Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

JFK cancellations due to winter storm Janus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Hope I'm posting on the right place.

I'm on Turkish Airlines flight 12 to IST, which departs JFK tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11:15pm. A few questions:

1. What's the likelihood it will get delayed? Cancelled?

2. Should I try to get on the earlier (12:55pm) flight to IST? I booked through Vayama, and both Vayama and Turkish airlines say they can't change it. But Vayama did say it might be worth just showing up at the airport and seeing what happens.

3. If it is cancelled, which flight would they rebook me on?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by notsofrequentflyerguy
Hi,

I'm on Turkish Airlines flight 12 to IST, which departs JFK tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11:15pm. A few questions:

Thanks!
the operating airline - Turkish will try to find you space on any other carrier they can find a seat on for you. You wont know in advance which airline they will put you on
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by notsofrequentflyerguy
Hi,

1. What's the likelihood it will get delayed? Cancelled?

2. Should I try to get on the earlier (12:55pm) flight to IST? I booked through Vayama, and both Vayama and Turkish airlines say they can't change it. But Vayama did say it might be worth just showing up at the airport and seeing what happens.

Thanks!
I'm in Washington DC, where it has just begun to snow lightly at 10 AM, with no accumulation yet. The storm is supposed to move N, and would probably reach the NYC area in a few hours. If I were you, I'd go to JFK this morning and try to get on the earlier flight. You might also check with Turkish Airlines again, since they may have updated their storm policies since you contacted them. As far as your last question is concerned, they might rebook you on another *A airline, such as LH, LX or OS, with a change in FRA, MUC, ZRH or VIE if your flight is cancelled early enough.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
there are still seats on Turkish 4 which leaves at 12:55. I'd go to Airport and try to get on it.
Plea your case regarding the weather and it might work... It's gonna be nasty storm, lot's of flights will be cancelled, so they might want to accommodate on on an earlier flight...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA
I flew into EWR today and was impressed with how well the deicing was going.

And at JFK, it look like Turkish 12 got off after about an hour delay, which isn't too surprising, with 8" of snow there today!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/THY12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.