Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Old Mar 7, 18, 3:48 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN View Post
Thanks! So did you pay for a star alliance award? How did you book it? Which number (local HK number or US or...??
You can email them and get the itinerary set up and then go there to pay for your trip.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: TK Gold
Thanks! So did you pay for a star alliance award? How did you book it? Which number (local HK number or US or...??
I based in HK and I paid them by cash. I think they also accept alternative payment method. Booked one award J class with Asiana to Germany and one award Econ with SQ from PEK to HKG via SIN (stopover 13 hours). I'd advise you call them or check the availability in advance and it makes the process much quicker. Recently I was in there to collect my EMD and the process is quick.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
You can email them and get the itinerary set up and then go there to pay for your trip.
Moreover, yes, they are quite competent in email correspondence. Will get back to you quite soon.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Great, what email address and how long do they usually take to respond?
Old Mar 8, 18, 5:01 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Great, what email address and how long do they usually take to respond?
You can use the address stated at thy.com and they will respond within 1 working day.
Old Mar 26, 18, 12:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Tried to book for my partner today for Stockholm-Miami in business class on Star Alliance. The first 2 times I called the Stockholm number, they told me that the system was down and to call back after an hour. The third time I called, the system was okay and was helped by a friendly agent. I had earlier checked the UA website for availability and gave her the LX flights but she could only see economy class seat on the ZRH-MIA leg. I told her to check again but still none. Ended up using the 90K miles booking on TK's website (flying on TK) with destination Boston instead, plus taxes of about 4600kr.

I think I read somewhere about Star Alliance coming up with a web-program where all Star Alliance members can book their award trip from the Star Alliance website by the end of this year. That would definitely ease the way of redeeming TK miles
Old Mar 26, 18, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler View Post

I think I read somewhere about Star Alliance coming up with a web-program where all Star Alliance members can book their award trip from the Star Alliance website by the end of this year. That would definitely ease the way of redeeming TK miles
I found the Stockholm office to be useless. I even went there face to face.

I dream of the day that Star Alliance creates an award booking site. It would take so much pain out of the TK M&S relationship.
Old Mar 27, 18, 2:07 am

Programs: TK*G, oneworld Sapphire, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler View Post
I dream of that day too.

That was mentioned here by their CEO.

In loyalty, improvements have already been implemented using IT Hub technologies. This includes, for example, a speedier crediting of mileage after a flight, as well as enabling customers to claim all missing mileage from Star Alliance member airline flights online, via the customerís respective Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP). By the end of 2018, these member carrier FFP websites will allow customers to check flight availability and book redemption seats online for flights operated by all 28 Star Alliance member airlines.
Old Mar 28, 18, 1:15 am

I can't even register for Miles&Smiles. I tried the new website (multiple browsers) but didn't work. Then I registered using the old website. That worked but cannot login. Seems they indeed have to fix a lot of IT-issues.
Old Mar 28, 18, 3:55 am

https://muaenduser.staralliance.com/...tremarks=false

Enjoy
This is the self upgrade option. Plug in flight info and airline you wish to do a *A upgrade award for and if available they will process the upgrade directly.

Last edited by nickkilla; Mar 28, 18 at 3:57 am Reason: Add info
Old Mar 28, 18, 9:25 am

TK award booking on ANA

Just completed an award booking process on ANa, Narita - JFK for 67,5K miles and $160 in taxes.

Citi to TK transfer took 24 hours. Emailed NYC JFK office; got a reply in 36 hours. Did two forms, sent them a copy of the credit card and DL. Ticket issued within an hour of providing the forms to the JFK TK office.

While I was waiting for JFK office to reply, I called the Tokyo office. They said they do not accept the credit card and require a bank transfer to pay for the taxes. Ridiculous!
Old Mar 29, 18, 8:00 am

I can't even register for Miles&Smiles. I tried the new website (multiple browsers) but didn't work. Then I registered using the old website. That worked but cannot login. Seems they indeed have to fix a lot of IT-issues.
I had a nightmare time signing up for Miles&Smiles. Total nightmare. Inside the app the login shows at TK (number), but for the site it is just your number. Make sure there are no errant spaces at the beginning or the end. I was finally able to login the new website after several tries, and finally resetting my password (even though my password worked fine on the app).

My biggest concern now is whether I should credit my two upcoming long-hauls in J to Miles&Smiles or Singapore. Still trying to decide on that.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old May 2, 18, 11:56 am

I'm trying to book my first award using TK miles and as expected it's being rather difficult. My local sales office AMS didn't even try to help and redirected me to the call centre. I called three agents and they are adamant that they can only book TK flights and not *A partners. One even suggested I should call the *A partner to book my award... Flights are available as confirmed on UA, AC, NH, and LH, but TK agents want to route me through IST for a flight to Portugal.

Can anyone recommend a TK sales office that could help me?

Thank you!
Old May 2, 18, 12:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
I'm trying to book my first award using TK miles and as expected it's being rather difficult. My local sales office AMS didn't even try to help and redirected me to the call centre. I called three agents and they are adamant that they can only book TK flights and not *A partners. One even suggested I should call the *A partner to book my award... Flights are available as confirmed on UA, AC, NH, and LH, but TK agents want to route me through IST for a flight to Portugal.

Can anyone recommend a TK sales office that could help me?

Thank you!
just HUCA with the main office, Iíve had to do it maaaaaany times.
Old May 2, 18, 1:31 pm

I had good success with the Sydney Australia sales office. You can do it all via email.

Search this Thread