FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   APIS and ESTA in Turkish Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1723984-apis-esta-turkish-airlines.html)

MrJBoy Sep 8, 12 1:16 pm

APIS?
 
I'm looking at my reservation at their website.
There is a place called APIS under ticket number.
When I click on it, it shows my information incorrectly.
I tried to correct them, but I need to fill all information to go to the next screen.
I don't need VISA to enter Turkey, but is this info for US immigration?

headhunterke Sep 9, 12 4:20 pm

Do you have an onward flight out of Turkey? Normally, Turkey doesn't require do pass on APIS. They however often do if you have a connecting flight, depending on the destination.

makhdoom Sep 9, 12 6:07 pm


Originally Posted by MrJBoy (Post 19278020)
I don't need VISA to enter Turkey, but is this info for US immigration?

Yes, for US immigration / Customs and Border Patrol.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/..._factsheet.pdf

headhunterke Sep 9, 12 8:28 pm

I didn't know CBP also needed API for outbound flights. Again learned something new ;)

MrJBoy Sep 10, 12 4:38 pm


Originally Posted by headhunterke (Post 19283863)
Do you have an onward flight out of Turkey? Normally, Turkey doesn't require do pass on APIS. They however often do if you have a connecting flight, depending on the destination.

Yes, I continue to NRT the next day.

FlyingOnceMore Sep 10, 12 5:56 pm

I did GRU-IST-DUB the other day and the check-in desk did it all. Must have taken him two minutes of typing to get it all done. So it's APIS, kinda sort of; just not very much in 'Advance'

headhunterke Sep 10, 12 6:41 pm

It means Advanced Passport Information, not advance ;-)
And yes, you don't need to do it in advance, the agent does need to swipe the passport anyway in pretty much most of the cases. Or if he's unlucky and has a regular passport, need to type it :D

FlyingOnceMore Sep 10, 12 7:04 pm

APIS: Advance Passenger Information System (Dept of Homeland Security website)
APIS: Advanced Passenger Information System (U.S. Customs and Border Protection website)
API: Advance Passenger Information (UK Border Agency)

etc. etc....

Even Washington can''t decide on the meaning of one acronym!

I do have a swipe and chip in my passport but he still had to do it the tap, tap, tap old fashioned way. I'm not even sure his keyboard actually had a swipe slot.....

headhunterke Sep 10, 12 7:54 pm

I know here in Europe we call it Advanced ;-)
Whatever, it's just the data of the passport, regardless what you call it.
Those keyboards tend to refuse operation far too much (at least the ones we have) and that's darn frustrating. Or even more frustrating is when your swipe actually does work and you get an old fashioned passport without readable info and are forced to type everything. I shiver when I see people from Morocco in my line as half of those passports still aren't able to swipe. The horror... :p

starflyergold Sep 11, 12 12:41 am


Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 19291190)
APIS: Advance Passenger Information System (Dept of Homeland Security website)
APIS: Advanced Passenger Information System (U.S. Customs and Border Protection website)
API: Advance Passenger Information (UK Border Agency)

etc. etc....

http://bit.ly/OmRoAU :D

luziferccc Nov 2, 15 8:25 am

APIS information - help
 
Hi everyone
So I just booked a flight with Turkish from HAM to SFO via IST.
As we all know the USA require APIS data I think 72hours befor the flight.
Now I am logging into the booking on the Turkish Airlines Homepage and cannot enter the data (the customer service lady on the phone couldn't understand my problem)

- I can enter my personal data, passport information, current address, and address in the the usa just fine but now comes my problem:

They want me to fill out visa information before I can click to the next page or save the information. Problem is that I am traveling on the Visa Waiver Program, so there is no visa with visa number, etc.
I did get the ESTA approval which is another thing and not relevant for APIS.
What do I do now? Any ideas on how that can be solved? I mean, if I cannot enter the information 72hours before the flight I'll have a problem?

TlvLove Nov 2, 15 9:09 am

Hi Luzifer, welcome to FT. had similar problems in the past, entered everything but VISA data but couldn't save it. TKs WEB/IT system is quirky...
two things you can do : 1) try accessing it with another browser
2) dont panic - TK check in staff at counter in HAM will probably verify your APIS data before boarding HAM-IST, and if they don't - someone at IST surely will.
TK flights IST-SFO usually do additional passport checks at boarding gate for APIS/VISA.

bon voyage

duvin Nov 2, 15 10:32 pm


Originally Posted by luziferccc (Post 25651018)
Hi everyone
So I just booked a flight with Turkish from HAM to SFO via IST.
As we all know the USA require APIS data I think 72hours befor the flight.
Now I am logging into the booking on the Turkish Airlines Homepage and cannot enter the data (the customer service lady on the phone couldn't understand my problem)

- I can enter my personal data, passport information, current address, and address in the the usa just fine but now comes my problem:

They want me to fill out visa information before I can click to the next page or save the information. Problem is that I am traveling on the Visa Waiver Program, so there is no visa with visa number, etc.
I did get the ESTA approval which is another thing and not relevant for APIS.
What do I do now? Any ideas on how that can be solved? I mean, if I cannot enter the information 72hours before the flight I'll have a problem?

Your data will be entered during checkin (either online or by an agent). The APIS data page for reservations doesn't work for anyone.

olko Nov 12, 15 10:29 am

APIS and ESTA in Turkish Airlines
 
Hello, I just booked a Turkish Airlines flight BUD -> IST -> JFK and I want to fill APIS information in my bookings menu, but there is only Visa Info option and I am going to USA on ESTA. I cant enter my ESTA number, it wont let me click on Next. What should I do? As far as I know, APIS is required while flying to US.

Thank you very much

Ocn Vw 1K Nov 12, 15 10:33 am

olko, welcome to FlyerTalk! As your concern appears to be with Turkish Airlines' booking engine, let me move this to that airline's own FlyerTalk forum, for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

airoli Nov 12, 15 11:03 am

This is being answered here. I suggest continuing the discussion over there.

starflyergold Nov 12, 15 2:42 pm


Originally Posted by olko (Post 25702971)
Hello, I just booked a Turkish Airlines flight BUD -> IST -> JFK and I want to fill APIS information in my bookings menu, but there is only Visa Info option and I am going to USA on ESTA. I cant enter my ESTA number, it wont let me click on Next. What should I do? As far as I know, APIS is required while flying to US.

Thank you very much

Welcome to FT and the TK forum. You can enter all of this at check in. No need to do it in advance.

olko Dec 14, 15 11:50 pm

Thank you
 
Thank you for your responses, you helped me alot.

nacho Dec 15, 15 1:31 am


Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 25704503)
Welcome to FT and the TK forum. You can enter all of this at check in. No need to do it in advance.

Do you mean OLCI? OR it's easier if I do that when I physically checking in at the airport?

We are 5 people travelling and I found entering that information 5 times is brutal (mostly due to TK's IT system).

starflyergold Dec 15, 15 1:47 am


Originally Posted by nacho (Post 25866027)
Do you mean OLCI? OR it's easier if I do that when I physically checking in at the airport?

We are 5 people travelling and I found entering that information 5 times is brutal (mostly due to TK's IT system).

It's easier at the airport, let the agent do the typing. :D

nacho Dec 16, 15 1:26 am


Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 25866061)
It's easier at the airport, let the agent do the typing. :D

Last time we were scolded by an agent for not doing it online at CPH :td:

It's not my "duty" to do it before, right?

LH4116 Dec 16, 15 1:59 pm

When booking your ticket to the USA, you'll be asked to enter your passport information just before the payment stage.

nacho Dec 17, 15 1:26 am


Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 25874819)
When booking your ticket to the USA, you'll be asked to enter your passport information just before the payment stage.

Booked through OTA so no one asked me for anything. 1 C award ticket is booked through TK online but again never ask for passport info - ticketed at TK HKG office, again nothing about passport info.

Ardecos Dec 19, 15 5:50 am

TK seem to have a bit of a problem with documentation for international arrivals. I arrived in Taipei this evening from Istanbul and during the flight the FAs handed out visa application forms for entry to Taiwan. Fortunately, I have been to Taiwan before and knew that this was nonsense for many people (I am from the UK and so I am visa-exempt) and the visa form also asked for two passport photos, as if many people boarding a flight have a stock of passport photos in their hand luggage. Anyway, at Taipei I collected a landing card (not handed out by TK on the flight) and had no problems with immigration. However, I noticed many less fortunate people handing over the visa form and being told to go away and fill in a landing card.

Palmer Oct 12, 16 2:12 pm

TK still don't appear to have sorted this issue. I am unable to proceed from this page because it requires details of my visa. I don't have a visa. My passport falls under the Visa Waiver Program. I don't have that information.

I don't particularly want to faff around at an airport check-in desk. I travel with hand baggage only and avoid any sort of transactions or queues etc. at desks, preferring to go directly to security. I'll be connecting to TK airside in any event.

Can this be done over the phone or the at the gate?

Palmer

nacho Oct 13, 16 2:12 am

Going to the US with TK hasn't been that easy for us - not sure because we travelled with kids.

When we got to IST - at the gate to IAH flight we were asked for our return tickets print out. I said I have it electronically and he could also call the PNRs to see the e-tickets. Then he said where's our ESTA approval print out - I said we don't print it out as you can also see if it's approved or not. I had a screenshot in my laptop and I told him that I can show him that if he needs to. He called someone and after a while he let us through.

Then of course we were subjected to extra screening - all the pax with kids were told to do secondary screening. I flew with SK ex-CPH and none of this ever happened to us.

miamiflyer8 Oct 20, 16 4:11 am


Originally Posted by nacho (Post 27339982)
Going to the US with TK hasn't been that easy for us - not sure because we travelled with kids.

When we got to IST - at the gate to IAH flight we were asked for our return tickets print out. I said I have it electronically and he could also call the PNRs to see the e-tickets. Then he said where's our ESTA approval print out - I said we don't print it out as you can also see if it's approved or not. I had a screenshot in my laptop and I told him that I can show him that if he needs to. He called someone and after a while he let us through.

Then of course we were subjected to extra screening - all the pax with kids were told to do secondary screening. I flew with SK ex-CPH and none of this ever happened to us.

I agree, transiting from the EU to the US is tiring. When we landed we were directed to transit security even if EU arrivals are clean and there was a Gözen rep. manning the airside passage, he asked where I was going and I said "Miami". He then told me to proceed thru the transit checkpoint "Because US flight".


Well security was breeze but what was going on at the gate pain in the a**. When I got there, both TK and Gözen security had to do the visa check and ended up with 4 stickers on my passport. And of course return tickets and esta printouts and blood samples were asked for.

After that came a counter you had to give your bp and passport and his job was to make sure you have all the stickers and direct you to secondary screening if you're SSSS or you look suspicious.

As luck would have it I got SSSS on my bp which also sent me to secondary at the gate and that took around 10 mins where they swabbed my hands for explosives and searched every crevice of my backpack.

Suffice to say from getting to the gate to the plane was an hour long process even if you had fast lane access.

nacho Oct 20, 16 12:22 pm


Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 27370313)
I agree, transiting from the EU to the US is tiring. When we landed we were directed to transit security even if EU arrivals are clean and there was a Gözen rep. manning the airside passage, he asked where I was going and I said "Miami". He then told me to proceed thru the transit checkpoint "Because US flight".


Well security was breeze but what was going on at the gate pain in the a**. When I got there, both TK and Gözen security had to do the visa check and ended up with 4 stickers on my passport. And of course return tickets and esta printouts and blood samples were asked for.

After that came a counter you had to give your bp and passport and his job was to make sure you have all the stickers and direct you to secondary screening if you're SSSS or you look suspicious.

As luck would have it I got SSSS on my bp which also sent me to secondary at the gate and that took around 10 mins where they swabbed my hands for explosives and searched every crevice of my backpack.

Suffice to say from getting to the gate to the plane was an hour long process even if you had fast lane access.

Really don't understand the ordeal about flying to the US from IST. Once those stupid Gozen forgot to put a sticker on one of our passports - we were stopped at the jetway after 3 various screenings. Fortunately we didn't have to go back and they just told us to wait and put back that stupid sticker on the back on one of the passports.

Flying SK ex-CPH was a breeze compared to this - really don't understand the reason behind this insane security.

miamiflyer8 Oct 20, 16 1:31 pm


Originally Posted by nacho (Post 27372058)
Really don't understand the ordeal about flying to the US from IST. Once those stupid Gozen forgot to put a sticker on one of our passports - we were stopped at the jetway after 3 various screenings. Fortunately we didn't have to go back and they just told us to wait and put back that stupid sticker on the back on one of the passports.

Flying SK ex-CPH was a breeze compared to this - really don't understand the reason behind this insane security.

Well for me it was the cheap fare and the lounge that attracted me.

danielonn Oct 21, 16 6:05 pm

Usually I can add the Advanced Passenger Information along with my passport# after booking my reservation and I do this via the airline's website when I go to select the seats and request special meals etc.

The machine readable passports store all the information and the Ticket Counter Agent swipes the passport which will populate the information on the screen confirming if its all correct. Then the Agent presses a key to spit out the boarding passes with an "API or DOCS OK" message so you will not need to present yourself at the gate.

The API information needs to be entered in advance of boarding the flight whether you do it yourself online after purchase, during online checkin or at the airport it just needs to be done before you board as the manifest is then sent to the proper authorities at US Customs, Department of Homeland Security, European authorities.

If you are on a no fly list the system will show an error message like"API Error" or Passenger Error" cannot proceed with cehckin or Enter Redress# with a supervisor needing to be called who will then in turn call the authorities to validate or deny your travel.

As for ESTA when you go online to get your ESTA its linked to your passport. This must be done at least 72 hours prior to travel. While you may be able to get it later than that I would not risk it. The agent will see that your ESTA has been approved. If you do not have an ESTA or if its not approved you will then be denied boarding and you may be switched to a later flight while you work out the issue.

I hope this helps.

danielonn Oct 21, 16 6:09 pm


Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 27337814)
TK still don't appear to have sorted this issue. I am unable to proceed from this page because it requires details of my visa. I don't have a visa. My passport falls under the Visa Waiver Program. I don't have that information.

I don't particularly want to faff around at an airport check-in desk. I travel with hand baggage only and avoid any sort of transactions or queues etc. at desks, preferring to go directly to security. I'll be connecting to TK airside in any event.

Can this be done over the phone or the at the gate?

Palmer


I would be doing this over the phone Palmer before you arrive at the airport as you never can tell how long the queues will be. I would want full confirmation of my ESTA and API before I travel rather than be denied boarding or delayed.

Palmer Oct 23, 16 11:49 am


Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 27377518)
I would be doing this over the phone Palmer before you arrive at the airport as you never can tell how long the queues will be. I would want full confirmation of my ESTA and API before I travel rather than be denied boarding or delayed.

Thank you.

I'll give TK a call during the week when I get a minute. I tried to access my booking from my Miles & Smiles account to see if there was anyway of linking the two and in the hope that the information might be stored somewhere from a previous booking but it doesn't appear possible. I can't recall what information I entered when I booked - but I did book directly with TK online.

I've had my latest ESTA since July and I travelled to New York in August, so the ESTA shouldn't be an issue.

Palmer

Palmer Oct 26, 16 5:14 am


Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 27383097)
I'll give TK a call during the week when I get a minute.

I've just got off the phone with TK. I didn't get very far. I asked three times for the customer service representative to update my reservation with my passport details. I explained twice that I couldn't do this online and that I wanted to enter my APIS details (I explained APIS and why it was required).

The CS rep said that as long as my date of birth was in the reservation then I was 'good to go' and 'nothing else is required'. He did confirm my date of birth.

I couldn't get him to budge on entering any other data even though I emphasised that the information was required for entry into the USA. I did a dummy booking yesterday on the TK website. It didn't ask for my passport details at any point before I got to the payment page. I'm quite certain that TK don't have this information.

I'll just have to sort it out at the airport.

Palmer

miamiflyer8 Oct 26, 16 9:26 am


Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 27394564)
I've just got off the phone with TK. I didn't get very far. I asked three times for the customer service representative to update my reservation with my passport details. I explained twice that I couldn't do this online and that I wanted to enter my APIS details (I explained APIS and why it was required).

The CS rep said that as long as my date of birth was in the reservation then I was 'good to go' and 'nothing else is required'. He did confirm my date of birth.

I couldn't get him to budge on entering any other data even though I emphasised that the information was required for entry into the USA. I did a dummy booking yesterday on the TK website. It didn't ask for my passport details at any point before I got to the payment page. I'm quite certain that TK don't have this information.
I'll just have to sort it out at the airport.

Palmer

The TK call center is horrible and I can feel your pain. From misleading information to not willing to cooperate, I've heard it all.

EfendiCandee Feb 8, 17 12:50 am

Apis
 
Hello
In apis form on Turkish airlines site there is box where it says apis.label.visacity/en. I really dont know what does it mean.
anybody with same problem so far.
just for in i fly to usa.
tnx

miamiflyer8 Feb 8, 17 12:54 am


Originally Posted by EfendiCandee (Post 27880582)
Hello
In apis form on Turkish airlines site there is box where it says apis.label.visacity/en. I really dont know what does it mean.
anybody with same problem so far.
just for in i fly to usa.
tnx

Welcome to FT and the TK forums, EfendiCandee!

To better assist you, would you please post a screenshot of the issue.

EfendiCandee Feb 9, 17 3:39 am

1 Attachment(s)
This is screenshot of APIS form, for Turkish Airlines

miamiflyer8 Feb 9, 17 3:41 am


Originally Posted by EfendiCandee (Post 27885566)
This is screenshot of APIS form, for Turkish Airlines

The first field is to enter in where the visa was issued.

The other one is your home address.

EfendiCandee Feb 9, 17 8:44 am

Tnx for quick answer, but I still don't get it:
In box VISA INFO, "Valid Country" - I should write here the country where the visa is issued, or country where I go to ( USA )
In box VISA INFO, "apis.label.visacity/en" - What should I write here???? J have no idea by the description.
In box "apis.legend.residenceaddress/en" - Here I should write my personal address from my passport??? But the problem is when I choose my country in field, in the field for "state" it only gives me states in USA.


tnx in advance

duvin Feb 9, 17 12:46 pm


Originally Posted by EfendiCandee (Post 27886475)
Tnx for quick answer, but I still don't get it:
In box VISA INFO, "Valid Country" - I should write here the country where the visa is issued, or country where I go to ( USA )
In box VISA INFO, "apis.label.visacity/en" - What should I write here???? J have no idea by the description.
In box "apis.legend.residenceaddress/en" - Here I should write my personal address from my passport??? But the problem is when I choose my country in field, in the field for "state" it only gives me states in USA.


tnx in advance

The APIS info page has never worked properly for me (Visa-free travel). they've always entered the passport details at check-in.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:29 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.