Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by <3vacations
Hi All,

I am attempting to move miles into a family account to pool them (this has been interesting) at which point I will have just over 99K miles.
Once they are pooled I am hoping to do to get the following award tickets
MCO or MIA to HNL flexible dates but say Jan 1 - Jan 30 ( On UA this should be 25,000 miles round-trip right?)
and another from HNL to CHC or AKL from say Jan 5- Jan 25. (50 K miles on Air NZ? or UA?)

Would that be possible in reality or just in theory?
Would I be able to request them all at once?
I'd like to try to do it via e-mail but I can go to Miami office if necessary.
MCO/MIA to HNL would be 15000 miles r/t
HNL to CHC/AKL would be 15000 miles r/t

You cannot request them at once. You need to buy the tickets separately. For both flights, you need Limited Award Space to book with Miles&Smiles. ( Known as X fare class )
Going to an office would be more efficient and safe as we have members reporting that sales offices reject to book tickets via e-mail and also availability could disappear at any time. When visiting a sales office in person, the agent would be helping you on the spot rather than waiting for your e-mail to be replied.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
MCO/MIA to HNL would be 15000 miles r/t
HNL to CHC/AKL would be 15000 miles r/t

You cannot request them at once. You need to buy the tickets separately. For both flights, you need Limited Award Space to book with Miles&Smiles. ( Known as X fare class )
Going to an office would be more efficient and safe as we have members reporting that sales offices reject to book tickets via e-mail and also availability could disappear at any time. When visiting a sales office in person, the agent would be helping you on the spot rather than waiting for your e-mail to be replied.
Is there a trick to get it to 15.000 on both these routes? I am looking at the website and although that routing was a sweet spot (US->Oceania) it seems like it has de-valued quite a lot? Or am I missing something more obvious? I am also looking to initiate an award booking for later this year but when I looked I sort of given up.
Here
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...rds/index.html
It seems that Promotional award ticket table shows Intra-US (so the MIA-HNL) being at 20.000 RT in eco, 30.000 RT in business and for the other segment (HNL -> AKL for e.g.) it would come to an awful 105.000 RT
is there other place to look?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:04 am

Went to TK office and was quoted the following North America- Northern Africa (on AC+LH) flight requiring 45000 miles, but per award chart isn’t it ONLY 30000 miles required?

I tried showing award charts to the staff but still insisted 45000 miles required. Any tips to have this corrected? Thanks.

Miles required: 45000PTS,

Taxes: Xxxxxx

F 1.1ABC

HKGTKCW 18DEC ABCDEF

1 AC 854 X WE 24JUN YVRLHR HK1 X 1830 1150*1E

2 LH 907 X TH 25JUN LHRFRA HK1 X 1330 1605 E

3 LH1330 X TH 25JUN FRACMN HK1 2215 0045*1E
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hktramz
Went to TK office and was quoted the following North America- Northern Africa (on AC+LH) flight requiring 45000 miles, but per award chart isn’t it ONLY 30000 miles required?

I tried showing award charts to the staff but still insisted 45000 miles required. Any tips to have this corrected? Thanks.

Miles required: 45000PTS,

Taxes: Xxxxxx

F 1.1ABC

HKGTKCW 18DEC ABCDEF

1 AC 854 X WE 24JUN YVRLHR HK1 X 1830 1150*1E

2 LH 907 X TH 25JUN LHRFRA HK1 X 1330 1605 E

3 LH1330 X TH 25JUN FRACMN HK1 2215 0045*1E
As your layover in FRA is longer than 4h, you would be charged separately for YVR-FRA and FRA-CMN.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The reason may also be that you are combining 2 Star Alliance carriers. At least in the past only 1 Star Alliance carrier + TK was allowed (admittedly, I'm not sure if this rule has been changed by TK M&S)
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
As your layover in FRA is longer than 4h, you would be charged separately for YVR-FRA and FRA-CMN.
The 4h layover applies to US domestic fares only, so not applicable here.

I'd agree with SK AAR that it is likely due to combining two carriers.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:05 pm

Website broke

Hello,

Has anyone successfully bought their star alliance award ticket through the website? When I get to the "Passenger Details" section, I click "Add Passenger", but it does not reveal anywhere to type the passenger details. Also, it does not let me continue to payment. I click the button but it does not do anything. Any suggestions? Miles are expiring tomorrow
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Anyone knows how to search award ticket in easier way? I have mileage expiring, spent lots of time and basically none of my searches returning available ticket. (I am based in Japan now, and searched lots of different route e.g. TYO-HKG/TPE/TSA/BKK/SIN), the UI has no availability calendar and so random search is just a waste of time.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by braveswin11
Hello,

Has anyone successfully bought their star alliance award ticket through the website? When I get to the "Passenger Details" section, I click "Add Passenger", but it does not reveal anywhere to type the passenger details. Also, it does not let me continue to payment. I click the button but it does not do anything. Any suggestions? Miles are expiring tomorrow
You have to call them to add a companion.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

braveswin11 Welcome to FT

I am not sure if the hotline could help booking *A awards. It's either the limited functioned website or a sales office where you should book a *A award.
And fakeman, what do you mention by UI ?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by fakeman
You have to call them to add a companion.
I just added a companion online but on the last page its says the following

Attention
For Star Alliance award ticket transactions, the ticketing process is not possible for non-members.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by yul7075
I just added a companion online but on the last page its says the following

Attention
For Star Alliance award ticket transactions, the ticketing process is not possible for non-members.
Were you able to get past the passenger details screen after adding the companion online?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:48 am

braveswin11 Welcome to FT

I am not sure if the hotline could help booking *A awards. It's either the limited functioned website or a sales office where you should book a *A award.
And fakeman, what do you mention by UI ?
ISTFlyer yeah, the hotline was useless. The website shows me the available flight, but like I mentioned, it doesn't let me get past the passenger details section. I am attempting a sales office but they aren't the most quick. Getting some response from the LA office.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ISTFlyer yeah, the hotline was useless. The website shows me the available flight, but like I mentioned, it doesn't let me get past the passenger details section. I am attempting a sales office but they aren't the most quick. Getting some response from the LA office.
Visiting a sales office in person would be the best way actually.
E-mailing them would take a lot of time.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA*G
Were you able to get past the passenger details screen after adding the companion online?
I got to the page were its allows to select the passenger but once I select the companion I cannot click through to the final payment page
once I switch back to the member I could click through to the payment page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.