Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Post your recent Operational Upgrade as Miles&Smiles Elite Plus/Elite/Classic Plus

Post your recent Operational Upgrade as Miles&Smiles Elite Plus/Elite/Classic Plus

Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Airline: TK
Route: SJJ-IST
Date: 3 Aug 2019
Booked cabin: Eco
Upgraded cabin: Bus
Number of passengers: 3
Miles&Smiles Level: Elite (all three)
Booking Class: T
rozy and starflyergold like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Airline: TP
Route: LIS-FCO
Date: 17 Aug 2019
Booked cabin: Economy
Upgraded cabin: Bussiness
Number of passengers: 1
Miles&Smiles Level: Elite
Booking Class: O
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Two of my friends who just signed up for M&S while on holiday in South Africa (and thus have no status at all) got upgraded to C on their final IST-DUS leg. Very pleasant surprise for them!
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Quick question has anyone been upgraded on an award ticket. My wife has flight is in couple of days and the flight is showing sold out in economy. She is on an award ticket and is classic member. Does being on an award ticket automatically disqualify you from upgrade? Any data points?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
AFAIK award tickets aren’t eligible for upgrades, sorry... Not sure if that also applies in an overbooking situation, but I imagine classic members aren’t on top of the list.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Airline: Lufthansa
Route: LH 1305 IST-FRA
Booked cabin: Economy Class
Upgraded cabin: Business Class
Date: 23 August 2019
Miles&Smiles level: Elite Plus
Booking class: Y

Upgraded at the gate at IST. Was originally seated at 11A ( bulkhead ) and moved to 2F ( bulkhead ).
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: TK*G
Airline: LH
Route: CDG-MUC
Date: 23 Jul2019
Upgraded cabin: Business
Number of passengers: 2
Miles&Smiles Level: Elite
Booking Class: V
Partner's *A status: None

Upgraded in the lounge at CDG
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:30 am

Just a data point was upgraded at gate on my ist lhr segment. Flight oversold was on award ticket. If it matters I hold e+ status

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
AFAIK award tickets aren’t eligible for upgrades, sorry... Not sure if that also applies in an overbooking situation, but I imagine classic members aren’t on top of the list.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
Just a data point was upgraded at gate on my ist lhr segment. Flight oversold was on award ticket. If it matters I hold e+ status
gr8pirate meant that award tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades.
Operational upgrades are something completely different.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
Quick question has anyone been upgraded on an award ticket. My wife has flight is in couple of days and the flight is showing sold out in economy. She is on an award ticket and is classic member. Does being on an award ticket automatically disqualify you from upgrade? Any data points?
I bought ticket for 15K miles. TZX to IST and IST to BRU. I got upgraded as below.

Airline: Turkish Airlines
Route: TK1941 IST - BRU
Booked Cabin: Economy
Upgraded Cabin: Business class
Miles&Smiles level: Elite
Booking class: X
gr8pirate and Squalusss like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
gr8pirate meant that award tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades.
Operational upgrades are something completely different.
Yes I know, my question was regarding operational upgrade and I think most were unclear about the same. From what it looks like operational upgrade has no bearing on your ticket class.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Airline: LX SWISS
Route: FCO-ZRH
Date: 8 Aug 2019
Upgraded cabin: Business
Miles&Smiles Level: Elite Plus
Booking Class: S (medium low LH group fare)
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Does anybody know how gate upgrades work? Does the system automatically picks passenger if the plane is oversold (based on check in) and using certain rules (status, ticket fare class etc) and then it is not important when do you appear at gate (you can be last and still got upgraded) or it is who first come to the gate based on some "internal list of passengers who can be upgraded if needed). Probably every airline is doing this differently, I'm mostly interested in TK.

Just want to see does it make sense and use status to board among first or to spend more time in the lounge and board among last

Last edited by BurekTheGreat; Aug 27, 2019 at 3:51 am
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BurekTheGreat
Does anybody know how gate upgrades work? Does the system automatically picks passenger if the plane is oversold (based on check in) and using certain rules (status, ticket fare class etc) and then it is not important when do you appear at gate (you can be last and still got upgraded) or it is who first come to the gate based on some "internal list of passengers who can be upgraded if needed). Probably every airline is doing this differently, I'm mostly interested in TK.

Just want to see does it make sense and use status to board among first or to spend more time in the lounge and board among last
The order is;

- Elite Plus
- Elite
- Star Gold
- Classic Plus
- Star Silver
- Classic
- Other *A FTL

However, I am not sure how the upgrade system works within each status.
Also, if there is a Turkish deputy or Turkish Airlines board of directors member onboard that day, they get upgraded before everyone else.

Boarding last may not work, usually, a ground staff with a walkie-talkie comes onboard, a few minutes before boarding has completed, and tells you that you are upgraded. Then they let standby passengers in.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The order is;

- Elite Plus
- Elite
- Star Gold
- Classic Plus
- Star Silver
- Classic
- Other *A FTL

However, I am not sure how the upgrade system works within each status.
Also, if there is a Turkish deputy or Turkish Airlines board of directors member onboard that day, they get upgraded before everyone else.

Boarding last may not work, usually, a ground staff with a walkie-talkie comes onboard, a few minutes before boarding has completed, and tells you that you are upgraded. Then they let standby passengers in.
I always thought that upgrade is done when they check your boarding pass at the gate, but if I read this correctly upgrade in TK happens when you are already on-board the plane and seating at your seat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.