Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sammyg901
Wiki Link
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 5, 19, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
It depends on the airline.
For example, United doesn't ask for any fuel surcharge.
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
It depends on the airline.
For example, United doesn't ask for any fuel surcharge.
Yes, I understand it varies by airline. But my point is they aren't charging the full fuel surcharge on certain routes at least if you look up the fare construction and YQ in ITA...
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by abcx View Post
Yes, I understand it varies by airline. But my point is they aren't charging the full fuel surcharge on certain routes at least if you look up the fare construction and YQ in ITA...
That's something good if they don't charge the fuel surcharge.
I am pretty sure that LH, LX, and OS is charging the whole fuel surcharge when booking through M&S. For Air India I am not sure. For LOT, I could tell that in my past *A booking with them, I was charged the whole fuel surcharge but it was an Intra-European flight rather than a long-haul one and things might have changed since then.
Old Dec 6, 19, 2:15 am

How do you book partner awards online? I no longer seem to find a way to do it. On the main flight booking page I can see a button for award flights, but this only shows TK flights. When I specify a route that TK doesn't fly, I just get an empty results page. What am I missing?

Shuly
Old Dec 6, 19, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abcx View Post
Does TK charge fuel surcharge (YQ or YR) on the following carriers: Air India, LOT, LH, LX, OS? Looking for an India to Europe routing.
They charge a very silly one on LH. Was quoted a $900 or USA - Asia booking.
Old Dec 6, 19, 3:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Platinum, TK Gold
Originally Posted by shuly View Post
How do you book partner awards online? I no longer seem to find a way to do it. On the main flight booking page I can see a button for award flights, but this only shows TK flights. When I specify a route that TK doesn't fly, I just get an empty results page. What am I missing?

Shuly
log into your account, go to “miles transactions” page. On the top right there will be a Star Alliance award ticket banner which will allow you to click for the partners booking system.

of course it is still buggy and far from functional system.

Last edited by MD/DC Flyer; Dec 6, 19 at 3:46 am
Old Dec 6, 19, 3:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Platinum, TK Gold
Originally Posted by soy View Post
Sad but probably inevitable outcome from months of hyping TK Sweet Spot awards from several blog sites....including advice to keep HUACA until you get what you want.
The sales offices are not staffed to support all this extra work, so its not surprising that we start to see them push back.
I agree that the bloggers have flooded the system. But that is the exact same response Iíve gotten a year ago when trying to book through sales office.

Frankly Iím not surprised. Visiting an office to book an award ticket it was clear they are not able to do anything through email. With a staff of 2 - of which I used one time for almost an hour with another paying customer taking the other time starting before I got there and continued after Iíve left it is not surprising that they have no ability to take care of award booking through email.
Old Dec 6, 19, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer View Post
log into your account, go to ďmiles transactionsĒ page. On the top right there will be a Star Alliance award ticket banner which will allow you to click for the partners booking system.

of course it is still buggy and far from functional system.
Thank you! What an odd place to hide this option... Oh well.

Shuly
Old Dec 13, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Trying to book a *A award to use up some miles expiring this month. The online tool is still very buggy and showed no availability. I called the call centre, who told me they can't book it and that I'd do it at the ticket office. I emailed the nearest ticket office who told me that they can't do it and I'd have to call the call centre. Great. After some frustrating back and forth I finally got the ticket office to agree that they could book it and that my route was valid, at which point they said that they couldn't see any availability. I've verified on both the AC and UA sites that there is award availability on those flights. Not sure what my options are now. Has anyone had a similar issue recently? Any suggestions?
Old Dec 13, 19, 9:25 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Trying to book a *A award to use up some miles expiring this month. The online tool is still very buggy and showed no availability. I called the call centre, who told me they can't book it and that I'd do it at the ticket office. I emailed the nearest ticket office who told me that they can't do it and I'd have to call the call centre. Great. After some frustrating back and forth I finally got the ticket office to agree that they could book it and that my route was valid, at which point they said that they couldn't see any availability. I've verified on both the AC and UA sites that there is award availability on those flights. Not sure what my options are now. Has anyone had a similar issue recently? Any suggestions?
I'd say turn up in person at the ticket office is the best option
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 19, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by soy View Post
I'd say turn up in person at the ticket office is the best option
Unfortunately the nearest office is 2700+ km away.
Old Dec 14, 19, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Email the LAX office R[email protected] . I have had success twice in the past month, and no failure. You will have to call in to make the payment and somehow that will take 15-20 minutes as they reconfirm everything. I just copied and pasted X space from united.com.

Hello,

Iím emailing to inquire about a Star Alliance award booking. As it is not possible to book this award online, Iím hoping you can confirm the number of miles required and any associated taxes or surcharges on the following itinerary:

Passenger: Jane Doe
Miles & Smiles Number: TK00000000 (account of Joe Doe)
Date: Dec 11, 2019
Class: Economy (X) all segments
Origin: CLE
Destination: SBA
Segments:
1) Cleveland, OH, US (CLE) to Chicago, IL, US (ORD)
7:40 am - 8:05 am (1h 25m)
UA 1270
2) Chicago, IL, US (ORD) to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)

10:11 am - 12:40 pm (4h 29m)
UA 531
3)Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Santa Barbara, CA, US (SBA)
2:40 pm - 3:32 pm (52m)
UA 5503

Again, Iím looking for both the number of miles required and the total cost of any taxes. Would like to make the booking ASAP.

I really appreciate your assistance!

Sincerely,
Joe
Old Dec 14, 19, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by moops380 View Post
Email the LAX office R[email protected] . I have had success twice in the past month, and no failure. You will have to call in to make the payment and somehow that will take 15-20 minutes as they reconfirm everything. I just copied and pasted X space from united.com.

Hello,

Iím emailing to inquire about a Star Alliance award booking. As it is not possible to book this award online, Iím hoping you can confirm the number of miles required and any associated taxes or surcharges on the following itinerary:

Passenger: Jane Doe
Miles & Smiles Number: TK00000000 (account of Joe Doe)
Date: Dec 11, 2019
Class: Economy (X) all segments
Origin: CLE
Destination: SBA
Segments:
1) Cleveland, OH, US (CLE) to Chicago, IL, US (ORD)
7:40 am - 8:05 am (1h 25m)
UA 1270
2) Chicago, IL, US (ORD) to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)

10:11 am - 12:40 pm (4h 29m)
UA 531
3)Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Santa Barbara, CA, US (SBA)
2:40 pm - 3:32 pm (52m)
UA 5503

Again, Iím looking for both the number of miles required and the total cost of any taxes. Would like to make the booking ASAP.

I really appreciate your assistance!

Sincerely,
Joe
This comes back usually in a day or so. and its on hold.

Dear Mr. Doe,

Here is your reservation.

Locator number: abcdef

You can purchase your ticket through our Call Center at 1-800-874-8875

Required miles : 7500

Taxes: 5.60USD

F Doe/JaneMS

abcdef 7DEC abcdef

1 UA1270 X WE 11DEC CLEORD HK1 0740 0805 E

2 UA 531 X WE 11DEC ORDLAX HK1 1011 1240 E

3 UA5503 X WE 11DEC LAXSBA HK1 1440 1532 E

FQ-1 A06DEC19 ET LA/SU XXX QLN T/ITA

2.CLE UA X/CHI UA X/LAX UA SBA75.00XBP00N1S/STAR

3.FARE FT USD 0.00TAX TOT XT 5.60 TOT USD 5.60

4. TAX USDDU EXEMPT TAX USDAY 5.60

5.S1-3 B0PC

6.T AWARDSTAR

Best regards.
Old Dec 14, 19, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by moops380 View Post
Great suggestion, I didnít even think to try other ticket offices. Just sent an email. Thanks, moops380!
Old Dec 14, 19, 9:01 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Hi All,

I am attempting to move miles into a family account to pool them (this has been interesting) at which point I will have just over 99K miles.
Once they are pooled I am hoping to do to get the following award tickets
MCO or MIA to HNL flexible dates but say Jan 1 - Jan 30 ( On UA this should be 25,000 miles round-trip right?)
and another from HNL to CHC or AKL from say Jan 5- Jan 25. (50 K miles on Air NZ? or UA?)

Would that be possible in reality or just in theory?
Would I be able to request them all at once?
I'd like to try to do it via e-mail but I can go to Miami office if necessary.

Search this Thread