Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Cash upgrade to Comfort class (IAH-IST) confirmed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Didn't find any discussion on this lately (newbie).

I recently upgraded IAH-IST leg of my IAH-IST-DEL ticket to comfort class from economy for $300. This was simply done by asking during check-in at IAH (they even had a sign but it was fairly hidden). Great deal given I was booked on a cheap economy fare (W).

One thing to note is that I wasn't able to upgrade the IST-IAH leg on the return when checking in at DEL (despite availability). They told me to inquire in IST but once arriving I got the run-around and was eventually told I would have to go to the check-in counters to get this processed and re-clear security, etc. I didn't try since I was worried about connection time, etc.

Hope this helps someone else traveling on TK soon / until they keep comfort class.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:37 am

Thanks for this post. I had the exact question you answered.

I think. We are traveling IAH - IST in July en route to JRO.

I would like to upgrade 4 of us to economy comfort.

However, we are traveling on reward tickets (through United).

Does anyone know if we have any likelihood of being able to do so?

Bill
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite
I also saw the sign on LAX-IST but the price was $330.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:25 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Please keep in mind also that if your ticket was issued through another booking site that is not TK, you might run into trouble trying to upgrade in IST, at least in my experience.

My ticket was purchased through Vayama.com and the ticket stock was 001 (AA). At LAX, I upgraded to Comfort Class without any problems. Then on the return in IST I went to the airport ticket counter and they were hesitant to even modify or change anything citing that it was not on TK stock, despite having been upgraded on the outbound.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

I was on a revenue ticket issued directly from TK's website so can't comment on upgrade availability on non TK issued tickets or UA reward tickets. I can say though at IAH, the ticketing agent didn't seem to even check the class or type of ticket I had. Only checked if there were available seats in Comfort, asked how I wanted to pay and informed me that I would still get the regular vegetarian meal from Economy.

I would say its worth a shot to ask and if room, my guess is they want the extra $$ at IAH

Good luck and hope you get the Comfort upgrade, money well spent IMO.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:04 pm

RKJ2016, how was your IAH - IST flight? My wife and I are booked for April 29 and are considering paying for the upgrade to comfort class. Was it worth it? How was temperature in plane? Food and service?

Any tips ?

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:40 pm

Thanks rkj2106!

Worth $300 (x4)?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Boulder Bill - IMO its worth $300 x 4. Comfort class feels a lot more like business than economy. If you are a tall passenger like me it makes a huge difference between a painful or enjoyable flight to IST...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:24 pm

Question

Originally Posted by rkj2106
I recently upgraded IAH-IST leg of my IAH-IST-DEL ticket to comfort class from economy for $300. This was simply done by asking during check-in at IAH (they even had a sign but it was fairly hidden).
Hope this helps someone else traveling on TK soon / until they keep comfort class.
  1. Did you get the impression that the price of the buy-up depended on the fare class of the underlying ticket?
  2. Was there an offering for you to buy-up from economy all the way to business?
  3. Was there a sign for those in Comfort Class to buy-up to business?

Last edited by IAATM; Apr 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Miles awarded?

Thanks for the info info. Did you earn economy or comfort miles to your bonus program?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

@IAATM

1. My impression was that the buy-up did not depend on the fare class (I was on a discount econ fare class)
2. I was not offered buy-up all the way to business but once again I wouldn't hesitate to ask.
3. There was a sign from Econ to Comfort (albeit a bit hidden) and I don't recall it having an offer to buy-up to Business (my main objective was to move from Econ to Comfort).

@Gnopps

I earned miles based on my original fare class (in my case discount economy).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:16 pm

@IAATM

1. My impression was that the buy-up did not depend on the fare class (I was on a discount econ fare class)
2. I was not offered buy-up all the way to business but once again I wouldn't hesitate to ask.
3. There was a sign from Econ to Comfort (albeit a bit hidden) and I don't recall it having an offer to buy-up to Business (my main objective was to move from Econ to Comfort).
Many thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:05 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
So long, comfort class...

Enjoy while it lasts, premium economy on this route is discontinued on 7/28.

Old May 1, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Is TK getting rid of Comfort class on all routes or just the US <-> IST routes?
Old May 1, 2014, 2:16 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Is TK getting rid of Comfort class on all routes or just the US <-> IST routes?
Everywhere. Gone forever.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...comfort-class/

http://seatplans-asia.businesstravel...omfort-Class-1

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior...emium-economy/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.