Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Post your recent Operational Upgrade as Miles&Smiles Elite Plus/Elite/Classic Plus

Post your recent Operational Upgrade as Miles&Smiles Elite Plus/Elite/Classic Plus

Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BurekTheGreat
I always thought that upgrade is done when they check your boarding pass at the gate, but if I read this correctly upgrade in TK happens when you are already on-board the plane and seating at your seat?
For IST, it usually happens after seated in your seat unless the flight is significantly overbooked or if you're already at standby for a mileage upgrade.
For outstations it might differ.

Also, standby passengers for a mileage upgrade would go on the top of the list before Elite Plus members seeking for an op-up.
BurekTheGreat likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
The order is;

- Elite Plus
- Elite
- Star Gold
- Classic Plus
- Star Silver
- Classic
- Other *A FTL
Where did you get that information, ISTflyer? There was much grumbling about inconsistency about upgrade priority here a few years back, with the crew “friends and family” upgrades seeming to trump all.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Where did you get that information, ISTflyer? There was much grumbling about inconsistency about upgrade priority here a few years back, with the crew “friends and family” upgrades seeming to trump all.
This was somewhere on the TK website, but it's either removed or I can't find it.
Obviously, they wouldn't write on their website that standby crew members and their family would be on top of the list. Most airlines upgrade their crew or their employees first before their high tier pax.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
A few years ago I was flying Adb>Ist with a couple. I was elite at the time and my friend was elite plus and his wife was classic. Flight was overbooked and the couple in question got upgraded despite one of them holding no status and therefore jumped infront of me and perhaps other E+/ E passengers. I assume they were under the same pnr and/or shared the same last name.

Another time I was doing Lhr> Ist with a friend who was also Elite but only I got upgraded. We then wondered what the tiebreaker was; membership date , class (we were both q i think), current miles, total miles since joining etc.

Bottom line, they need to be more transparent.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by aircommodore
A few years ago I was flying Adb>Ist with a couple. I was elite at the time and my friend was elite plus and his wife was classic. Flight was overbooked and the couple in question got upgraded despite one of them holding no status and therefore jumped infront of me and perhaps other E+/ E passengers. I assume they were under the same pnr and/or shared the same last name.

Another time I was doing Lhr> Ist with a friend who was also Elite but only I got upgraded. We then wondered what the tiebreaker was; membership date , class (we were both q i think), current miles, total miles since joining etc.

Bottom line, they need to be more transparent.
I understand - and share - much of your thoughts. That said I don't necessarily agree/think that an airline should be more transparent with this. There are many more factors which might play a role in upgrading people. Many airlines are for example reluctant to upgrade frequent business class travellers too many times when they fly in Y. This is because they fear these passengers might get used a bit too much to bagging a free upgrade - and thus might very well decide the next time to buy a ticket in Y if they think a flight will be overbooked, instead of buying a full-fare J ticket!

In the same way, an airline might very well hand out an upgrade more easily to a person with status who solely flies Y in the hope to lure him into buying a business class ticket outright the next time he needs to fly if the pax in question likes the service level and extra comfort - and wants more of it.

The only factor where I do think airlines need to be more transparent - and strict - is when it comes to the upgrading of friends/family/mistresses/the neighbour of the aunt of their old university mate etc. etc. This is not solely a problem on TK - almost all airlines do this unfortunately - but I think it sets a lousy example and is potentially even harming business, especially when those paying full J-fare see those on a free upgrade getting much better care and attention in-flight.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I have grown tired of seeing the wife of the captain in the first row of whatever TK business flight that I am on. Great, let the Captain's wife fly.............even in J, but she should take whatever seat is left, not the best one. Also, tired of seeing off-duty TK pilots transporting loud animals (like purring cats or yapping small dogs) in the cabin, it makes me nuts.
no_idea and vincewy like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:46 am

Not me but the passenger sitting next to me at IST-TXL today in J-cabin was upgraded from Y at the gate. He had an Asiana boarding pass that had a Y seat assignment that was crossed-out with a pen. I don’t know if he did have elite status.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Got upgraded last week IST-BUD. The flight seat map showed full in coach and my BP was issued without a problem. Got to the gate and she took my BP and passport to the computer to check on something. No idea what as I was given the same BP back along with my passport (note: I saw quite a few people have to do this). Naturally the flight was delayed (I've never once had an on-time departure from IST). When my BP was scanned during boarding it beeped and showed red. She hand-wrote a seat assignment on it.

I'm *G through United. The queue for boarding business/fast track/*G was only 10 people deep and I was about #5 . No one before me got a hand written seat assignment and no one who boarded after me from that queue sat in business class.

I have a hard time believing I would have ranked #1 for an OpUp on this flight. I was on a "Q" fare FYI.

I did see someone sitting in my original coach seat but I did not walk back through the plane to see if every seat was occupied for the flight or if there were no-shows. There were empty seats In business.

-RM
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:50 pm

Airline: Turkish Airlines
Route: TK1844 Athens (ATH) – Istanbul (IST)
Booked cabin: Economy Class
Upgraded cabin: Business Class
Number of passengers: 1
Miles&Smiles level: Elite
Booking class: X

Always nice to receive an upgrade on a widebody, even if the route is short. Especially considering it is on an award ticket in Y.
rozy, raporot, gr8pirate and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Route: TK1967 Istanbul (IST) - Birmingham (BHX)
Booking class: U
Romanianflyer and gr8pirate like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
Route: TK1594 Frankfurt (FRA) - Istanbul (IST)
Number of passengers: 2
Miles&Smiles level: Elite Plus / Classic
Booking class: L

Route: TK1593 Istanbul (IST) - Frankfurt (FRA)
Miles&Smiles level: Elite Plus / Classic
Booking class: P
rozy, gr8pirate and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
2 OpUps last month for myself and another TK E+ on the same reservation.

Route: IKA-IST
Miles&Smiles level: Elite Plus
Booking class: E

Route: IST-LED
Booking class: E
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Route: IST-TBS
Date: 11/10/19
Booking class: Q

Route: TBS-IST
Date: 14/10/19
gr8pirate and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:04 am

Route: IST-ZRH
Date: 20/10/19
Airplane: A321 Neo
Booked cabin: Economy Class (Promotion Ticket with Miles)
Booking class: X (Promotion Ticket)
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:44 pm

Route: TK1041 Istanbul (IST) - Bucharest (OTP)

TK and the upgrade Gods are continuing to be kind
ISTFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.