Search

Turkish vs Qatar Airlines - Economy class

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Le Accor Silver, Marriott Plat
Turkish vs Qatar Airlines - Economy class

Hi Fellow FT'ers,

I will by flying with my Mrs for a work/holiday trip from Singapore to Barcelona in August 2015.

I have narrowed down our options down to:

Turkish: SIN-IST A330 // ISN-BCN A330 (18:10 hrs / 23:00 hrs)
Qatar: SIN-DOH A350 // DOH-BCN A330 (17:45 hrs / 15:45 hrs)

Qatar:

Pro TK:
- Flexible changes cost cheaper (40 eur) vs QR (200 usd)
- 13,500+bonus Miles earned for my KF *A (But do not need the miles for status)
- Lounge access + *A Gold benefits

Pro QR:
- Cheaper tickets (by $360USD per tix)
- Shorter flight time for return leg (7 hrs!)

I think it's a pretty close decision. Appreciate any feedback you can give on the difference one might experience on economy.

Quick question also is how easy could it be for us to use the 7 hour layover to take a quick visit in Istanbul?

Thanks a milly!
Old May 17, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: TK*G
IDK about the price and other details(mileage earning etc), but according to the ITA Matrix there should be a shorter connection on TK for the return flight (17h 45m).

There is also a 17h0m option connecting to SQ IST-SIN after a TK BCN-IST flight.
If you can book one of those, TK should be the winner in this comparison IMHO.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Personally, unless I'm flying J/F, I'd go with a carrier/alliance where I have a status on, mainly because:

1. You get priority over non-status pax during IRROPS
2. LOUNGES: A decent place to relax before, during and after your flight, most of them featuring showers, which comes in handy when you are arriving very early and have to go straight to a meeting/can only check-in at the hotel in the afternoon!!
Old May 17, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I would go for the airline where I have status. Another negative for QR is the apparent bad working conditions for their DOH-employees: http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/the-...qatar-airways/
Old May 17, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Personally, unless I'm flying J/F, I'd go with a carrier/alliance where I have a status on, mainly because:
1. You get priority over non-status pax during IRROPS
Not sure how much of that you'll get on TK (and I like them!).
Old May 17, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Definitely TK in my experience.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by BryanHuang
Hi Fellow FT'ers,

I will by flying with my Mrs for a work/holiday trip from Singapore to Barcelona in August 2015.

I have narrowed down our options down to:

Turkish: SIN-IST A330 // ISN-BCN A330 (18:10 hrs / 23:00 hrs)
Qatar: SIN-DOH A350 // DOH-BCN A330 (17:45 hrs / 15:45 hrs)

Qatar:

Pro TK:
- Flexible changes cost cheaper (40 eur) vs QR (200 usd)
- 13,500+bonus Miles earned for my KF *A (But do not need the miles for status)
- Lounge access + *A Gold benefits

Pro QR:
- Cheaper tickets (by $360USD per tix)
- Shorter flight time for return leg (7 hrs!)

I think it's a pretty close decision. Appreciate any feedback you can give on the difference one might experience on economy.

Quick question also is how easy could it be for us to use the 7 hour layover to take a quick visit in Istanbul?

Thanks a milly!
I am TK E+,none the less I would go with QR in your case.

In total 720$ saved,7 hrs,shorter flight on the return,A350 > A330,better AVOD with QR,Champagne in Y.

I think 720$ beats the *G benefits,you couldbuy access to the ORYX Lounge in DOH,word has it that it is a decent one,and still saved a lot of money.

Food wise I would rate TK a little higher,for the service QR.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Le Accor Silver, Marriott Plat
Thanks so much for your advice guys. You guys rock and may you continue to have safe,pleasant and fruitful flights and travels!
Old May 18, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100
A bit of a toss-up. I have flown LH on both TK and QR. TK slightly better from past experience. I have status with OW and *A. The IST lounge is HUGE and quite incredible. I would recommend it - you have *G status.

Find the flights with shortest connections and .... remember that it is EASY to spend time in any lounge resting, showering, etc. Relax and count your blessings that you and the rest of us are not on a clipper ship
Old May 19, 2015, 2:11 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
You can match your SQ*G to AB Gold (onwWorld Sapphire) and get lounge access and emergency exit seating for free. Visit the AB forum for details.

PS> Free premium seating is a published Sapphire benefit - sometimes it works, sometimes does not but generally it is much better than with Star Alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.