A340 Business Class seat ?

Old Apr 21, 15, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
A340 Business Class seat ?

Hello.

Ive asked for feedback under other threads and feel maybe the question was lost in the broader discussion:

- has Tk upgraded any of its A340 with business class seats that are Fully lie-flat? (like new 333 & 777)

- or are all of their A340 still the old angled lie flat beige seats?

thanks!
Old Apr 22, 15, 5:56 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHG
1. No upgrade on A340 C seats
2. Same angled lie flat beige seats on all A340 birds.
Old Apr 30, 15, 4:54 pm

Although they have the best schedule on my favorite route, those seats are the reason why I didn't fly with them yet.
Old May 3, 15, 1:12 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
I looked at their in-flight magazine and (assuming the info is correct) they have only 4 A340's left. So: 1 is used for a daily BOS flight, 2 are used for new TPE flights and they also serve MNL (3 x weekly) with them. So chance of aircraft swap are pretty slim...
Old May 3, 15, 1:26 pm

MNL is where I am going. There are plenty of options to go on other airlines which offer a comfortable lie-flat seat. What is the point in booking C if the seat you get is uncomfortable and too short to sleep in it?
Old May 4, 15, 9:26 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by long legs View Post
MNL is where I am going. There are plenty of options to go on other airlines which offer a comfortable lie-flat seat. What is the point in booking C if the seat you get is uncomfortable and too short to sleep in it?
Yep - then go with another airline... This is a bit annoying that all new destinations (BOS, MNL, TPE, the same was with KUL) are flown with the oldest aircraft.
Old May 4, 15, 4:52 pm

Why Turkish Airlines is introducing new routes with completely outdated planes indeed is beyond my comprehension. Looks like they are intending to deter potential new customers.
Old May 13, 15, 10:12 pm
R2

Just got off MNL-IST on the A340 in C. The seat is indeed quite uncomfortable for sleeping. Not recommended as there are so many good alternatives to fly to MNL. This was my first flight with TK for years and quite a disappointment. I knew not to expect a lot hardware-wise in an old plane but service was poor too. There were only about 10 of us in Business class served by 4-5 crew members:

- no pre take-off drink offered (a first for me in LH C)
- wines were poor, dinner food was not bad
- the purser rudely told me: 'Don't talk to me when you're wearing the headset'. Fine, he may have a point but let's try to stay polite towards a paying premium passenger
- About 2,5 hours before landing bright cabin lights were abruptly turned on and they started breakfast service. Really, could this not have been an hour later as everyone was sleeping at the time (and just 10 pax to take care of)
- Breakfast order was taken at dinnertime. Yet, they had to ask everything again in the morning
- The breakfast omelette looked liked it had been flown in from IST on the outbound flight. I did not dare taste it

Lastly, amusing little detail: Prior to landing on IFE they showed what appeared to be a Turkish government e-visa commercial. This was run twice and in Turkish only. Now, I wonder how many people who need a visa for Turkey actually speak Turkish!
Old May 14, 15, 5:01 am

Thank you very much for your report. I found this picture of the seat. Is this the fully extended sleeping position?

Old May 14, 15, 8:23 pm
R2

Yes, that's indeed the seat in the sleeping position. It is wide enough but seriously angled, not particularly flat and - what you don't see in the photo - quite short as there is not much space for your legs under the seat in front of you. Annoyingly, the legrest on my seat did not stay up if I applied pressure but kept sliding back down towards the floor. I tried the aisle seat also and it had the same issue.

BTW, the blanket I was given was not what's in that photo but a flimsy economy class one.
Old May 15, 15, 3:15 am

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by R2 View Post
Yes, that's indeed the seat in the sleeping position. It is wide enough but seriously angled, not particularly flat and - what you don't see in the photo - quite short as there is not much space for your legs under the seat in front of you. Annoyingly, the legrest on my seat did not stay up if I applied pressure but kept sliding back down towards the floor. I tried the aisle seat also and it had the same issue.

BTW, the blanket I was given was not what's in that photo but a flimsy economy class one.
That is indeed the old seat on maximum angle.
I agree with the leg rest being not very strong and sometimes i put something under it to force it up.
Luckily my route don't get this type any more :-)
The blanket is the old version and now they have on most long routes the new one which is a complete set with big blanket, pillow etc.
I don't have the same experience on the soft product as normally they are reasonable good with mix of pre-drinks, being polite (even when talking with my earplugs in) and good food. Maybe you where unlucky.
Old May 15, 15, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by R2 View Post
Yes, that's indeed the seat in the sleeping position. It is wide enough but seriously angled, not particularly flat and - what you don't see in the photo - quite short as there is not much space for your legs under the seat in front of you.
TK is the only airline with which I can reach MNL by flying two segments. With any other airline I need three segments. But those seats are reason enough for me not to consider flying with TK. I am 1.90 m tall, and I was already wondering if that seat would be long enough for me. On TG's old 747 I made the experience what it means if the seat is too short. With the footrest up I didn't fit in, and with the footrest down I kept permanently sliding out of their seriously angled seat. That, most obviously, was so uncomfortable that sleeping became completely impossible.
Old May 31, 15, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Wish I would have saw this post earlier. We just requested home visit trip on TK25. Should have gong with the LH options. Screw TK.
Old Jun 1, 15, 3:48 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus, SAS EuroBonus Gold, American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thankfully there are now just 4 A340s in the fleet, and hopefully most of them will be gone by the end of the year.
Old Jun 1, 15, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by LH4116 View Post
Thankfully there are now just 4 A340s in the fleet, and hopefully most of them will be gone by the end of the year.
Our luck I bet we are flying the last one this Dec on TK56/57

Search this Thread