Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Help! Step-by-Step: How to book a Star Alliance award ticket with Miles & Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Step-by-Step: How to book a Star Alliance award ticket with Miles & Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by alex1111111
okay so after 10 days of phone calls and emails back and forth my PNR has finally been ticketed today! yaaaay!

So:

- OW limited capacity ticket from Oceania to Eur-2 does cost 115,000 miles and not 80,500 as their website states;
- Apparently, TK call centre agents are not aware of correct pricing - that is why I was repeatedly told that my ticket should cost me 80,500 miles -- hence all this confusion, finger pointing etc. And me running in circles;
- Eventually TK admitted that this whole situation is their fault & gave me one-off top up bonus so I could purchase the ticket I wanted. Everyone's happy.

@sydunipete my advice to you - start your booking process early & don't trust their website.

Also - contrary to what I read here they don't seem to have any problem combining several *A carriers in one PNR.
Congratulations! Enjoy your flights.

I've been working off the same table as you, but just then I did some more hunting around and found another table with matches your eventual experience - and there's a big difference. Sigh.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...d-ticket-chart

I'm guessing your taxes were more than the USD53 too?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:17 am

Well I think I paid around 100USD in taxes for my ticket.

The award chart you got is their old one; it was superseded by this http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/index_en.html
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by alex1111111
Well I think I paid around 100USD in taxes for my ticket.

The award chart you got is their old one; it was superseded by this http://www.new-milesandsmiles.com/index_en.html
Looking at the new table it looks like they quoted you from the guaranteed seat table not the limited seat table. Is it not possible to find availability on non-TK metal for limited availability seats?

I'm looking for SYD-ARN rtn in business for 105,000 points.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by sydunipete
Looking at the new table it looks like they quoted you from the guaranteed seat table not the limited seat table. Is it not possible to find availability on non-TK metal for limited availability seats?

I'm looking for SYD-ARN rtn in business for 105,000 points.
Not going to happen Limited availability Australia - Europe2 is 75,000 OW, so 150,000 for the RT. 'Seat guarantee' is going to be even more expensive

The award chart published on their website is rubbish (at least when it comes to Oceania)

Last edited by alex1111111; Mar 4, 2017 at 1:25 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: SEN
Unhappy

I called the hotline today to make use of some expiring miles. After a pretty efficient call, I got a mail with a confirmation code for the exact *A flight I had asked for. So far so good.

Two hours later I got a call from another TK agent informing me that my reservation was not valid because “the airline didn't see the confirmation”. Unfortunately, she could not explain what exactly the problem was nor did I get the impression that she tried ANYTHING to fix the reservation (or had any idea what to do in order to fix it). Her mission was simply to tell me that “the airline didn't see the confirmation” which she repeated about 10 times

As her English was rather basic I didn't ask for an alternative connection (which of course she did't bother to offer). Calling again another day. Wish me luck.

Last edited by superpointsLXflyer; Nov 8, 2017 at 5:04 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Can anyone clarify the following? I am trying to use my TK miles to book a one-way economy class ticket from JFK to HND on the following flights with a 4-hour transit in PEK
CA990 from JFK to PEK
NH964 from PEK to HND

The TK call centre staff member told me these are two separate reservations because the airlines are different so that I have to pay a total of 65000 miles. I told her this should count as a single reservation so that I have to pay 45000 miles. Is she right? Note that A3 and Aeroplan count this as a single reservation. hanks.

Last edited by bensim; Jul 3, 2018 at 1:23 pm Reason: add text
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by bensim
Can anyone clarify the following? I am trying to use my TK miles to book a one-way economy class ticket from JFK to HND on the following flights with a 4-hour transit in PEK
CA990 from JFK to PEK
NH964 from PEK to HND

The TK call centre staff member told me these are two separate reservations because the airlines are different so that I have to pay a total of 65000 miles. I told her this should count as a single reservation so that I have to pay 45000 miles. Is she right? Note that A3 and Aeroplan count this as a single reservation. hanks.
Yes, she is right. You cannot mix different airlines except with TK.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Thanks. Are you saying I can mix a TK and non-TK flight in one reservation with 45000 miles?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by bensim
Thanks. Are you saying I can mix a TK and non-TK flight in one reservation with 45000 miles?
Yes you can mix if on the same cabin class.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:50 am

Argh I see lots of availability on united. I call Turkish and they say no availability...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by daruda
Argh I see lots of availability on united. I call Turkish and they say no availability...
What route? Could it be due to married segments perhaps?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps
What route? Could it be due to married segments perhaps?
RMF - CAI with EgyptAir. Short oneway
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: TK*G
Ask for the specific flight numbers. I've had agents tell me there's no availability on any *A airline until I gave them the exact flight numbers from United.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by dozerman94
Ask for the specific flight numbers. I've had agents tell me there's no availability on any *A airline until I gave them the exact flight numbers from United.
just tried once again, now they are able to find business availability, but no economy.

United site has +2 tickets available in economy :/
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
just tried once again, now they are able to find business availability, but no economy.

United site has +2 tickets available in economy :/
Try writing to the ticket office at IAH to see if they find something different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.