Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NickatFM
If I can, I'll tag one more question: What are the routing rules apart from 4 segments on a one-way? From what I've read, there's no MPM and backtracking is OK. Is there a max connect time? Possible I'm just going over that and can adjust something in between.
i think the rule is actually 3 segments on a one-way. i tried really hard (4+ hours, 3 sales offices including one in person, many many phone calls) to ticket TNR-IST/ADD-MAD- BOG-MDE on a single ticket, and nobody was able to price it. TNR-IST/ADD-MAD-BOG priced just fine and was issued in <10 mins.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: M&M FTL, TK*EPL, A3*G, HH Diamond
Hey guys,

Recently I wanted to book some flights mentioned above, for example SYD-ICN-HNL, business class on Asiana Airlines for May/June next Year. I double checked on United and ANA website, it seemed available. As suggested above, I tried to use Stockholm ticket office instead of useless customer care.
Unfortunately I've just got response that, basically, nothing is available (even if it's stil available on United/ANA/Miles More).
Then I tried to book some other flights from SYD to Europe (LHR/CDG) I picked, but same situation as above. It's available everywhere but in Miles & Smiles.

Just curious if you've got any suggestions? Should I try to pick earlier dates, maybe different office? I'm not in a hurry, but I really wanted to burn some miles this year.
Thanks!

Last edited by pull_over; Jul 9, 2019 at 4:15 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by pull_over
It's available everywhere but in Miles & More.
M&M or M&S?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by flyerby

M&M or M&S?
M&S, obviously. Sorry, already edited.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
M&S, obviously. Sorry, already edited.
I know the hotline does not have the best reputation but have you tried them? The last few times I was pleasantly surprised and was able to book and pay for Star Alliance awards. I called the international/English line.
Tell the agent exactly the flight numbers you want to book. The agent I spoke with initially didn't see availability but then "refreshed" his screen (whatever that means) and then saw lots of availability.
Maybe worth a try ..
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

I know the hotline does not have the best reputation but have you tried them? The last few times I was pleasantly surprised and was able to book and pay for Star Alliance awards. I called the international/English line.
I just called the hotline, and you are right. I fed the agent the specific Star Alliance flight I wanted and she found it available and quoted me the (awesome) M&S price. If I had some miles in my account (which I will very shortly) she would have booked the flight for me over the phone right then.
GwailoSIN and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Paul5795
I just called the hotline, and you are right. I fed the agent the specific Star Alliance flight I wanted and she found it available and quoted me the (awesome) M&S price. If I had some miles in my account (which I will very shortly) she would have booked the flight for me over the phone right then.
Nice, glad to hear the hotline seems to improve
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Paul5795
Which hotline did you call?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

Tell the agent exactly the flight numbers you want to book. The agent I spoke with initially didn't see availability but then "refreshed" his screen (whatever that means) and then saw lots of availability.
Maybe worth a try ..
I tried it yesterday but with same result. Nothing was available in business, basically the girl looked through whole March, April, May and June and she claimed there's nothing available to fly from SYD to HNL and from SYD to Europe. Pretty sad as I managed to collect more than 200k miles in Turkish but they seem useless, but I'll try to call again few times in this week.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I tried it yesterday but with same result. Nothing was available in business, basically the girl looked through whole March, April, May and June and she claimed there's nothing available to fly from SYD to HNL and from SYD to Europe. Pretty sad as I managed to collect more than 200k miles in Turkish but they seem useless, but I'll try to call again few times in this week.
Checking availability via united.com helps a lot when you need availability in routes with high demand. It doesn't require a MileagePlus membership and you could simply look at Star Alliance Award Availability via the "Book with Miles option". All Economy Saver and Business Saver awards that United offers to their own members should be offered by TK to their own members.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by extremeromance
Which hotline did you call?
Just a remark that all English-speaking TK call centers use a pool system so if you're looking help in English, the Turkish number +90 444 0 849, the USA number, the UK number or etc... would make no difference.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Checking availability via united.com helps a lot when you need availability in routes with high demand. It doesn't require a MileagePlus membership and you could simply look at Star Alliance Award Availability via the "Book with Miles option". All Economy Saver and Business Saver awards that United offers to their own members should be offered by TK to their own members.
Correct. As mentioned in my first post, I searched few routes using United and double checked with Miles & More. Those flights were available (Biz saver on United) in other programs, but when I called or e-mailed Turkish they told me they don't even see those flights, not to mention they don't see any seats available (for some reason the lady from service center told me I could fly onboard Turkish Airlines BUT there are no seats in biz; not sure why I should care?)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. As mentioned in my first post, I searched few routes using United and double checked with Miles & More. Those flights were available (Biz saver on United) in other programs, but when I called or e-mailed Turkish they told me they don't even see those flights, not to mention they don't see any seats available (for some reason the lady from service center told me I could fly onboard Turkish Airlines BUT there are no seats in biz; not sure why I should care?)
Haven't noticed your first post. Sorry about that.
If there is still availability via United MP or/and Lufthansa M&M and if you are close to a local sales office, I would suggest you try your luck over there.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Haven't noticed your first post. Sorry about that.
If there is still availability via United MP or/and Lufthansa M&M and if you are close to a local sales office, I would suggest you try your luck over there.
No worries! Just wanted to know if you know any tips how to book such flights or maybe you know some additional constraints, like some airlines or dates or cabin class
I'll check Turkish Office next month when I'll be traveling across Europe, but I tried to reach few offices by phone or e-mail (Stockholm, Washington) and it seems they have exactly the same availability.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No worries! Just wanted to know if you know any tips how to book such flights or maybe you know some additional constraints, like some airlines or dates or cabin class
I'll check Turkish Office next month when I'll be traveling across Europe, but I tried to reach few offices by phone or e-mail (Stockholm, Washington) and it seems they have exactly the same availability.
AFAIK, there is an issue with Miles&Smiles booking United and Air Canada award tickets. I am not sure if it's TK blocking or the partner airline blocking those spaces for Miles&Smiles members.
From my own experiences, the easiest airlines to find availability on Miles&Smiles are LOT Polish and EVA Air.
Lufthansa Group, Singapore Airlines, United, Air Canada are the hardest partners to book. I am not sure about Air China or ANA but they're also hard to find availability.

Also, some airlines do open extra space at a closer date to the flight for Star Alliance awards ( Saver ) when the loads are less than expected.

Also, a tip for connecting itineraries would be that try to book each segment separately. In some cases, that works while two flights in a single ticket don't work. However, it might not be worth the pain for rechecking bags, clearing immigration ( if necessary ), etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.