Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Blocked from purchasing status miles for upgrade!

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+

I was status matched to Elite nearly a year ago and am quite close to the 80,000 miles over the past 12 months for getting upgrade to Elite Plus.

I also saw on the M&S terms that Elites can buy up to 10,000 status miles per year towards a status upgrade.

However, when going into the status mile purchase option on the website, I'm getting this error:

("You have satisfied card rules. You do not need to buy statu miles")

I sent a message about this to their customer relations, quite a few days ago, but there's no reply from them so far, and I'm afraid that by the time they reply (in the past it took them literally months to reply to online queries!!) I will miss the upgrade time window.

Is there some hidden term somewhere preventing status-matched and/or first-year Elites from buying status miles towards a status upgrade?

Any other suggestions?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:57 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bamba70
I was status matched to Elite nearly a year ago and am quite close to the 80,000 miles over the past 12 months for getting upgrade to Elite Plus.

I also saw on the M&S terms that Elites can buy up to 10,000 status miles per year towards a status upgrade.

However, when going into the status mile purchase option on the website, I'm getting this error:

("You have satisfied card rules. You do not need to buy statu miles")

I sent a message about this to their customer relations, quite a few days ago, but there's no reply from them so far, and I'm afraid that by the time they reply (in the past it took them literally months to reply to online queries!!) I will miss the upgrade time window.

Is there some hidden term somewhere preventing status-matched and/or first-year Elites from buying status miles towards a status upgrade?

Any other suggestions?
You can only buy status miles to renew a status not to reach a higher one : so as you already have enough to renew your Elite status you can't buy status miles to renew and are not allowed to buy status miles to reach Elite Plus
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G_G
You can only buy status miles to renew a status not to reach a higher one : so as you already have enough to renew your Elite status you can't buy status miles to renew and are not allowed to buy status miles to reach Elite Plus
G_G, see at http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...its/elite-card :

...Classic Plus, Elite, Elite Plus card holders can purchase up to 10.000 status miles to upgrade their card status within one year.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:35 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bamba70
G_G, see at http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...its/elite-card :

...Classic Plus, Elite, Elite Plus card holders can purchase up to 10.000 status miles to upgrade their card status within one year.
you're right and I didn't know that but it seems weird as it is written

"Elite Plus card holders can purchase up to 10.000 status miles to upgrade their card status within one year"

To which status Elite Plus card holder should upgrade
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:35 am

you can convert 50k of your miles into status miles by 1/5 ratio and get 10k status miles and receive elite plus status; or less whatever you need to get elite plus
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by smashe
you can convert 50k of your miles into status miles by 1/5 ratio and get 10k status miles and receive elite plus status; or less whatever you need to get elite plus
Be careful,
Only M&S Credit Card holders are eligible for this opportunity.

Last edited by pencereamelesi; Jul 24, 2014 at 4:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:31 pm
mdb

locked out

I got the following message message, I am short for renewal and was hoping to buy the difference.

Seems I am locked out. This is not for upgrade, but for renewal(if that even makes a difference).

"Miles cannot be purchased. Please try again later."
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: TK/NH
similar situation here. I was hoping to reach elite plus by the end of November. but looks like I will be short of roughly 3000 miles by then. I honestly don't have the time to do a mileage/status run, is there any possiblity TK would allow me to buy the difference?
(I am Elite and will still be in my first year by November)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:07 am
mdb

I was able to buy what I needed as I got closer to renewal millage....
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mdb
I was able to buy what I needed as I got closer to renewal millage....
How close were you to renewal?
I do know someone who was 600 miles short of making it to Elite Plus, TK allowed him to buy 1000 miles...so I am guessing after certain threshold, Status Miles purchase will become available?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:53 am
mdb

They allowed me to buy the 2000 I needed.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I was about 2700 miles short of making Elite+ earlier this year, and the website allowed me to buy 3000 status miles. Status was upgraded instantly thereafter.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:47 am

I think you have to wait until you are in your second year to buy the upgrade. There is a one year criteria for keeping your status or a 2 year criteria and as you have achieved the miles needed to get your current status for an additional 2 years after your card expires you will have to wait until your current card is in it's final year. I hope this is correct
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:55 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by airoli
I was about 2700 miles short of making Elite+ earlier this year, and the website allowed me to buy 3000 status miles. Status was upgraded instantly thereafter.
Were you E+ already?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by grahamsue
I think you have to wait until you are in your second year to buy the upgrade. There is a one year criteria for keeping your status or a 2 year criteria and as you have achieved the miles needed to get your current status for an additional 2 years after your card expires you will have to wait until your current card is in it's final year. I hope this is correct
I really hope it is not though, otherwise I will have to make a run for only 3000 miles.

Did anyone have the experience of buying status miles in the 1st year? Right now, my account says since I am in the first year, I cannot buy status miles....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.