000 RT (or whatever the sweet-spot-low the number was before) to 105.000 RT right?
North America to Oceania has always been 105,000. What changed was that HNL was switched from Oceania to North America.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I’ve got ~19k orphan TK miles, and I’m not near a TK ticket office. Do I dare transfer in more for an award? Hate to lose them, but I’m also doubling down on TK ticketing frustrations if I do.

Just on TK redemptions and cancelation of those, I am out almost 250-300k + taxes, where the dimwits never seem to reply.

BOM office cannot do anything, FRA airport told me to write to IST - but IST wrote back about something *completely different* from my issue I raised with them...

I think Air India is even more competent than those characters...
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Sounds like the simpler the better with TK.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:34 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Any clue what this one means? Error after entering passenger details and proceeding to payment screen.

Error

Please try again. If your reservation code (PNR) has expired, you are required to complete your procedures at our sales offices or from our call center.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY

Canada and Mexico are 20k round trip
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by yul7075
I just added a companion online but on the last page its says the following

Attention
For Star Alliance award ticket transactions, the ticketing process is not possible for non-members.
I called them and asked, the reply was "the companion" added online is only for you to buy TK ticket and issue a companion ticket with mileage, so yes, useless for *A award ticketing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.