Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Entering US passport # for ticket purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, Miles and More, Mileage Plus, AAdvantage

Hi,
I just bought a one-way ticket from Europe to the USA (with a layover in IST) on Turkish airlines. I thought it was strange that the website never asked me for my passport information, address, or citizenship info.

I'm a US citizen and I reside in the US (I bought my ticket to Europe using miles on another airline), my billing info and credit card are all from the US as well. The flight in question is not until late January. Is it just too early to enter that info? (I can't select seats until the end of October, either).

I just can't remember the last time I purchased an international airline ticket and wasn't asked to provide that information!

Çok tessekur ederim!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Why is entering at purchase necessary?

You could easily renew (or even acquire for the first time) your passport between purchase and departure.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:25 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Totally unnecessary to enter passport details. Even the likes of UA only have this as "optional".
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, Miles and More, Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Thank you

Thank you both, I'm not sure why It is I've always figured you had to enter that information. Most of my recent international flights have been on United, and I didn't notice the "optional" part.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
You will be able to enter this info at online check in with TK. I just flew LAX-IST and was able to enter my PP info and print out my BP. Since I was not checking any luggage, I didn't even show TK my PP until boarding with my print out. However, I remember that I had also entered it when I purchased the ticket through TK's website (annoyed I had to enter it again during online check in) but did not get a sense it was mandatory to purchase the ticket.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
When to collect this information is entirely up to the airline in question and varies quite a lot from airline to airline.

The only requirement that the US have is that airlines send the APIS information through 30 minutes before securing the aircraft's doors at latest. Now whether to collect this information from you during booking or during check-in is entirely up to the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.