Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
I have been trying to get a one way YYZ-YVR award ticket fee payment processed, got the business class award for 12,500 Miles through the call Center, but the Toronto office refuses to complete the transaction by email citing “fraud issues” and require payment in person at their office. They do not answer the phone. They did tell me the taxes and fees are C$78.

I then emailed the LA sales office, as I had successfully booked 3 tickets with them in prior years, though the last time was in 2015 and the person I dealt with has since left. Now they tell me the taxes are $368, not saying if US or C$, and to contact the useless Toronto office. I am surprised people were able to pay by email with the Toronto office per prior posts, as that office never replied to any of my emails in prior years (which is why I transacted with LA) and as usual they never pick up the phone.

TK - in the air it is great, on the ground it sucks (except for the CIP lounge at IST)
Old May 3, 2018, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I had good success with the Sydney Australia sales office. You can do it all via email.
Thank you for this recommendation! I contacted them and they found the seats I was looking for (AMS-LIS-PDL on TP) and booked them. I have sent the payment and now I am waiting for the ticket to be issued. It will take a few days for the payment to reach them I believe. Payment is only through bank transfer.

Word of warning: if anyone else is considering using the SYD office please note that they require payment of the taxes by the end of the business day, that's 4pm Sydney time. It might get inconvenient depending on your timezone.

They couldn't add an an infant to the booking and said I should contact TP, I'm not completely sure this is correct but I'll give it a shot, worst case I'll cancel the tickets.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:23 pm

An update to my post in #226 ,I emailed the person I used to deal with at the LA sales office and he got the Toronto office to process my payment after they forwarded the forms to me for signature. C$83 plus 12,500 miles for a domestic one way biz award on an AC 787.
FFlash likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by tobegold
An update to my post in #226 ,I emailed the person I used to deal with at the LA sales office and he got the Toronto office to process my payment after they forwarded the forms to me for signature. C$83 plus 12,500 miles for a domestic one way biz award on an AC 787.
Did they allow you to pay with a credit card or was it only via bank transfer?
Old May 5, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Did they allow you to pay with a credit card or was it only via bank transfer?
paid by credit card
Old May 5, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by tobegold
PM'd for more info
Old May 6, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Wrote to LAX office and got a reply telling me to call the call center!
Old May 7, 2018, 1:24 am

Bank transfer cleared and the SYD office quickly issued the tickets.

Two J redemption AMS-LIS-PDL R/T in J on TP/TP for 60k miles (bargain) and 500€ (less bargain). By comparison revenue tickets in J run currently at 2000€, while Miles and More wanted 140k miles and the same 500€.

Very happy overall.

EDIT: For anyone interested, I also managed to add an infant to the reservation. I had to call TP and ask to "purchase an infant ticket". Asking to modify the existing reservation with an infant was met with a "sorry we didn't issue this ticket so we won't touch it".

Last edited by malmostoso; May 7, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old May 7, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if TK has less award seats compared to UA award savers? I was trying to find award seats but IAH offices priced it segment by segment and ended up a single from Europe to Asia 100k per ticket! When I asked about the capacity control ticket she said there isn't - but it's available at UA.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Does anyone know if TK has less award seats compared to UA award savers? I was trying to find award seats but IAH offices priced it segment by segment and ended up a single from Europe to Asia 100k per ticket! When I asked about the capacity control ticket she said there isn't - but it's available at UA.
What route and airlines are we talking about? If you look at the first message in this thread it appears that you cannot mix *A carriers, or the award prices segment by segment.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by malmostoso
What route and airlines are we talking about? If you look at the first message in this thread it appears that you cannot mix *A carriers, or the award prices segment by segment.
Except for TK (i. e. can mix TK with one another *A carrier) and cannot mix different classes.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I didn't realise that because I used UA award savers to check for availability. I'm talking about LH and TG. I need to depart from either HAM or BLL to Japan. I know TK flies to both but there's no award seats available.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by flyerby

Except for TK (i. e. can mix TK with one another *A carrier) and cannot mix different classes.
What if you book a J award with two flights, one of which is an all Y configuration?
Old May 8, 2018, 10:01 am

What if you book a J award with two flights, one of which is an all Y configuration?
That would probably count as mixed class which is explicitly not allowed, so it would price as two awards.
Tifosi likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
If one of the flights is a short haul one then I would just by a cheap eco ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.